• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSP460-60PFN-S vs. AX500-A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Ok, I'm buying a Fortron. Now which one?

FSP460-60PFN-S

-or-

AX500-A

I have been recommended the AX500-A but what about the 460-60PFN? Looks like a little stronger 12v rails and Active PFC. On the downside, a single 80mm fan, no power toggle switch(from what I can see), a lower advertised efficiency rating, and it's a little more expensive. Can anyone recommend the 460-60PFN over the AX500-A and why? Or should I just stick with getting the AX500-A and be happier?

500w. I like the 120mm fan for it's combo of quiet while still moving acceptable amount of air.

I have the 400w bluestorm and couldn't be happier.

They are just about the same 460w unit, except the FSP460-60PFN is an EPS server unit (no PCI-E 6 pin connector, still has a -5v rail, and has 8 pin 12v connector). You've already spotted the other differences. It is my belief that the AX500-A is an evolution of the older FSP460-60PFN.

Stick with the AX500-A unless you can't find them in stock - I've been recommending the FSP460-60PFN as an alternative to it for that reason.

isn't the bluestorm better internally too??

not like it matters, they are both fortron... both nice PSUs

If you like the blue sleeving, go with the Blue Storm. I love mine, but with no EPS, if you upgrade you mobo a lot & plan to keep your psu for a long time, mobos are going to start having EPS12V connectors instead of P4 connectors http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=865804
Your pick really, the 460 looks about the same as the Blue Storm, except for the EPS connector.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
They are just about the same 460w unit, except the FSP460-60PFN is an EPS server unit (no PCI-E 6 pin connector, still has a -5v rail, and has 8 pin 12v connector). You've already spotted the other differences. It is my belief that the AX500-A is an evolution of the older FSP460-60PFN.

Stick with the AX500-A unless you can't find them in stock - I've been recommending the FSP460-60PFN as an alternative to it for that reason.

Thanks for all the feedback. :thup: I have ordered the AX500-A. :)

chunkeymunkey25 said:
If you like the blue sleeving, go with the Blue Storm. I love mine, but with no EPS, if you upgrade you mobo a lot & plan to keep your psu for a long time, mobos are going to start having EPS12V connectors instead of P4 connectors http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=865804
Your pick really, the 460 looks about the same as the Blue Storm, except for the EPS connector.

Thank you for the info on the EPS requirement... :cool: I was not aware of that.

I don't plan to move this psu to a new build. If I'm happy with it, it will stay with this rig until I either sell or disassemble it.

Back