• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friendly competition between friends

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which rig looks better?

• AMD Rig

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Intel Rig

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

mumala

Hello everyone. My friend and i have been arguing over who has the best looking system. We both have constructed the systems with low budget in mind and i know other rigs look mindblowing but this is between me and him.

System specs:
AMD system - amd phenom 2 x6 3.0ghz
- 8gb ram ddr3
-AMD HD6990 dual gpu watercooled by handmade loop
-Corsair AX850 psu
-etc

-note : the cooling has a closed loop between the 2 gpu's , their vram , gpu vrm and a 240mm aluminum cooler in the back of the case then back to the pump

Intel system - Intel dual core G series @3ghz
- 4gb ddr3 ram
-Nvidia GTX660 overclocked so above spec wattage I guess
-@ 500w psu
-hybrid water and air cooling adding redundancy in case of a malfunction

-note : the cooling system cools both cpu and gpu by air and each cooler has waterpipes running thru taking heat from the system to the outside into a recipient that is not sealed and is recirculated by a pump of course. This system seems to run quieter than my system because of fewer fans.

Intel rig

Amd rig

If an admin thinks this is not in the right place he can move the thread to where it must be. Also i would like a poll added but don't know how. Intel rig vs Amd rig.

Both are pretty 'rigged'... but between them, looks only, the bottom amd rig looks better to me... but both need some cleaning up wire/pipe management wise.

Creative implementations!!!! :)

AMD rig wins for me, but needs some cable management action for sure.

Holy ghetto mods batman! :eek: Very creative on both sides. They both need some serious cable management tho.

Mad kudos for slapping these together with limited budgets :thup:

Thanks everyone , we apreciate the attention. Both systems are work in progress , my friend wants to make it as simple as possible but we all know it gets complicated when you need to cool more than 120w. I need to change the fugly cooler on the cpu for the amd system , probably link it to the gpu loop when time and money will allow it. Updates will be shown here when possible.

Very nice. Voting purely on aesthetics I chose Intel. I love the Hybrid concept. To be totally honest I like the copper plumbing you have going on but his cable management and that CPU cooler on yours was the deciding factor for me.

Great Job!

Very cool DIY's. I'm curious to know what the budgets were on both builds.

Also, have some data (temps) to share with us based on both systems running the same benchmarks?

I will say, be careful with that aluminum rad. It's most likely eating up your loop's copper.

the soldered copper in the amd rig takes it hands down.
god, home brews are the best!!!!!!!

Very cool DIY's. I'm curious to know what the budgets were on both builds.

Also, have some data (temps) to share with us based on both systems running the same benchmarks?

I will say, be careful with that aluminum rad. It's most likely eating up your loop's copper.

I know there could be problems with copper - aluminum mixing, also im getting buildups in the loop and the performance is a little lower so cleanup and upgrade is gonna happen soon.
Here are some pics with a furmark test (no 1080p monitor yet)
and a view from the back.

DSC_0057.jpg fur1680.jpg furmark.jpg

I am liking the AMD build based on the piping.
Agree the wiring needs attention and can be better with no impact on the budget.
Spray paint is very inexpensive and a black interior will make the copper tubes really pop

LOL! WOW That went over my head! It never worked out well on bar nights. I will head to bed now. :escape:

Hi. I'm the owner of the Intel rig

CPU - Intel G2030 Dual core @ 3GHZ Socket 1155

CPU Cooler - Moded hybrid cooling - temps 40C idle and 48C full load ... Note that the cpu is ****

Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G43

Ram - 1 stick Corsair Vengence 4 GB @ 1600 and 1 Stick Patriot 4GB @ 1333

GPU - Gigabyte Windforce GTX660 with 2 GB of ram and MODDED BIOS

GPU Cooler - Moded with a single copper pipe for water cooling Idle 32 C full load 44 - 47C

PSU - Super Flower 600W

Case - Deepcool Tesseract

CPU COOLER

2n7hztj.jpg

GPU COOLER

wu03mf.jpg

A bit of gameplay on the rig

The psu cables are short the dust... Lazy to clean
I do have 2 120mm fans bringing clean air thru a big fan filter on the side panel.
I could NOT AFORD a water cooling RAD so i'm using a 7 liter pot witch gets pretty hot after about 2 hours of gaming but does the job all in all
The pump is a silent aquarium pump.

Thank you all for your time in reading this.

Last edited:
No problem mate.

Actually i had an argument with my friend about the watercooling. I busted him to go hybrid like me since our stuff is home made but does the job.

The problem apears when IT FAILS. I can still play games on air cooling with no problems with a 10 degree plus but if the pump fails on a watercoold PC when you are not at home you can kiss it goodbye.

I think the major brands should take this into consideration.

What's hard for them to add another pipe between the existing cooler heatpipes !?

Back