• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-4100 Temps Noctua

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noturgrdmasnerd

Registered
Hi! I recently installed the Noctua Nh 14D:comp:on my Amd Fx-4100 and im am at stock clocks at the moment of 3.6 to 3.8Ghz and my temps on idle and web browsing are 33-37C and on full max out load in prime 95 it maxes at 45C. I want to overclock to at least 4.5 my goal is 4.7 but anyways I was wondering if these temps are right for normal stock clocks. I did notice this morning on the heat die on the cpu that some of the thermal paste had squished of and was just a little on the side of the die. What I'm saying is I don't know if I put to much, I put a grain of rice size but hey whatever, I also used the Noctua thermal paste included. So if anyone knows if these temps are good and I can begin overclocking then please tell me thank you everyone! :ty::ty::confused::confused:

Those temps seem pretty high for that cooler ! I would remount the cooler, and a tip for thermal paste is "less is more" don't pile a large amount of paste on as you want a wafer thin layer on top of the CPU once the cooler is clamped down

Thank I will remount, and see if it improves, Hopefully this will be easier the second as I have trouble getting the middle fan in once its clamped down but whatever, do you have any detailed tips on apply thermal paste?

I have read AMD's own .pdf for thermal interface materials and thermal paste. AMD does have a document explaining TIM installation.

I have my own idea that how to put thermal paste on will vary with the 'spreadability' of the compound, design of metal of cooler that contacts the cpu lid (exposed heatpipes or not) and is the heatsink capable of very good to extreme clamping force.

You have a Noctua heatsink and if I remember correctly, they do in fact have a kit that is for 'extreme clamping force use'.

Grain of rice size dollop of paste in the center of the cpu lid. Pea sized (Lentil) dollop of paste in the center of the cpu lid. Spread the compound thinly but evenly across the cpu lid. And on and on for amounts of paste and how to apply it.

I have tried about every method I have ever seen written about at a time when I assembled and disassembled rigs up to 10 times a week, while working for a mobo manufacturer. Because some rigs would not stay together long, I normally stayed away from AS5 due to it having a long 'burn-in' time. I used other heat sink pastes that suggested no 'burn-in' time period and were not electrically nor capacitively active. ANY of the compounds worked IF the heatsink was capable of very good 'clamping-force' to the top of the processor. See the link below for some ideas. NOTE: your cooler base does not have exposed heat-pipes so the job is easier and less complicated.

What is the Best Way to Apply Thermal Grease? - Part 1
Three ways with pictures including the result pictures.

A good CPU cooler is only part of the "cool" equation. Tell us about the make and model of your case, how many and how big are the intake and exhaust fans and where are they placed? If you have the greatest CPU cooler in the world it will not do well if you are getting rid of the warm air building up inside the case and you are trying to accomplish heat exchange using warm air.

I have read AMD's own .pdf for thermal interface materials and thermal paste. AMD does have a document explaining TIM installation.

I have my own idea that how to put thermal paste on will vary with the 'spreadability' of the compound, design of metal of cooler that contacts the cpu lid (exposed heatpipes or not) and is the heatsink capable of very good to extreme clamping force.

You have a Noctua heatsink and if I remember correctly, they do in fact have a kit that is for 'extreme clamping force use'.

Grain of rice size dollop of paste in the center of the cpu lid. Pea sized (Lentil) dollop of paste in the center of the cpu lid. Spread the compound thinly but evenly across the cpu lid. And on and on for amounts of paste and how to apply it.

I have tried about every method I have ever seen written about at a time when I assembled and disassembled rigs up to 10 times a week, while working for a mobo manufacturer. Because some rigs would not stay together long, I normally stayed away from AS5 due to it having a long 'burn-in' time. I used other heat sink pastes that suggested no 'burn-in' time period and were not electrically nor capacitively active. ANY of the compounds worked IF the heatsink was capable of very good 'clamping-force' to the top of the processor. See the link below for some ideas. NOTE: your cooler base does not have exposed heat-pipes so the job is easier and less complicated.

What is the Best Way to Apply Thermal Grease? - Part 1
Three ways with pictures including the result pictures.
[/QUOTE

The first time I did try and spread it with a gift card, but failed horribly so I just cleaned reapplied with a pea size or grain of rice and plopped the cooler on there, I can't seem to be able to spread it with a gift card uhhh:bang head

A good CPU cooler is only part of the "cool" equation. Tell us about the make and model of your case, how many and how big are the intake and exhaust fans and where are they placed? If you have the greatest CPU cooler in the world it will not do well if you are getting rid of the warm air building up inside the case and you are trying to accomplish heat exchange using warm air.

I have a Zalman Z11 hf 1 as my case, I have the cooler, and then a fan on the back vent blowing out of the case, the cooler is taking in cool air unless the cd drive creates a lot of heat haha;)

. . . I have my own idea that how to put thermal paste on will vary with the 'spreadability' of the compound, design of metal of cooler that contacts the cpu lid (exposed heatpipes or not) and is the heatsink capable of very good to extreme clamping force.

So, how's that working for you?

I guess I misunderstood your problem? I thought you were puzzled by the high temps your were getting with such a great cooler and you were asking for help.

I do believe the OP was wondering at his temps after install of the uber NH D-14. However I know we don't have a clue if the thing really gets too hot like running P95 Blend mode for 20 mins with HWMonitor open on the desktop before and after the the P95 Blend run so we get Min/Max temps during stress and get to see a capture of HWMonitor captured and posted into the forum. Then we might be more educated in our suggestions.

I do believe the OP was wondering at his temps after install of the uber NH D-14. However I know we don't have a clue if the thing really gets too hot like running P95 Blend mode for 20 mins with HWMonitor open on the desktop before and after the the P95 Blend run so we get Min/Max temps during stress and get to see a capture of HWMonitor captured and posted into the forum. Then we might be more educated in our suggestions.

Ok, I will have a pic up tommorow!:attn:

35C was during idle and the others is during the blend run for 30 min.

Attachments

• hw.PNG
    hw.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 82
  • cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 86
CPUTIN of 45c max is a pretty good temp.

CPU Temps Core at 25c at Max is also pretty good temp.

None of those temps seem out the ordinary for NH D-14. Those temps will remain pretty much like they are until you really begin to push the processor beyond 4.0Ghz. Oh they will rise some for each 100 Mhz you add to that 3.6Ghz you are showing now, but the temps will not "just jump-up" until you pass 4.0Ghz. Temps will jump again beyond 4.3 Ghz.

Where's the blend test screen? Unless you're living in a fridge you're temps look crazy cool for a p95 run

Well HW moniter doesn't follow the core temps correctly, the cputin temp is the one thats correct, ambient temp was 77.9 F or I think in C is 18C but the core temperatures arn't correct, right now I'm remounting the cooler, typing from laptop, but still having problems with thermal paste, I put very little on there and it squeezes of the side,WTF, I'll head back to the page about thermal grease and see if I can figure anything out.

Back