• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frustrating memory issues on NF7-S. Need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffp83

I have been running my NF7-S for about 3-4 months now and have had issues with getting my FSB over 200MHz. At first, I was able to achieve a 454MHz FSB no problem with two 256MB DIMM's of OCZ PC3700 Gold rev2 with 2.8V with no issues. I then decided to add a 512MB DIMM of OCZ PC3700 Gold rev3, so I would be running 1GB via 3 DIMM's. This proved to be unstable at the 454MHz FSB that it was running, so I backed it down and found I couldn't even run a 400MHz FSB stable, so I dumped the two 256MB DIMM's and bought another 512MB OCZ PC3700 Gold rev3 stick and threw it in. I was able to hit a 467MHz FSB with this at 2.9V, and thought it was stable, but now am running into issues. Prime goes for 15+ hours, but 3DMark2001 and NHL 2005 don't last longer than a few minutes. I am running the D26 MantaRays XT BIOS CPC disabled. It's quite odd, maybe there is a hardware defect with one of these sticks of memory. Windows will boot all the way up to a 480MHz FSB, but nothing from a 410MHz FSB is stable! I am ready to dump this RAM as well, and wondered if anybody had any suggestions on what RAM works well with these NF7-S and Athlon XP's, because I am starting to get really frustrated. Right now I have it backed down to 2.4GHz on a 400MHz FSB. This CPU has real potential (2.6GHz only needs 1.77V) and I want a higher FSB, but I am being held back by my memory. Thanks guys.

I don't think that I will be doing the VDD mod (not good with a soldering iron, heh). I am not looking for an insanely high FSB, but rather just 450+MHz. I know my board is good for that, it's just this new memory that for some reason is holding me back.

EDIT - To obtain that 454MHz FSB before, I only needed the VDD to be set as 1.6V

It doesn't sound like yer ram fault. It is yer board.
Try 1 stick of yer ram at a time to see they both can OC at same clock.
Try to switch the slot like 1&3 or 2&3.
Try dif bio.
Gl

I'm sure it's not my board though, because my 2x256MB of OCZ 3700 Gold rev2 ran a 454MHz FSB no problem. It's just with this new RAM that I can't get much out of it. I don't know, maybe these Rev3's aren't designed to work with nForce2 mobo's.

EDIT - I will try what you suggested though TAT, thanks.

Have you tried Loosening timings

I was reading that 256mb modules overclock a little better than the 512mb modules and that the 512mb modules need looser Ram timings.(That is from OCZ )

MassRaptor

I just flashed the BIOS to the latest D27 from Abit. I am now running memTest @ 218FSB x 11.5 = 2507MHz, 1.675V. So far so good. These modded BIOSes have been giving me trouble since day one. Oh well, hope this works OK. Next step is 227 x 11 = 2497MHz. Thanks for the help guys.

Back