• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8150 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jordanrctm

I have just purchased the following parts to start my newest build and have a question as to which mode will enhance my performance the best.
I purchased the FX8150 3.6gh 8 core processor, Asus Crosshair V formula MB, 32gb of G.Skill DDR3, XFX 7970 overclocked double D video card, Cooler Master HAF advanced case, Lite-on blue ray burner, Lite-on lightscribe DVD burner, Asus 27" LED HD monitor, Thermal Take gaming keyboard, TT gaming mouse, microsoft 7 ultimate, (1) 256gb SSD for primary, (1) hybrid sata drive 1tb for backup, and WD 3tb drive for video editing and media sharing, and a PC Power and Cooling 1200Watt server power supply. I will be installing the FX8150 with a H100 water cooler for the CPU only. I also purchased a Monster Cable line conditioner/surge protector unit.
Now to the question, I have heard or read somewhere that the FX 8 core processor can run faster with out overclocking if ran as a 4 core. Is this true? will it perform better as a 4 core unit, than as an 8 core?
Thanks for your help in advance!!

If your asking if the 8150 will automatically run faster if you disable 4 of the cores, the answer is NO. Disabling 4 of the cores the cpu will still run @ 3.6Ghz, BUT it will OC a bit higher with less required voltage.
Too me it just doesn't make any sense to buy a 8 core processor and only run it @ 4 cores.
The 8150's is not at it's best working a single thread, but OC it to 4.9 or 5.0Ghz and put it in a multi-thread environment and that's where it shines.

If your asking if the 8150 will automatically run faster if you disable 4 of the cores, the answer is NO. Disabling 4 of the cores the cpu will still run @ 3.6Ghz, BUT it will OC a bit higher with less required voltage.
Too me it just doesn't make any sense to buy a 8 core processor and only run it @ 4 cores.
The 8150's is not at it's best working a single thread, but OC it to 4.9 or 5.0Ghz and put it in a multi-thread environment and that's where it shines.

Yeah.... like, just get an FX-4170 or something if you don't think you need all those cores, an FX-4 is an FX-8 with half the cores. :)

Yeah.... like, just get an FX-4170 or something if you don't think you need all those cores, an FX-4 is an FX-8 with half the cores. :)

I do not want to run it with 4 cores disabled and did not understand the reference was for over clocking speeds. It kind of sounded strange to me, but I have been out of this for 6 or so years and was not associated with messing with the multi core processors. Thanks for your input. I will try to get it assembled this weekend and start the over clocking after a week of burn in.

Another question. Since I am using the water cooler for the CPU, will I need to have a fan blowing across the heat sinks like the CPU fan would? Or will they run cool enough as is? The case I am using has one 230mm fan blowing directly in thi area.

if they are gettin good airflow to them should be fine alot of the heat in the area is from air-cooled cpu,s with a waterkit there is no cpu heat in the case, because the waterblock takes it out

all the air you can get to the heatsinks the better with these hot, power hungry 8 cores.

Back