• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 6300 throttling,need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thecreatorst

Hello all, I am new here and in the overclocking scene in general. I have built a couple pc over the years but for the first time i am trying to overclock. My pc specs are
Cpu: fx 6300
Mobo: gigabyte 970a ud3 rev.3
Gpu: Radeon hd 7870 xfx
Ram : 8Gb (2x4) corsair vengeance
Psu: Corsair cs450w
Cpu cooler: Cm hyper 212

On to my problem. I read a lot before attempting thisso i can avoidany unwanted consequences. My cpu runs oretty cool with no Oc uner prime (about30- 33c).

I have disabled all of the power saving options on my Mb, and atempted a try at an oc, but even from the very low frequency of 3.7Gh my cpu is throttling. Whenever i run prime 95 cpuz shows my frequency dropping at 3Ghz very frequentlr and the jumping back to normal, and mu multiplier does the same dropping to 17 before going back to normal. Kastly the same vo!tage is a!so a bjt unstabke but i think not by a lot. I can check as soon as i get home if you believe tgat matters.
My temps never exceed 42c at max and which makes sense as it reaches higher speeds when not oced.
I run windows 8.1 and have set power settings to performance.
Lastly at stock the cpu seems to run fine under stress test with the frequency ranging from 3,5 to 4, i guess because of the enabled turbo mode.

Any heheellp or feedback wiuld be appreciated as i have no experience and am stumbled as to what my next step should be.

P.S. needless to say i have nly tinkered with the multiplier.

thecreatorst said:
am stumbled as to what my next step should be.

IF we were to be very blunt it would be to tell you to get rid of the Mobo: gigabyte 970a ud3 rev.3 That board has caused its' users more headaches seeking stability and to stop downclocking under even minor load than should be allowed.

Rev 3.0 was followed by Rev 4.0, followed by 4.1 and now Gigabyte has changed tactics to snow users by renaming the UD lineup with a big R5 IN the model name of yet another series of revisions. I think I counted 7 Revisions of the same motherboard and thru out the entire process one thing seemed cured and another then became flawed. Too much dice-rolling for me.

Couple of things you might try:
1. Fan blowing air onto the VRM circuit section of mobo.
2. Ensure that HPC is enabled in bios.
3. Normally we would suggest DISabling APM but to do so on some of the Rev's of the Gigabyte boards, you lose some other feature or...crap cannot remember, but I don't think you can use the normal DISable APM we use on most other boards.

RGone...

Thank you all for your quick replies.
I have no idea what my apm is or what where i can find that. I looked it up when you mentiobed it and saw that it should be in the bios but it is just not there.

I have never installed easytune 6 in any of my pc so i guess this is not the issue.
Lastly the board was purchased as i trust gigabyte and it was recommended a lot but if what you say is true and in the next couple of days i have not resolved the issue i will certainly purchase a new one. Any recommendations? The price is a factor so i dont want the best mobo out there just a reliable one that will do what is meant to do well.

Again thank you all.

If your not overclocking past 4 ghz, may as well leave it stock. Your not gaining much from 3.5 to 3.7ghz and the turbo is 4 ghz.... Basically all you,ve done is increased max stock Non turbo frequency.

I like Rgones suggestion for being sure the vrm package area is to be actively cooled. This will throttle cpu speeds to keep temps down and load off the vvrms as to not overheat.

Back