• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 and false temp readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juiffi

Registered
Hello!

I bought an ADM FX-8120 and a MSi 760GM-P32 Mobo. It took some time to get it to work, since I had to do a BIOS update before it agreed to co-operate.

So, after installing all the drivers and getting things to work, I ran Cinebench. I scored only 3.02, which is too low. Then I checked the temps, just to be sure, and I was greeted by very unpleasant numbers. Idle temps are reported to be 25 °C, but under load the temps go linearly up to 45° and then jump to 206°. I checked the temps by hand from the heatsink. It was warm, maybe 45-50°. That shouldn't be too much for this processor.

The multiplier drops to 7x and the core voltage is reported as 0.9V. However, I don't trust the core volts since the stock volts are reported as low as 1.15V. This of course has "some" performance impact.

Turbo is turned off and so are all Power saving stuff (C'nQ and C1E) from the BIOS. All drivers are also up to date. I also tried rolling back on BIOSes and chipset drivers, but that didn't help.

What on earth am I supposed to do?

I know you said it wasn't that hot,but it sounds like you need to re-seat the cpu.Most temp programs will give false readings when idle,but NOT on load.They should be very accurate.AMD overdrive is accurate on cpu idle temps.I cross-referenced my bios to make sure that was the case.

What cooler are you using with that cpu? What are the specs on your pc? What kind of airflow do you have in your case? I would reseat the cpu first to make sure thats not the issue,then load optimized defaults.Download hardware monitor and cpuz..Hang tight bro....Plenty of amd gurus on this forum to help you out!

Last edited:
Thanks for fast answer!

Cpu is the AMD FX-8120 OR-B2 Revision
Mobo MSI 760GM-P23
RAM 2x Kingston ValueRAM 2Gb 1066
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 480
HDD: Maxtor 80Gb SATA
PSU: Chieftec Arena 500 Watt

And for Reseating CPU... I reseated the cooler (stock BTW), but we are talking about taking the CPU out of the socket, right?

Download hardware monitor and cpuz
+1 in addition download prime95, open Hwmonitor and run prime 20 minutes. Make sure the Cpu temp stays under 70 and the package temp stays under 60. Then post a pic using the inforum attachment tool of the following. Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, cpu, spd and memory.

I hate to break this to you Juifi but I really don't think that your board will support that processor. I sis a quick check and yes they do have it on the list but say it's 95W when it's actually a 125W processor.

I hate to break this to you Juifi but I really don't think that your board will support that processor. I sis a quick check and yes they do have it on the list but say it's 95W when it's actually a 125W processor.
Glad you were the one to welcome Juifi to reality.

Yes.That is what I meant ,but dont do that yet.

First,I see 2 problems.One.That motherboard only has support for a 95W cpu.Your cpu is 125 watts.Second,That psu is suspect.

Edit: Johan45.You are correct.I was busy looking up his specs.

Last edited:
Hmm, this is strange. I did actually triple check the compatibility. That is because I forgot to do it with the first MB I ordered. Had to send it back. Well, I quess I really can do nothing about it. Duh

If you just purchased that board take it back and get something that will be up to the task. Prefferably something that will support 140W. If you're interested we can give you some help just need to know the size of board, ATX would be a better option.
When I check newegg it plainly says 95W but the MSI list of supported CPU's says FX8120 is supported but lists it at 95W but it's not it's 125W

I feel quite... screwed at the moment. I ordered the parts more than two weeks ago, I only had time build it few days ago. The parts have two weeks full refund.

Well, life sucks.

It's not all your fault Juifi. The Mobo manufacturers really underestimated the requirements of these 8 core CPU's and in the end it's the consumers who suffered. See the board in my sig attached to the HTPC? That was my first purchase it worked but not as well as I wanted. So I ended up with the Sdbretooth.

I feel quite... screwed at the moment. I ordered the parts more than two weeks ago, I only had time build it few days ago. The parts have two weeks full refund.

Well, life sucks.

Its not the most honest thing to say,but tell them motherboard is bad out of the box:shock:Lets get honest.Your gonna have to lie to get a full refund with no restocking fees.They didnt not have a problem lying to you! Something about honesty and lying in the same sentence sounds bad:shrug:

This board is 105 dollars. 8+2 power phase,needed if overclocking,and supports cpus up to 140 watts.Its budget,but I love these boards.Cheap in price,and built like a tank.I ran a amd965 oc@ 3.8g for 2 years 24/7 with no problems.Bought another one for the FX6300.

Not sure about there claims up to 140watts,but 125watts,no problem.My 965 is 125 watts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

Last edited:
Well, if you have any suggestion for a replacement bring 'em on. I have a micro ATX case ATM, but I can get a ATX case, I should have one lying around at my parents house.

Be gentle on the budget.

E: I ordred from Multitronic, because I live in Finland.

Wow I see what you mean just brought up multronic.fi and I'm fairly certain that the board u bought is quite a bit cheaper here and yed the mid tower cade would be preferable.

Yeah, the prices sure do have some extra around here. I heard somebody say that the AM3+ would still be around for some years, so buying a bit better MB would make sense.

That board that Wipeout recommended will work and from what I can see on that site is probably the most affordable option at your disposal. It's still 100euro' If you plan on keeping it around for the sake of upgrading then you might want to consider something a bit tougher but now you're talking 150+

That deal with supported FX processors and the MSI AMD boards and FX processors has actually been going on since fall of 2011 when the Bulldozer processors were released. MSI has still done nothing to clear up the situation. Not even after all the VRMs that were blowing up on the MSI AMD boards with high curernt draw processors. I actually believe since the FX type processor release we have only seen about 7 MSI boards "appear" in this cpu forum section. Seems with likely good cause.
RGone...

Well, thanks for everything.

Tomorrow I'll start a fight to get the mobo refunded. Too bad I'll have to one of these "difficult" customers.

PS. Before I can send this piece of .... back, could I underclock the FX to make it go around 95 watts? I believe I could still play some games and browse the net, since this is my only computer ATM. (The old P4 in my closet does not count.)

If you're gonna play games you should just disable cores. Don't know if that's an option on your board but most games won't use more than 4.

Back