• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

future project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ChiefScout said:
My rig is soon to be gassed up and it has already been tested with nitrogen to check for leaks (none by the way) It's a direct die system, 1/5hp, R404a, and a custom evap all totalling nearly 250 in total cost.
And guess what......I have ZERO HVAC experience, lol and guess what's next...cascade style.

you made it?? The evap block, the whole everything? Never show us pics :eek: If you did make it all, well you are fast, seeing how not two weeks ago you were still asking wich compressor to use... did you got a block from JFettig?

I say go for it. And if i had the money i would be right along with yea.

Lotec25

Way to go Sneakyfart !

I too, dont have the money, probably for a year because i want to get all my bills payed first.

I will do an awesome job on it though, just all of you wait and see. After i build this, i feel many more people will follow in my footsteps.

I have a design in my head that will make the oil seperators automatic, so i never have to worry about them.

I have a design in my head that will help to prevent a "lack of load" on the evaporator leading to liquid in the compressor.

I can learn to build all the circuitry to prevent one stage from being turned on before another stage reaches a set temperature, i can learn all of this.

The way i look at it is this:
These things cost lots of money, why waste money on building some that you will not be satisfied with? I have a goal, and through my entire life, any goal i set, i met. I dont plan on stoping now, and my goal is to reach the -200C mark. Yes, a big goal, but an awesome one at that. Just think, if i do reach this goal, all of you will be buying new keyboards, due to all the drool.

Like i said earlier, its going to be built on paper first, im going to show it to the world on paper first, and im going to take input from people of the world first, then im going to start the actual thing. Before i even put it on paper, i have to finish my tiny little shack in the middle of nowhere because i know my dad doesnt wana pay the electric bill this thing will produce.

Like a few of you said, none of you " know " me. For all you know, im some goon that doesnt know up from down. Good reason to be conserned for me.

or

Im a very intelegent =) man/woman/thing that can do/will do whatever i set my mind to, and will learn whatever i need to learn to do it. I may be very mechanically inclined, and have great skill at whatever i do. Chear me on.

none of you know for sure, so i do thank you for the critisism, it shows you care. I also thank you for the support, it shows you care? uhh... Because support rocks!

I have done more thinking, these are the stages now:

Stage 1 = Water
Stage 2 = 410A
Stage 3 = 170
Stage 4 = 1150
Stage 5 = 50
Stage 6 = 729
Stage 7 = 704

MWA HA HA!!! J/K

No, im not going to go that extreme, although... i wish.... ohhh....

last summer i stopped at a yard sale cause i spotted a toolbox. i got to talking with the guy and he is a HVAC tech that was relocating to another city, i ended up buying a vac pump 2 sets of gauges and other assorted goodies from him and in the back of my mind the whole time was phase change. i probably wouldnt have started this project if Baker18 wasnt selling ready made evaps. i learned about them while reading Nunez1980's post. he, and a lot of others from other forums helped me either directly or indirectly through informative posts. im sure "Someone" will carefully plan, design and redesign his system as he goes and when its done it may or maynot rule the orb but it will be HIS and he will be proud of it reguardless. :D

I would have to agree with people who are suggesting to start with a single stage system.

One interesting thing to think of is, why do you even want to cool the processor to -200? I mean of course it is insanly sweet and you will get a crazy overclock, but for less money and a lot less risk you could build a multiple processor computer that would beat your -200 degree system into the ground. Don't get me wrong, I'm as addicted to overclocking and cooling as the next freak, but sometimes you just have to think reasonably. The power consumed my a multiple stage compressor system is huge, and you wouldn't want to run it too long or often due to this.

If you really have the need to build something that is huge, noisy, expensive and sucks up crazy amounst of power, why don't you make a cluster out of a few dozzen old computers?

I have seen one cluster made of a few hundred 486's, and at the time it was built it was one of the fastest super computers in the world.

in my case a cascade is just a bit too much for now but in a year when he plans to build his the technology will be a lot more advanced than it is today. -200 isnt out of the ballpark anymore and gurus like chilly1, dabit, berkut, and a "few" others are getting closer all the time. as far as a "few hundred 486's" goes i have a question...lets say as an example you have a choice of a few hundred Yugo's or a Ferrari with a bad muffler for the same price, what would you choose?

-200C is when silicone becomes a superconductor

due to electron migration, the chip will die

Ln2 gets pretty close

The yugo ferrari does have some merrits to it, but doesn't really work for this secnario. Imagine you wanted to create as much horsepower as possable. One ferrari engine may have nearly 600 HP, but 100 50HP Yugo engines have it beat.

Clusters work similarily to this, where one good computer controles a bunch of junk ones. The good computer basically sends work to all the crappy computers to do. On their own the crappy computers can't do much, but with lots of them they are quite effective.

in my garage i could find space for a ferarri but where would i park a few hundred yugos? same analogy applies to in where would you hook up a few hundred 486's? half of my garage and one spare bedroom in my house are already dedicated my this overclocking/tweaking/phase-change sickness i have. i could see the look on my wifes face if i decided to bring in few more machines let alone a few hundred lol. i saw a pic in the local paper here an article about an attempt to link several hundred computers together in S.F. to make one supercomputer. the pic was truly a sight to see, i mean the cableing by itself was a nightmare. the logistics of a project like that for an everyday user is very unpractical. if anyone out there does it post the pics :D

Dont worry, i was planning on using an 8088 in this thing anyways ; )

I put more thought into it, and although -200 would be awesome, with a 3 stage, it isnt possible. I do believe i can get better temps than -120 though, so, my new target temp will be -150.

Anyways, anyone ever used the program VectorEngineer?

Thats what i am using to design the case.

The very bottom is going to have 4 compressors, 2 consensors, 2 air intake, 2 air outtakes? "new word" . The air intakes, outtakes will be aimed down, towards the floor, and will go through the floor, to use outside air. the setup is something like this.

air out --- condensor -- comp1 comp2 --- air in
air out --- condensor -- comp4 comp3 --- air in

comp4 will be the (ambient) compressor, 1-2-3 will be the cascade.

above this will be the motherboard, and drive bays. Its hard to explain the design i have in mind, so i will wait until i have the site up, and can post pictures.

comp1 will be the first stage, the condensor in front of it will go to that compressor, same for comp4.

I cant wait to actually start buying the matirials, i bet i can hit 10mhz with the 8088!

Wow... I'm going to have to side with Chris_F on this one. I'm alll for trying new things, but that's like practicing driving stick a few times then jumping into a Viper. But umm, good luck.

The ferrari yugo comparison. The power to weight ratio will still be better in the ferrari and will burn the 100 yugo's off the line.

wow.... this ferrari Yugo thing is getting a little out of control....

I will admit that 100 Yugo's still suck crap and all, and I too would preferr the Ferrari, but the analogy really misses the point, and doesn't apply to one good computer versus many crappy ones.

One of the most cost effective and simple ways to make a decent super computer is to make a cluster, which usually uses anyware from 10 to 1000 processors. The processing power of all these CPU's is essentially additive, so using a cluster of say ten 500 mhz processors will have about the same performance of one of these processors running at 5000 mhz.

The whole point of this was, that rather than trying to freeze one processor and get it working extreamly fast, you could use a few processors running at more modest speeds to achieve the same goal.

In any case it now appears that the cascade system this thread is all about is to be put on a dreadfully old processor which will not be able to do anything but play pong anyway. So I guess the whole point of the cascade is to freeze some useless silicone for the fun of it rather than make a high performance computer.

haha, sorry to drag the car analogy in the wrong direction. It was purposefull just to be difficult. I knew what you were getting at though.

I agree...if you're goign to put that much cooling effort in, do it on a AMD64 chip :-D man that'd be fast as hell

the car analogy was fun while it lasted (a Yugo with 2 passengers is called a "Wego" ) and a cluster would make a nice "folding" setup. as far what chip to use in the cascade, sure an a64 would be nice but will most likely be considered dreadfully old in a year but still run "PONG" and Asteroids/Centepede/Missle Command...rather nicely lol

maybe i should take apart my brothers x-box, and use the cascade system on that ;)

Hopefully if all goes as planned, i will be putting a teja in this system truthfully.

Things also may start to move along sooner than later too.

Someone: good luck with your project. its been my experience and this isnt to slight anyone here but over @xtremesystems.org or truextreme.com you'll find people are a lot more receptive to this sickness and more forthcoming with help, support and ideas. there is tons of info in sticky's and posts on Phase-Change and without that wealth of information my humble lil project would still be a pipe dream and my wife would still think im somewhat sane. on a side note...anyone know where i can get a muffler for my Ferrari? :D :D :D

I got bored and didnt read it all :p

Cascades are VERY dangerous and if not built right they CAN and WILL serisouly harm or KILL you. Shamino may have built two with no expirence but he got ALOT of help. He ended up almost losing an eye when his gauge cover blew off and he also got whiped in the arm when a hose blew off.
Build at least two single stage systems first than if you are confident you can change some stuff out and add the oil seperators and HX.

Back