• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED FX-8120 overheats during summer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

I've the same problem every year. System overheats. Didn't matter with its was my old 955BE, my old Thuban, or my current FX8120..... My room simply gets too hot during summer. It doesn't matter what cooler I add either. The ambient room temp is too high and the CPU produces too much heat.

My rig is fast enough for anything I want, so the questions is. Should I grab a portable airconditioner, or am I best off waiting till the end of the year and jumping over to a Core i7? Likewise, do the Piledriver chips run any cooler than the older Bulldozer cores?

Really wish AMD would bring Steamroller to AM3....

Just wanted to get peoples point of view on this. I've been tossing up between these two options for a while.

did you try to run it on lower clocks or with disabled cores? that should lower the temps. also what ambients? 30C? 40c?

I'm not going to drop my system performance in any way. Nothing in the rig is overclocked, its all stock. It's the rig in my siggy.

Room temps tend to be in the high 30's and often go higher after gaming for a bit. This rig pumps out plenty of heat, which then recirculates around the room. Generally have to game wearing just boxer shorts, and sweat like a pig. If there's one thing that appeals about a portable air conditioner, it would cool me also and not need to be replaced as I upgraded the computer.

I must say, you're the first Russian member I've ever seen on here....

Go for the AC. It will not only make your computer happier but you as well. Two emus with one stone would be killed. Such a deal!

If you do that, make sure you get an AC unit that has plenty of cooling power or it will ice up on you from not cycling on/off enough.

A thought in the mean time.... You could disable cores and run higher clocks on 4 cores opposed to 8. Or just turn off four cores and see how the temps do.

Not very large, its my bedroom. Just enough room for a queen sized bed on one wall, a tiny computer desk, dresser and a book case with about 1 square metre of walking room. I could take photo's except I won't be back there until 3rd March as I'm on a mine site at the moment. That and I'd have to spend ages cleaning up/tidying before taking the photo.

It has 1 window and 1 door. I want to exhaust the hot air from the portable aircon through the window.

Perhaps think of switching to water cooling imo.

regardless of the type of cooling, as in air / water there is no possible way to beat physics. for every 1*C of ambient temperature you have in your room you will see a 1*C raise in system temps within the ability of the cooler you are using.

By that I mean if you have a 30*C ambient temp that is the lowest temp you can get with your cooler usually at idle that's provided that your cooler is capable of 100% which they are not so as you stress your system and build heat your temps will rise and depending on the setup possibly raising your ambient temp over time and thus system temps. Even a very big and expensive water loop will be handcuffed to this simple fact in dealing with the ambient temp and heat that the FX 8XXX cpu generates.

IMHO ....... Yes a water loop will give better performance but not enough to validate the cost of such a system to the possible return in temps.

I think you might look at a/c for the room, it sounds like you might be in school and overheated people do not perform nor learn well, and chicks dig a/c to boot!!!!
I have been to a minning area in your north east called weipa(?), hot as blue blazes and better bring your own ice!!!

Yeah, air con is definitely the go. Have tried liquid coolers. They're only good until the water in the reservoir heats up. Rads are better at passing off heat, and sometimes will rid enough heat between levels to keep a system stable. Not if you're playing BF4 when say 1000-2000 ticket round though. It would probably be enough with an Intel chip. Those suckers can handle more heat than AMD chips.

I think AC does make the most sense now I think about it, as it will also cool my video card by lowering overall room temps.

EDIT: You an Aussie caddi daddi?

Last edited:
Back