• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Front USB 2.0 ports not working.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

The 2 front USB 2.0 ports on my case/MB aren't working. I thought it might've been a bad front usb cord on my old case, but my new case has the same problem. The 3.0 ports work fine, 2.0 nope. Anyone know what could be the problem here? Thanks

Were they accidently disabled in BIOS? If you're under windows, check the device manager, make sure USB drivers are showing right and all that. (And actually do you get any indication in Windows if something is plugged in?) Any bent/cracked pins on the USB header itself?

(Sorry, partly just talking to myself)

I'll check the BIOS settings. Device manager doesn't show any problems. Well, when I plug in or unplug the front USB 3.0 I hear the normal windows USB sound, but no sound when doing the same with the USB 2.0 ports. No pins are bent on the MOBO header.

What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Is it confirmed not working (you don't see whatever stick you plug in within file explorer?)?

Have you tried a different USB 2.0 header on the board (if it has one) to see if it was the header itself? If you don't have one, the fact that it travelled to different cases should tell us that the header is off or went bad.

It's confirmed either not working or not recognizing it. In BIOS all USB ports are enabled. Only 1 USB header. If it is the header, is it fixable or do I have to purchase a new board?

For me, lets start with the easiest stuff first.
1) Look for physical damage. Does the inner plastic bit wiggle?
2) Now look at the contacts on the plastic bit. Over time, the metal leads can get bent and pulled away then shoved down deep into the socket. Use a very good pen light to look and see if anything looks out of place.
3) Insert a USB drive. While looking at your drives, wiggle the usb drive back and forth. Move it one direction and hold it, does it work? Move it in the other direction and hold it. Does it work? Note: Don't use any realy pressure to do this, just hold it to one side then the other.

If that all shows nothing, then look at the header as mentioned above. Keep in mind that the front ports have a circut board and they can go bad just like any other circut board.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It's confirmed either not working or not recognizing it. In BIOS all USB ports are enabled. Only 1 USB header. If it is the header, is it fixable or do I have to purchase a new board?

If it is the board, you can either use a different header if it has one or buy a cheap USB to PCIe card with a header on it. I wouldn't buy a new board just for a USB header.

Back