• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 on ASROCK 960GC-GS FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vukasin

Hey people , is the FX-6300 compatible with this http://www.comtradeshop.com/maticne_ploce/asrock_mb_-_socket_am3_-_960gc-gs_fx-23601. I know its not ur language but u can see the specs . And i heard that its compatible but ill have to install update to bios from flash ? Every help is welcome , and if some1 had this case all tips are appriciated . And the one more thing , will i be able to use both ddr3 and ddr2 ram at once ? for example i put 2x2gb ddr2 800 mhz and one stick of 4gb ddr3 , it would work ?

this board will support the 6300, this is a very old board and i have a feeling it will die in a year or two.
no, no ddr2/ddr3 mixing, one or the other.

It should boot right out of the box

Oh thanks for the fast reply , and for the advice too ! found it in the shop its about 20 euros more expensive than the old one so , i think ill make it and have a safe future ? and btw is that M5A97 a good overclocker ?

If you're really looking to Oc this board would be a good choice. That said you're also going to need to get an after market heatsink to keep it cool. You should also make sure you have a quality Psu, especially if overclocking.

will i be able to use both ddr3 and ddr2 ram at once ? for example i put 2x2gb ddr2 800 mhz and one stick of 4gb ddr3 , it would work ?

Not only will you n0t be able to run DDR2 and DDR3 ram at the same time; you will n0t be able to run DDR2 ever with an FX-6300 since the FX-6300 will only use DDR3 ram because it has no DDR2 memory controller within the IMC of the cpu. NO DDR2 with FX processor at all.
RGone...ster.

That board is not really well enough engineered to do any 'real' overclocking of an FX-6300. It is just too weakly built in the VRM section to hold up to pushing 6 core FX very fast.

Had friend with that board and he had a 4 Core FX-4100 and it gave him problems getting cpu up to 4.3Ghz with only 4 core FX processor.

One user came into the AMD mobo section about a year ago with that board pushing on a 6 core FX hard and reported the board finally died after about 2 months of use.

You have been told. It is your money.
RGone...ster.

So , the serious overclock can reduce my mobo life ? well in that case im gonna stay away from any overclock cuz the money decides

Ill be happy if i get about 10-15 % oc , i think thats not that much to produce much more heat and eventually damage something

Your money. You have to do with what you have. FX cpus clock up certain cores but never more than 1/2 the cores at any one time. And the upclock is based on a number of factors the cpu is monitoring itself. Heat and actual load are at least two of the things the cpu is looking at to see if it can upclock up to 1/2 the cores. SO if you leave the board and the cpu to run as the two are actually designed to be used, then the cpu and mobo should get along well together for some time.

But you start manually adjusting stuff and making all 6 cores run at one time...then there is no telling how long it may or even may not last. Again it is your money. Most of the time we do our best n0t to lead users into problems. So we usually do not help overclock a system we are more than a little convinced is going to give problems to begin with. You certainly will not get any form of overclock with a stock heatsink since they are again just too weak in cooling ability so you need to plan on money for an aftermarket cooler. The cooler the cpu the less the strain on the motherboard.
RGone...ster. Happy New Year around the world.

Yep ure totally right , at first i was so impressed , ( sorry if my knowledge is weak but thats what i know ) but as i know only thing that can damage anything in my pc is heat . So my logic was all way until my temperatures arent over normal is okay , the first time i meet high temps i put clock and voltages down. So i was pretty dissapointed when u told that his mobo life was reduced by overclock

Vukasin, it is not just heat that is the problem. The VRM circuit on the motherboard is not really powerful enough to constantly keep up with the power consumption of the FX 6 and 8 core cpus in an overclocked condition. You may never realize the strain on the VRMs by looking at just heat of the cpu which is what most monitoring apps show.

So the likely situation is that you do not know the board is perhaps struggling to keep up with the power demands of an FX 6 or 8 core cpu, but just suddenly the board has a faiure and maybe actually explodes a mosfet in the VRM section of mobo and that running wild of the cpu voltage at the time might take out cpu or video card or ram when it has such a failure. There is no way to predict what may happen. When one is trying to watch his money, it is often just better to wait and nOt buy anything until a g00d thing can be bought and leave the cheaper thing alone if it might be a real problem at some point. Wait and get what is much less likely to cause a problem.

Is the motherboard, linked below, available where you buy your parts and pieces? I am not a big believer in Gigabyte but I do believe that board if you can get one is a better choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RGone...ster.

You can go to Gigabyte website and download the manual for that mobo and look at the cpu power connector on the board or read thru the "how to hook-up" part of the manual for how many pins are at the ATX cpu power connector.

I know that you should have an 8 pin connector from the power supply if you plan on clocking an FX 6 or 8 core processor in order to carry enough power over to the input to the VRMs. I say that because the 'really' overclock oriented AM3+ mobos even have another power input somewhere else further down the mobo where a 4 pin molex can be plugged in to supply even more power to the motherboard. There are a lot of things or concerns that can be looked at when really pushing these 6 and 8 core cpus on AM3+ mobo. Some is a very good idea and maybe helpful in the long run in reaching really HI cpu overclocks. But without super super cooling you will not reach that high of a cpu speed and thus may not matter for your situation. Just giving you a heads up.

It might be a very good time for you to list what parts by part number and good description in a post so we can see what else you may be attempting to use. Video card, power supply, ram and such...even the case since case airflow is of prime importance today with the heat taken from cpu and needing to get the heck outside the case quickly.
RGone...ster.

Ill be using 550 W psu , nvidia gt 740 OC version ( and overclocked slightly by me ) http://prntscr.com/5nedir its stable and temps are below 55 C while heavy gaming , and my case is pretty nice , i've got one 120 nm fan at front , and one 120 nm fan at back side , airflow is rly nice tho , and would u say that gpu would be a bottleneck to the fx ?

Cpu and vid card should work well together.

All 550watt power supplies are not equal to each other and why I said you should list brand and model number so we really knew what you were using. And you need to describe the cpu cooler you intend to use. Also do you live in hot climate with or without A/C in the computer room. See all of these things add up or subtract from a fast overclock.
RGone...ster.

Hahha bro im not gonna try some insane overclock , ill be happy with 10-15 % , the most important thign to me were compatability-price-quality. I've got it all 3 bcuz of ur help and other people here so , im really happy i've found a real forum with real and fast help . And by the way , these things are just in plan for me so , whatever i try to do with my hardware capabilities , whatever i have to ask this will be first place ill come to . Cheers mate and happy new year tho , all best ! :)

HAPPY NEW YEARS to you as well sir. Let us know if we can help again. Most of us that try and help have years in this stuff and when the money is right we usually keep up with as much as we can. Luck to you.
RGone...ster.

Back