• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 and false temp readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I feel quite... screwed at the moment. I ordered the parts more than two weeks ago, I only had time build it few days ago. The parts have two weeks full refund.

Well, life sucks.
Life is what it is, we all make mistakes, how well we learn from them is what is important! Mandrake 3:18 :)

That deal with supported FX processors and the MSI AMD boards and FX processors has actually been going on since fall of 2011 when the Bulldozer processors were released. MSI has still done nothing to clear up the situation. Not even after all the VRMs that were blowing up on the MSI AMD boards with high curernt draw processors. I actually believe since the FX type processor release we have only seen about 7 MSI boards "appear" in this cpu forum section. Seems with likely good cause.
RGone...

Unbelievable.Its sounds like a good way to lose your customer base.

Life is what it is, we all make mistakes, how well we learn from them is what is important! Mandrake 3:18 :)

Not laughing at at your situation,just the last quote:rofl:

Ya you can under core control in your bios.
Nice one Mandrake

Well, After disabling 4 cores, I tortured the cpu for couple of minutes and the temps seem to hover around 35° now.

I think I'll buy better mobo soon and add a 750watt psu and better cooler to the mix. Then I should have some OC headroom.

(I have practically no gear, since my old computer is a P4, dating back to late 2000.)

Well, After disabling 4 cores, I tortured the cpu for couple of minutes and the temps seem to hover around 35° now.

I think I'll buy better mobo soon and add a 750watt psu and better cooler to the mix. Then I should have some OC headroom.

(I have practically no gear, since my old computer is a P4, dating back to late 2000.)

If your only running one video card that psu is overkill.Stick with name brand venders like Corsair.A 500 watt psu should work fine.Nothing wrong with upping it to 650 watts to give you more headroom in the future.The 480 needs some juice.Maybe the 650watts is a better option.

IF you have never used an 8 core FX processor, you really don't have any idea how H0T those things run.

I just checked my email after trying to cover cars since it was actually hailing nearly the size of golfballs here at my home and saw an email from a bud with 8120 and pretty stout water-cooling, PLUS a fan blowing on or drawing air away from the rear of the cpu socket. He played most of the weekend and he just emailed me that he turned that REAR fan off and the result was an almost immediate shutdown. I wrote him back that sure it does over 5.0Ghz. Hehehe.

These FX processors are neat in many respects. BUT they require a good deal of work to run above maybe 4.2Ghz. After that the mobo must be really good and the cpu cooling must be really good and other tricks and tips may well apply.
RGone...

EDIT:
Maybe let me REphrase this slightly for more real clarity >> BUT they require a good deal of work to run above maybe 4.2Ghz. << Just about any motherboard that is showing support for FX processors can run an FX processor, IF used as AMD designed the FX processor to operate. Why? That processor if left alone, will be trying to up the speed on less cores and lower the speed at the first hint of too much heat or current draw. That is how AMD designed it to work.

BUT we want to overclock and we turn off all the safeguards AMD put in place and lock the processor to run full on at the speed we have chosen and ALL cores on as well. Then yes oh yes it gets H0T and many of the boards preporting to support AMD FX processors begin to fall on their faces.

Run the processor as designed and the problems are not there. Run the processor outside its design parameters and the issues become those created by our ownselves. AMD does not warrant nor guarantee overclocking and neither does any motherboard maker if you check your manual.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Corsair TX650

Dedicated 53A, single +12V rail provides up to 636W power output, ideal for high-end graphic card.

Sounds good,but after doing some reading...

Here are the power requirements for the GTX 480:

GeForce GTX 480

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 250 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 600 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 8-pin
High Dynamic-Range Lighting 128bit
Unified Architecture

Yes,Your right on point.Go with the 750watt psu.This will give you some headroom.I have a 560Ti,in specs,and a 650 watt psu,which works fine.Wow,didnt realize how power hungry those 480's are.Nice card though:) I paid 105 dollars for a Corsair TX 750 watt psu.Funny,thats overkill for my set -up.The GTX 660 SC is not that power hungry,but It never hurts to have the power.

Just in case you need another opinion...http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

Last edited:
Wipeout said:
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 8-pin

Yes,Your right on point.Go with the 750watt psu.This will give you some headroom.

And make sure that the power supply has all 6+2 pin auxilary PCIe connectors or 6 pin and 6+2 pin PCIe conectors.
RGone...

And make sure that the power supply has all 6+2 pin auxilary PCIe connectors or 6 pin and 6+2 pin PCIe conectors.
RGone...

Good Call.Yes,the Corsair TX 750 has 6+2 pin PCIe connectors.New board and psu,and your good to go! One last note.Make sure your aftermarket cooler will fit in your case.That's the last problem you need after getting your parts.
Good luck.Post back with results.

Back