• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED From External to Internal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ious

Registered
Hey guys, I haven't posted on here since my first PC build.
It went perfectly, thanks to you guys! :D

And now, I have a bit of a problem.

My friend asked me to put together a PC for him. He got a pretty decent system for around $650. I then asked him if he had an OS like Windows. He told me that he knows a guy who can get it to him. I asked him how and he said that his friend can install an ios of Windows 7 onto his external hard drive. He also told me that he plans to install Windows 7 from his external hard drive into his new internal hard drive. I told him that I didn't think it was possible.

So, if you don't want to read, the question is:
Is it possible to install Windows 7 FROM an ios file in an EXTERNAL hard drive INTO a new INTERNAL hard drive? And if not, then what else can he do with a ios file of Windows 7?

I've looked all over for an answer, but I couldn't find one, but then I remembered the amazing forum that helped me with my build.

OFF TOPIC P.S: Can you run Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings with a Radeon HD 6850? If so, what FPS?

Not sure if it's possible from an ISO on a HDD. Probably not.

But why not just burn the ISO to DVD????

And I hope the guy has a valid Win7 Licence?....

I'm pretty sure he does.

And how do you exactly burn the ISO to the DVD? I don't think it's a matter of just drag and drop...

If you are running Windows 7, you right click on the ISO and it gives you the option. Otherwise, you would need an ISO burning program. There are a ton of free ones available.

Oh...
Well, that's pretty simple.
Do you know how much space the ISO will take up in the DVD?

And after that all he needs to do is put the DVD into the drive and it will start automatically?

EDIT: The Window 7 ISO works with an image burner? Wut...

It would use the whole disk.

Once you burn the disk, you restart with that in the system, select the DVD drive as the boot device and follow the prompts.

We don't close completed thread here, but you can mark the thread "solved" using the Thread Tools menu above your first post.

Back