• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8120; ty Bassnut

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamerMagnet

sUbA2.jpg

Changing from a Mid-tower NZXT M59 to a well ventilated Full Tower NZXT Phantom allowed me to push her up another 100mhz. Just giving acknowledgment to the one who helped this happen. Thanks again.

You're more than welcome. Have you noticed something else ..... your Socket temps are down to a very managable 49*C and I bet you can shave a bit more off than that yet.

Yep, that 100Mhz seems like little but for the money that 'bassnut' has put into his overclock and the others that I have seen run big numbers on FX 8 core, it is just not easy to get those mhz and getting them is a real accomplishment.

Glad 'bassnut' had something he shared that was a real bonus for a user and thanks for giving him some kudos.

RGone...ster.:chair:

You're more than welcome. Have you noticed something else ..... your Socket temps are down to a very managable 49*C and I bet you can shave a bit more off than that yet.
I believe TMPIN2 is the CPU temperature.
TMPIN1 is most likely northbridge. (AMD 990FX)

I'm not home right now but I'll confirm tonight on my UD5.

Would be much appreiciated BeepBeep. With exception of 1 Board that was a gigabyte and 1 MSI all my work has been with Asus boards.

i think tmpin 2 is socket temps. and my nb is timpin1.

Don't like the way gigabyte did the VRM/NB heatsink. Just seems with that heat pipe connecting the 2 the temps are warmer than they should be.

i don't feel so bad now, over the past week or two I've been seeing a lot of threads about the 8120 and 8150 being stuck at 4ghz or 4.2ghz.

Mine isn't causing problems like they are having, just hitting the heat wall.

Yes it is a bigger deal .... the Heat then allot of people even me when I first got my FX 8120. I was fortunate that it was in the basment and ambient temps were only around 60*F at the hottest maybe 70*F. I really never noticed till I moved it up stairs. Now AMD has dropped the price on them and allot of people are buying them and to compound the problems some are using mid to lower end motherboards and cases which can't deal with the power phase and heat it generates. The plus side for me is that when Piledriver comes out I will have a system that can deal with more heat then it, if what we have heard is right is correct.

I still believe you can tweak your system a bit yet, if you have a mind to and get a little more outof it. That being said you ahve come along way to understandng this hobby, hopefully you will not get as addicted or pulled in as deep as I have.

Got a 965 in the machine with UD5 and stock cooler @ 3.82 / 2.6 1.38v 1.25v
TMPIN1 reads 46c idle.
TMPIN2 is 61-63c
Cores are 50c.

I have this CPU OCed on stock cooler with fan control enabled, I don't recommend this for most people.

I don't have time tonight, just got home to confirm what exactly is going on here however I still believe TMPIN2 is the CPU temperature.

Confirmed, TMPIN1 is socket temperature.
TMPIN2 seems to be VRMs, reached 80c in no time with CPU under load. (Phenom II in this machine)

However the socket temperature reads between 5 and 10c low. My 965 hit 68c load on cores, and the max reached for TMPIN1 was 63c.

This CPU is on the stock cooler, which is the reason for high temps.

Back