• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezeing... But don't know what

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathersalan

On a game called DF:BHD once in a while.. well this happen to me 2 times.. first time I thought it was video card..but this time it happen when card was only at 64*C.. I was about to shoot someone but I felt this sudden slide show like a big program running.. sound got choppy, the screen turned into a slide show.. than boom the whole computer frozen

I opened up the case... video card place was not that hot.. but when I got near the memory chips that's connected to the motherboard..cit was very hot around it.. it was not the CPU because I touched its heat sink and it felt normal

I don't know but this is really a scary thing...

if its the power supply, video card, CPU, HDD, memory sticks or what

Is anything overclocked on your system? It could very well be the DIMMs, a lot of times when a motherboard dies (having to replace it) any POST beeps will say it is the memory modules. I am not sure why the memory modules would be that hot though, unless you did not set the DIMM clock correctly and trying to overclock it more than it should be (like a 400Mhz on a PC2700).

I think he was refering to the motherboards chipset if I am not mistaken, probably the north bridge main chip - they usually are the ones that have the heatsink on and have the graphics throughput going through it if I am not mistaken..
correct me if I amw rong anyone....

They do usually get very hot those chipsets. I know on all my motherboards they always get hot.. and the ram on a sys does get hot also... but not as much as the motherboard chipset does..

Another major heat source within the tower/case are the drives.. if you have them stacked to close to each other, and they're fixed near the ram they can bleed of heat onto the ram or what-ever is closest to them..

Try a couple of extra fans, they are fairly cheap now.....

Only thing I have overclocked on the computer is the video card... and the temp was about 65 when it happen.. ands its just a leadtek A6600 @ 500/1000...

It just felt like a big slide show for 6 sec's al of a sudden! the sound got choppy ofcourse and this slideshow gotton slower...slower...every second than the whole thing froozen someone was saying I could set my graphics apeture size to 256 before this happen... could that be doing this? And the memory module is yes blocked by some wires... the case does have enough airflow.. its a Aspire X-dreamer case with about 6 case fans The motherboard is new.. its a Asus A7N8X-X (got it 5 months ago) never had a problem with that but when I got a new video card about 6 months ago..a radeon 9600XT it yes did make my system frozen but this was before I got the new motherboard and all.. I was playing around..and it all of a sudden frozen.. no slide show.. no choppy sounds during it.. I am thinking its my memory.. its 2 years old.. no heatsink on it and yeah been through allot of configuration

I've got to kno what the problem is... would a video card make the computer freeze? its a leadtek A6600 @ 500/1000 and the temp at that time was about 65*C

PC specs are in my sig

having many case fans isn't gonna help airflow if the wires are blocking it. Rewire it.

also, videocards go VERY high temps (some get around 80-90°C on load, nVidia cards)... probably memory, try Memtest86+

I would be looking into a better cooling if my card was going 80-90°C, but I agree with solid, I still think it has to do with the DIMMs.

well.. a video card will or will not make the whole thing turn into a slide show than completely making the whole computer freeze?

Does sound like something to do with the cpu or ram doesn't it...

Just doesnt sound like a graphics card issue at all really -- I mean the card would artifact before dropping to a stepping slideshow effect - if it got to hot.

As for the agp appeture size, thats just how much of the your systems ram you want to use for textures after the graphics card ram has been used up on them..

Some people say the higher you go the better perf you get, others say your best bet is to just equal that which is on your card, either 128mb or 256mb..

Unless you have like rediculous ammounts of ram, talking 3gig here or something, in which case you could quite happily give it a gig all of it's own lol.

I would say take your ram out and try some other ram - or drop the ram or perhaps just the FSB for now.. and see what happens..

Do as advised above, drop your system bus speed and stress test your system with prime95.

I would stress test with both prime95 and Memtest86+, if it passes both, I would start stress testing with the game you are having problems with.

The only time I have ever seen a video card give slide show quality without artifacting was when I had the microsoft drivers installed for the card (back when I was having problems with my motherboard freezing with the catalyst drivers).

Back