• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8300 @4.3 GHz 1.44 vCore Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asedme

Hi there! I'm a new member of this forum. I don't speak english very well but i will try to explain myself.

This is my system:

FX 8300
Evo 212 Cooler with 2 Fan
MSI 970 Gaming
16 GB DDR3 Hyperx Savage 2400 MHz @1600 MHz
GTX 750 Ti
400 W Thermaltake OEM Psu, (372 W from 12V Rail.)

Here is my problem. I can't hold my CPU stable at 4.3 GHz anything below 1.44 vCore voltage. As i see on the forum everyone using O.Ced FX 8 core processor below 1.40 vCore. Why i cant?. I disabled all power saving features from bios. Here is picture from my overclock during heavy load. How can i keep stable my overclocked FX processor with low voltage? Because on 1.44, my VRM's really hot. Its about 69 C max.

nIF5QFr.jpg

Every CPU manufactured (even if it is the same make and model) will have different over-clocking potential and will therefore respond differently to the same voltage. The reasons for that are that the quality of the silicon used from one batch to another will vary and there will also be subtle differences in manufacturing processes from plant to plant. Then you add in other variables such as the quality of the motherboard and power supply, speed of the memory, cooling, etc. to produce different results from system to system. The first factor, the quality of the silicon is probably the biggest variable. You may not know this but you can buy a dozen CPUs of the same model and they will all have a different stock operating voltage from the factory. Those coming from the factory requiring a higher starting factory just to operate stably at stock frequency will have less over-clocking headroom. The manufacturer turns them out and sells them as long as they fall within certain voltage parameters or a window in which they are stable. Thus, you can buy one FX-8300 that will run at default frequencies at a default voltage of say 1.8 and another will require 1.225. I'm making those voltage numbers up out of my head just for illustrative purposes. So it sounds like you did not win the silicon lottery.

Last edited:
Every CPU manufactured (even if it is the same make and model) will have different over-clocking potential and will therefore respond differently to the same voltage. The reasons for that are that the quality of the silicon used from one batch to another will vary and there will also be subtle differences in manufacturing processes from plant to plant. Then you add in other variables such as the quality of the motherboard and power supply, speed of the memory, cooling, etc. to produce different results from system to system. The first factor, the quality of the silicon is probably the biggest variable. You may not know this but you can buy a dozen CPUs of the same model and they will all have a different stock operating voltage from the factory. Those coming from the factory requiring a higher starting factory just to operate stably at stock frequency will have less over-clocking headroom. The manufacturer turns them out and sells them as long as they fall within certain voltage parameters or a window for to make the stable. Thus you can buy one FX-8300 that will run at default frequencies at a default voltage of say 1.8 and another will require 1.225. I'm making those voltage numbers up out of my head just for illustrative purposes. So it sounds like you did not win the silicon lottery.

Hey, thank you very much for your respond. I've got few question. Now I am stable 4.3 GHz with 1.44 vCore. My question is there any risk using my CPU with this voltage? I understand you very good. Asked that because my motherboard VRM is really hot. With 1.44 GHz vCore my VRM temp is max 69C stable. Is this dangerious for my mobo? And i know temperature limits for my CPU but what about my VRM's? What is the limit for VRM temperature?

Sorry for my english, i tried to explain myself...

You are at the temp limit for both your CPU package and your socket (VRM) temps with regard to stability but both are within safe ranges. Not sure what the "official" safe temps are but I can tell you what people find are the temp stability limits for the FX generation. I'm guessing they (safe temp limits) are around 70c but AMD can be evasive as to whether or not that refers to socket or package temp. We recommend being able to complete at least a 2 hr. Prime95 blend test to confirm stability.

I note you are running your 2400 mhz rated RAM at only 1600 mhz. Any reason for that? Usually, FX CPU struggle to be stable at 2400 but usually they will handle 1866 okay. But maybe you have experimented and found that drives temps too high or just won't be stable in your situation.

Last edited:
You are at the temp limit for both your CPU package and your socket (VRM) temps with regard to stability but both are within safe ranges. Not sure what the "official" safe temps are but I can tell you what people find are the temp stability limits for the FX generation. I'm guessing they (safe temp limits) are around 70c but AMD can be evasive as to whether or not that refers to socket or package temp. We recommend being able to complete at least a 2 hr. Prime95 blend test to confirm stability.

I note you are running your 2400 mhz rated RAM at only 1600 mhz. Any reason for that? Usually, FX CPU struggle to be stable at 2400 but usually they will handle 1866 okay. But maybe you have experimented and found that drives temps too high or just won't be stable in your situation.

Hey thank you again.

I run at 1600 MHz because I couldn't find 1866 MHz XMP profile. There is two profile and they are 2133 and 2400. How can i set my RAM frequence at 1866? Do i need O.C. my NB or something like that?

You can also install small "spot" fans to blow directly on the VRM heat sinks if you are concerned the temps are too high. I find that 50 mm fans are about right for that and can be attached with zip ties, hot glue, double-sided adhesive strips, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you won't find 1866 as an XMP profile. In your bios there should be a setting where you can adjust the memory frequency manually to various preset values or "dividers" as we used to call them. You might have to take something off of "Auto" to see the choices.

It might not be worth the hassle to work for higher memory speeds because it would increase temps a little and you are already on the cusp of being too hot.

You can also install small "spot" fans to blow directly on the VRM heat sinks if you are concerned the temps are too high. I find that 50 mm fans are about right for that and can be attached with zip ties, hot glue, double-sided adhesive strips, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you won't find 1866 as an XMP profile. In your bios there should be a setting where you can adjust the memory frequency manually to various preset values or "dividers" as we used to call them. You might have to take something off of "Auto" to see the choices.

It might not be worth the hassle to work for higher memory speeds because it would increase temps a little and you are already on the cusp of being too hot.

Yes I found option you said. If i manually change my RAM speed to 1866 do i have to increase DRAM Voltage, NB frequency or something like that?

You should not have to increase the DRAM voltage as the RAM will run at 2400 mhz on stock voltage. And you may get by just fine without any NB voltage increase. Try it first without a NB voltage increase in order to avoid higher temps. If you are unstable at 1866 check the timings as the same timings you were running at 1600 may be too aggressive at 1866 and I am not sure the bios will automatically adjust them.

By the way, you're doing very good with the English so far. What is your native language?

You should not have to increase the DRAM voltage as the RAM will run at 2400 mhz on stock voltage. And you may get by just fine without any NB voltage increase. Try it first without a NB voltage increase in order to avoid higher temps. If you are unstable at 1866 check the timings as the same timings you were running at 1600 may be too aggressive at 1866 and I am not sure the bios will automatically adjust them.

By the way, you're doing very good with the English so far. What is your native language?

Turkish is my native language sir. I'm from Turkey. I never felt like a traditional turkish person. I always interested in classical music, western culture. My whole world different than my nationality. I guess you're from USA right?

You knocked off 2-3 degrees Celsius from your temps which is good. Safe, yes.

Seems like everything is fine. Thank you so much for your help really. I learned precious infos from you. :)

Before I forget, welcome to Overclockers Forums. When you get a chance, please create a "Sig." That way, information about your system components will travel with every post you make and will be of help to those helping you. To create a Sig, click on "Settings" in the upper right hand corner of this page and then look down the left side for "Edit Signature." You never mentioned what case you have. Please include that in your Signature. And you are most welcome. Have a great day.

Back