• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried my mobo, need a new one!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fallen Phoenix

Well, I was putting on my new Zalman Heatsink (that mother is HUGE) and I put everything back together... turn it on... and smell silicone burning. Now it won't even go to P.O.S.T. so I think the mobo itself is fried. Swapped power supplies, tried booting with just the video card, all the drives disconnected, swapped out harddrives... just the usual test pattern on the monitor. And when I had the Raidmax psu in there, it would only come on for a second then turn off since it's power on demand. I'm going to try flashing the BIOS in a second and see if that helps anything. Just in case I have fried the little sucker, I'm gonna need a new one so I need suggestions for a good Intel based motherboard. I'd like to keep cost down if possible, but I want something good. If I can still use my Willy in a new motherboard I'd like that option too since I don't have the cash to get a new motherboard really, much less a new $200+ processor. It's just a good thing I sold a bass rig and guitar a couple weeks ago so I've got some cash at all, and that my dad keeps his own computer running so I can check stuff online. I need a new mobo quick, I'm having withdrawals already!!!

I'm looking for $100-$150 for the motherboard, but only if I can upgrade to a P4C later on the same board. This was my problem with this board...
BrokenLead.JPG

Ouch, gonna try jumpering the broken lead just so I have something for now.

The IS7 doesn't support 400Mhz chips so would have to choose a different board or upgrade your chip. And yes, the Abit IS7 supports p4C chips. Have you looked at the Asus P4PE-X? It can support the P4C chips, but I haven't seen any reviews about it yet.

Hate to sound all negative to your post, but YES
is7 DOES support 400mhz front side bus chips.
Kinda hard to argue this too , since thats what im currently posting this on.

(is7-e & craptacular 2 gig celly O/C'ed to 2.9)

If you still need a new mobo, I have a very old msi something or other I can shoot you for like 10 bucks..

(looks in closet) msi 645e

cheers

Yes, it supports 400 MHz chips, but I beleive it does not support Willamette chips. That 2 gig celly you have is a northwood core.

I forget the exact topic of this but I've decided on a new mobo and a 2.4gig P4C when I can sell my car and for now I'm waiting on that msi board from Spade to tide me over till I can upgrade. Now to start shopping for motherboards for the new CPU.

Back