• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4170 on Asus crosshair V formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Radeonmarauder

Hi, i'm new around here and also new to overclocking and getting the best out my hardware. In fact I just managed to put together my first (budget) rig.
Now i would really appreciate to get help with overclocking my hardware to best possible, but stable performance. I haven't touched anything in bios because i'm basically afraid to (lol). But I did use TurboV EVO software to autotune with on the option extreme.

This is what I got among other devices:
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-4170
Ram: Corsair Vengeance low profile 8g 1600Mhz
CPU cooler: Corsair A70
PSU: Corsair GS 700w 80plus
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850

Here is my Tweeker Menu in bios.
120513170359.BMP

120513170712.BMP

120513170805.BMP

120513170805.BMP

I would really appreciate any help or advice, preferably step by step instructions with where to start and how to proceed.
Thank you in advance! :)

P.S. I'm not sure if this is correct thread for this, since it's a matter of motherboard, ram, and cpu. So I apologize if this thread seems to be out of place.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

:welcome: A Crosshair V mobo is not really considered a 'budget build' unless you mean you did not go for an FX8120/50 cpu. Of course I don't see 'every' post made in the AMD cpu or mobo section, but I do not miss reading most of the posts.

Over the last few months there probably are not more than 10 threads about a Crosshair V mobo. You can search the cpu and motherboard forum sections by that mobo and should turn up most of the information about that particular mobo. It does not matter really which FX processor one has...the principles are the same.

:welcome: A Crosshair V mobo is not really considered a 'budget build' unless you mean you did not go for an FX8120/50 cpu. Of course I don't see 'every' post made in the AMD cpu or mobo section, but I do not miss reading most of the posts.

Over the last few months there probably are not more than 10 threads about a Crosshair V mobo. You can search the cpu and motherboard forum sections by that mobo and should turn up most of the information about that particular mobo. It does not matter really which FX processor one has...the principles are the same.

I know crosshair V formula is not really a budget mobo, I just managed to buy it on sale :) And yes, it has accrued to me just now to look for any helpful info I can find here on forum.
Thanks for reply :)

The first thing to do is to prepare to overclock by downloading and installing some reporting, monitoring and stress testing software:

HWMonitor

CPU-z

Prime95

The next thing would be to check your "core" and "CPU" temps under stress:

Open HWmonitor on the desktop

Run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes

Post back with a pic of HWMonitor so we can look at temps. To post a pic, find the Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories and use it to crop and save the image to disk. Then click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of any new post window. That will take you to the Advanced post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top. That will load the file browser/uploader tool. The rest will be obvious.

Back