• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120 temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thx for the help trents :).

Caddi, I've tried to find balanced 24/7 OC that would last through the summer, haven't really tried to see how far does it go yet but I've been itching to try. How far do you let the socket temps go on prime? Also do you run blend test and with all 8 workers?

Thx for the help trents :).

Caddi, I've tried to find balanced 24/7 OC that would last through the summer, haven't really tried to see how far does it go yet but I've been itching to try. How far do you let the socket temps go on prime? Don't let the reach 70c. Also do you run blend test and with all 8 workers? Definitely. You many have to manually adjust the worker panes in the Prime95 user interface with your mouse in order to see all 8 worker panes. Eight would be the default of the program unless you configured it otherwise. Did you configure it to not use all the cores?

I've always ran blend with 8 workers. I thought if caddi has to reduce workers for long prime tests at 4.9 GHz or is it cool enough to just let it run over night on water.

On 4.4 GHz and 1.310V Prime blend goes to 65 C, thats with case sides open and NH-D14 fans at full speed.

Last edited:
i can just turn off cores in bios if i want,but then i would have paid a very high price for a 4100 or 6100.
if you do not run all 8 workers in prime 95 it'a a fail.
I can run with less cores, but required voltage remains about the same, it just heats less.
my 24/7 clock is as a four core.I run a chassis setup program that is all numbers crunching and has now been converted and redone in linux and that is run at 4.5 on all 8 core. about the only other thing i do with the 8 core machine is play angerybirds with my 3 yeasr old grandson, so 4 cores is good.

I thought I blew up something yesterday. I tried to OC my 1866 RAM to 2133 and left the timings same, started computer and while Windows was loading I got a crash, went to BIOS and changed the frequency back but when I got to Windows again I saw that there was no sound device anymore, went to device manager and noticed that about a half of the devices had an exclamation mark with the error code 3, something that the driver is corrupted or the hardware is faulty. I tried to reset BIOS, removed the RAM and tried to install it into different slots but nothing worked. Fortunately it was just some weird error in Windows and got fixed by a clean install. Would be interesting to know what happened though.

I'm little confused about memory overclocking. If I OC to 2133, and my default timings are 9-11-9-27 at 1866, how do I change the timings? Do I try 11-13-11-27, 11-11-11-27 or something else?

Also about CPU VID. I've seen alot of people saying that higher VID is better but after reading about it, it says that lower is better. To me lower = better makes sense since that is the voltage that CPU requires to be stable at stock, so you can get away with less voltage and OC more. But which is it?

Holy F. I've reseated my NH-D14 tree times, always the same results. I've always used little bigger than bb but smaller than pea sized drop of paste. Now I decided to literally follow the Noctua NT-H1 paste instructions, a drop 4-5mm diameter, put heatsink onto the CPU, turn it back and forth a few times to spread the paste then fasten the heatsink.

I dropped 10C on max core temperatures in prime! A drop of 4-5mm always seemed too much but I guess they were right.

joni, i find 70c max on the socket, 55c max on the cores tops safe.
in hardware monitor socket temp is cpu temp and core temps are listed as core0-7.

4-6mm is right between a bb and a pea. if i use closer to a pea i have a lot of cleaning up to do before i can boot.

please post a screen shot of hardware monitor while running full load and the ever kind MR TRENTS can help you much more, as he has allways schooled me very well indeed.

less tan 8 cores in any stress test is a fail.
please read dolks guide to overclocking the phenom at the fist page of this amd cpu section, it applys to us very well.
4.4 with this chip is just about where the voltage has to go over 1.4.

Back