• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frontpage Featured External Watercooling rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1067/

I was in charge of writing the review, helping get some of the parts, and in helping with the desgn... Dino ("Thundr7") did all the hard work actually building it.

This will be brought to the March Boston LAN Party (see this thread for details), so you can see this one in person (he should have an overclocked 2100+ Tbred 'B' by then).

Last edited:
Nice ive been thinkin bout somthing similar to this.
Thou im gettin some kind of fast links between the tubing from the wb. Everything else in a small box hooked to the bottom of the case.

The_wiZ said:
Everything else in a small box hooked to the bottom of the case.

That would be ideal, but then the cost of this unit would sky-rocket as you'd have to pay $40+ for the second box (and would need to find one that matches the color and design of your case). We preferred the cheap(-er -est) method :p

Rottys-R-Us said:
Dang Pinky that makes for one BIG shroud :)

If you're willing to throw a few development dollars this way I'm positive we could shrink it 50% for you :D

How are you planning on moving it (putting it on top of the case?)?
and
where are you bringing the waterlines into?

gulp35 said:
How are you planning on moving it (putting it on top of the case?)?
and
where are you bringing the waterlines into?

We'll actually have to take the waterblock off and drain it to be moved (no biggie).

The lines come in right above the keyboard/mouse ports in the back, a small area that goes unused was cut out.

nut581 said:
that is a great setup .. i'm gonna copy your setup for my rig .. i'll post pics when it's done :D .. thx guys!!

Please post them! Be eager to see how you go about doing this as no two cubes could ever be the same :)

Dang it! You guys Hijacked my Idea. Not really however I decided I did not want the Heater core or Fan in the system. Actually I did not want to put the Ford F-150 H/C or the Comair 172mm Fan in the case. :eek: I have the Chietec/Antec big case but I dont like it cluttered and Leak possibility. However I did want the pump in the case, as I could not find a resivior that I liked that would attach to the cube. Not telling you anymore :), just yet.

OH the EVO block does not leak either. and Looks Muy Primo.

wcbox.jpg

Here is my Idea for an external W/c case.
Orange is F150 rad.
Black is a Fan
Blue is the pump

This is going to be set on top of my PC60 since I don't want to hack up my case.

Do you think it would work well?
Can you give more detail about the electrical components (How did you hook the Fan and Pump to power?)
Can you rheostat AC fans?

Last edited:
gulp35 said:
Do you think it would work well?
Can you give more detail about the electrical components (How did you hook the Fan and Pump to power?)
Can you rheostat AC fans?

It will work, though lengthwise the box will have less spots for heat to collect.

As far a how Dino did the specific double pull/throw and added the power light, I'm gonna have him login and explain that one himself (since I was not part of the process and could only speculate).

The double pole/throw switch I pulled from the junked washer is pretty much self explanetory.
it has 4 connections:

2 on
2 off

All you do is splice the red wire (+) and connect each end of the wire to each connector of the switch. Just like a light switch except it's double.
You do this to both the fan and the pump. The object here is to use only 1 switch to power on/off both items. The power light runs basically the same way. I'm not a paint guru so i really can't draw ya a pic. All i can do is explain it the best and simple way i can to help anyone out with it.

If you have any questions, i'll try my best to answer them.

:)

Just curious... are there any "mini-case" like boxes out there that could be used instead of that tub? Cost aside...

I'd like to make my WC set-up external but it would be nice to stick it on the top of the case.

Re: ...

Literatii said:
Just curious... are there any "mini-case" like boxes out there that could be used instead of that tub? Cost aside...

I'd like to make my WC set-up external but it would be nice to stick it on the top of the case.

koolance exos .. but that will cost you more than building one urself .. i'm making one just like what these guys doing .. will post pics in a week or two when it's done :D

Re: ...

Literatii said:

Well, gravity would work against you if you had a leak (I recommend keeping watercooling stuff as low in the case as you can, or below the case).

I don't know of any for sale, only promethia boxes, and I don't know if you can buy JUST the box.

You could use something like a Milk Crate but then you would have to put a shoud on the heatercore.

Back