• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4100 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyitupIRL

Hello. This will be my first OC and I have the basic idea of upping the multiplier and then matching Core Voltage and running Prime95 to make sure it is stable. I am just not sure what Multiplier and Core Voltage I should use for my rig. :shrug:

I have:
FX-4100
GA-78LMT-S2 Mobo
GTX 660
CX600 PSU
8Gb RAM

I was wondering if anyone has OC'd this build, since it is the CyberPowerPC GUA880 with an upgraded PSU and GPU.
Thank you for your help.

Are you using the stock cooler? You'll need to keep an eye on temps too and the stock cooler isn't too good...

I am going to be buying the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and will be OCing after I receive it. I peak at 60C while gaming for hours so I knew I would need one anyways. Will this be good enough? And will it fit in my case? NZXT Guardian 921 RB

Your case will accept a cpu cooler up to 164mm and the 212 evo is 159mm so you should be good there. That is a great budget cooler and should give you the temps you need to achieve a decent overclock.

Everywhere I see tells me the max temp for the 4100 is around 71C. Right now with the default cooler I max at 60, so I should be fine with only overclocking around 4Ghz and getting the 212 Evo.

Also will I need to change the Core Voltage if I am only upping the speed to 4Ghz? Normally I see people only having to once they reach around 4.2-4.5 Also do you know what multiplier I should bump it to to reach 4?

I get 4.2 GHz with my FX-4100 at stock voltage. I use the Hyper 212+ which is a step below the evo, and the temps stay at around 30-35C at load. The max I would do for a daily OC on mine is 4.6 @ 1.36V and the highest I've gotten was 4.83 @ 1.5V, but I hit the temp threshold... in the winter. With the windows open, and a fan blowing cold air in.

I have always heard on these forums don't go past 55C with the bulldozers. 70C was max for the older architectures.

Also will I need to change the Core Voltage if I am only upping the speed to 4Ghz? Normally I see people only having to once they reach around 4.2-4.5 Also do you know what multiplier I should bump it to to reach 4?

As we like to say, your mileage may vary. You will have to try it out and see, some CPUs are better than others. Some need a lot of volts just to get to 4GHz, others like mine are fine with stock voltage.

Tryitup your best bet is to read this guide to get a general understanding of what you need to do.

Back