• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 Overclock, Good chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippy Lemonz

Registered
Hey guys, I just overclocked my FX-6300 on some kind of Cooler Master CPU cooler (possibly Hyper series) and I would like hear some opinions.
So I overclocked the CPU in UEFI using only the multiplier and managed to get 4.4 GHz @ 1.400 V. I ran Prime95 for 30 minutes then decided to open up OCCT while it was still running then Black ops 2 Multiplayer against bots to pass the time. I was getting CPU temps of 59-62C and got no bluescreens and all of the P95 workers were running as usual. As a side note, getting my 770 into my case was hilarious, I had to hack bits off the hard drive cage using a drill and some tin snips (that was actually the first time I've taken a motherboard out of a case) One of the fans only has about 1mm of clearance from the new corner of the hard drive cage but at least it fits. Anyway, I know that last part was a bit off topic and I probably shouldn't even include it in this post but... what do you guys think? Is 4.4 GHz @ 1.400 V good for this chip?

Judging from the temps, cramped case and motherboard that's more than likely as high as you're going to want to go. Where did you get that temp of 62 from. Do you know if that was a socket or core temp?

Take the case side panel off and run the Prime95 stress test again for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open on the desktop. Do this to see if it has a positive impact on temps as like others have said it sounds like you have a cramped case with poor air flow. If temps improve by several degrees you should look at investing in a new case. When checking temps we pay attention to "package" temps and CPU socket temp. The latter may not show up with said label but may be one of the "TMPINx" lines. If you attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface after the stress test we will help you spot that. Do you know how to attach pics with the built in forum tool? Use the Go Advanced button and the little paperclip tool that shows at the top the next screen.

I was going to mention it and I probably should've; yeah, my case is bad. I got this computer pre-built back when I wasn't as confident with working on computers. It came stock with the most generic brand case and PSU, an FX-4130 and a HD7770. The PSU was the first to go (though after about 6 months of use). When I installed the new power supply, I discovered how horribly cramped it is in there and I didn't make it any better. All of the unused cords from the PSU are jammed in where they could fit in and around the 5 1/4 bays. There are also cords going over the motherboard. Pretty much, whoever built the computer first off didn't care about airflow and so far I've been too lazy to do anything about it. Anyway, I just ran another Prime95 test with the side panel still on as I don't have time at the moment to mess around with all of those cords.

HWM_Screen_zpsa406ab7f.png

whoever built the computer first off didn't care about airflow and so far I've been too lazy to do anything about it.

Time to get un-lazy. Case air flow management.

some kind of Cooler Master CPU cooler (possibly Hyper series)

Would be the second problem to look into replacing with a better cooler. Perhaps liquid cooling if your trying to reach a certain goal or clock speed past what you have now.

GLHF.

IF HWMonitor recorded those temps WHILE P95 Blend was running, then you are at about the most I would go right now. 4.4Ghz is about it since the next jump to 4.5 or 4.6Ghz usually takes more voltage to the cpu. More voltage to the cpu is usually going to mean mroe heat. Right now you have a fair cushion that will not jump up and bite you while you just doing normal things.

But I surely would consider a better case and cpu cooling perhaps if you think to go any further. Honestly 4.5/4.6Ghz probably won't amount to much difference anyway. I have to jump 300Mhz at least to really know much is different performance wise when ""using"" the computer. Benches are another thing of course but you use the computer more than you bench is my suspicion.
RGone...

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a new case, that issue with the graphics card not fitting was my tipping point. I'm still yet to do that test without the side panel on, I'll probably get that done after I finish my pies and finish this post. A new cooler isn't my priority right now because I don't yet know if I need it. After I get a new case and another Noiseblocker NB-eLoop or two (I love that fan!). Just out of curiosity, what case would you guys recommend I get for under 150 AUD? And, what CPU cooler for under the same amount. Also, just in case you guys didn't know, computer parts in Australia are expensive. The cheapest I could find my Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB was $499. I will be doing research of my own, I just would appreciate hearing other people's opinions.

There's a good 5°c drop Just by letting in some fresh air. A new case would really help but honestly at this point with the motherboard you have, the max I would run it is 4.5 any way, so I wouldn't worry too much about a new cooler for it. If you really want it to stretch it's legs you're going to need another board in my opinion. Here's a couple different cases http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008
And this one that's quite a bit cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Do you reckon you could explain what makes a motherboard good for overclocking?

EDIT: I just had a look at those cases you linked, I really like the look of both of them. They both have great features that I wish I had in my current case and they both can fit my GPU without me needing to mutilate them. I do prefer the corsair carbide though and just as well because the site I buy my parts from http://pccasegear.com/ doesn't have the other one. I'll keep looking around for other alternatives but I really do feel like the Corsair Carbide 400R is the right case for me. I'll keep looking for a new cooler but I won't actually buy one until I feel it is necessary.

Last edited:
It's all in the power section. That spot to the left of your CPU. Your board is a 4 phase board without a heatsink AFIK and will have trouble supplying power to the 6xxx. It will do fine left on auto but once you get all 6 cores churning it really sucks the power and the VRM won't be able to keep up. You should have a minimum 6 phase board for that CPU and an 8 phase wouldn't hurt.
Just to show you what I'm talking about here's your power section

as pro.JPG

And this is what's on the Sabertooth that I use for my FX CPUs

Sabertooth power.JPG

Wow I've always heard that the mobo I have isn't good for overclocking but I never understood why. Thank you so much for explaining! Do you reckon part of the heat problem could be caused by the VRM?

In part I'm sure it is but your temps are fine if you don't intend on going any higher.

I have been monitoring my temps constantly for the past few days and have noticed that my CPU temp reached 69C while I was playing GTA IV with enb. Could this be a problem? I may as well mention that that room temp has been 15-20C recently but it does reach up to 40C in summer. Assuming I don't upgrade my cooler and case by then, would there be much I can do about it?

For the FX chips its really prefered to keep the package temps below 65C and the Socket temps below 70C. That said I would keep your side panel off until you get your new case.

If you have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or Plus, I would recommend adding a second fan to the back of it. Those coolers work pretty darn well for a budget cooler and for the low cost of adding another fan, you can drop your temps another few degrees.

Attachments

• CM Hyper 212.jpg
    CM Hyper 212.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 385
I might try going back down to stock clock for now. Taking the side panel off isn't really much of an option for my situation. I'm thinking about getting one of those closed loop CPU liquid coolers after I get the new case. I think it will set me up well for when I get a new motherboard. I just had a look for good cases within my budget and it turns out I'm pretty bad with cases. I did however find another HAF series case on PCCASEGEAR http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20880&cPath=31 What do you think of that?

Honestly grab a Corsair 200R or 230T. Easy to work in. Pre installed motherboard stand offs. Tooless drive bays. Decent airflow without being a huge case. I prefer them over the 400R and have built in all of them. (oddly I work for one of pccgs Aussie competitors, Mwave). Haha.

Then perhaps a remount of your cpu cooler with some fresh thermal paste too in the process of the rebuild could do some good.

I like the HAF series myself. I've been going between the HAF935 and Corsair 750D for my next build.

I like the HAF series myself. I've been going between the HAF935 and Corsair 750D for my next build.
Isn't the HAF935 part of the stacker line of cases? Those are crazy, you can create monsters with those.

oddly I work for one of pccgs Aussie competitors, Mwave
I haven't heard of them before, I'll check them out. The more options the better right? WHAT!? I could've got Watch Dogs free? Damn it!

Then perhaps a remount of your cpu cooler with some fresh thermal paste too in the process of the rebuild could do some good.

When I got my new CPU (which was only last week I think) I used Arctic MX-4. Unless I messed up, I don't think that is the problem. I might do it anyway though.

Back