• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8320 fine tuning on OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I've got my FX-8320 stable @4600Mhz. Ran prime for over 2 hours no faults max temp mid 50's. I don't know if it will go higher and I'll not try with my present cooling system. I'll need better for that. I got here after pulling the bone out of my head and rereading stevenb's guide. Kept hitting walls well before I should have. I was stuck in OC Phenom II mode. Problem is I can't seem to get it to allow me to bump up the FSB. I can at slower clock speeds but not 4600. So is 4500 210 FSB better than 4600 stock FSB? How much difference does bumping FSB make? I've left the HTT at stock (auto) because it works and my tinkering doesn't. CPUNB is 2600. As far as HTT goes I can set frequency but not multiplier. So I don't know if a setting of 2200 is 2200 with 210 FSB. I can change voltage of HTT but I'm new to that setting and have no idea how much to push it. Same for NB (on board)I haven't even tried changing memory yet but I have terrible luck at that so I'll hold for off now. I'm surprised by how far these things OC and on how little voltage. I'm set at only +0.050 for cpu and 0.025 on CPUNB and gained 1.1Ghz above stock! It's just down to fine tuning now.

Rigit, a few things that stick out to me.
Ran prime for over 2 hours no faults max temp mid 50's.
50's is good but a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load would be more informative as to what temps you are talking about.

I use FSB in my overclocking to get the last few MHz when I'm really pushing or if I want to run my Ram a bit overclocked. When you say it will not allow you to bump up the FSB what exactly do you mean? Are you BIOS limited to less then 210 or can you just not boot at anything above that?

When overclocking we don't recommend using the FSB at first because of the issues you are facing. It changes you Ram Mhz, NB Freq and Ht link spee, it makes it hard to determine what factor is causing instability. What I would try is the following, set your multiplier to stock and then raise your Fsb 5 mhz and run prime for 20 minutes. Rinse and repeat until you fail 20 minutes of prime. While you are doing this try to keep your Ram Mhz, NB Freq and Ht link near their stock settings. This will at least give you an indication of how high you will be able to run your FSB. Furthermore if the settings for your Ht Link and NB Freq are for the frequency, when setting it to say 2200 it is a 11x multiplier, therefore it will actually be 11x the FSB or 2310 if the FSB is at 210.

Every chip is different, but 4.6 for mine was the sweet spot for OC to Cpu V. Once I go past 4.6 I have to start increasing the Cpu V dramatically. If my memory serves me correctly I had to increase from 1.40 to 1.46875 to get from 4.6 to 4.7 stable.

Rigit, a few things that stick out to me.
50's is good but a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load would be more informative as to what temps you are talking about.

I use FSB in my overclocking to get the last few MHz when I'm really pushing or if I want to run my Ram a bit overclocked. When you say it will not allow you to bump up the FSB what exactly do you mean? Are you BIOS limited to less then 210 or can you just not boot at anything above that?

When overclocking we don't recommend using the FSB at first because of the issues you are facing. It changes you Ram Mhz, NB Freq and Ht link spee, it makes it hard to determine what factor is causing instability. What I would try is the following, set your multiplier to stock and then raise your Fsb 5 mhz and run prime for 20 minutes. Rinse and repeat until you fail 20 minutes of prime. While you are doing this try to keep your Ram Mhz, NB Freq and Ht link near their stock settings. This will at least give you an indication of how high you will be able to run your FSB. Furthermore if the settings for your Ht Link and NB Freq are for the frequency, when setting it to say 2200 it is a 11x multiplier, therefore it will actually be 11x the FSB or 2310 if the FSB is at 210.

Every chip is different, but 4.6 for mine was the sweet spot for OC to Cpu V. Once I go past 4.6 I have to start increasing the Cpu V dramatically. If my memory serves me correctly I had to increase from 1.40 to 1.46875 to get from 4.6 to 4.7 stable.

Here's Hmonitor. Got a bit warmer that time. 58C. Also I don't understand that vcore. It's not set that high and the highest I've seen it get is 1.48. Maybe LLC has something to do with this? I've set it to extreme in order to keep voltage close to what it's set at but maybe normal would be a better setting? 1.5 isn't horrible but I don't like it just the same. By the sounds of it, upping FSB has little to give. Note: There's no fan speed for CPU because I'm not using the CPU plug at the moment. I'd been having trouble getting both fans on the rad to turn the same speed. CPU seemed to be limited to like 1400-1500 while the other was 1850-1900. I didn't like it and moved them to system 1 and system 2. The pump is on power 1. Fans are now identical for speed.

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 343
I can never remember what TMPIN temps are what on the Giga boards but yes your temps look good. Yes the LLC is what is giving the Cpu V a kick in the butt. It's different for motherboard manufacturers so you need to adjust it to see what it does on different settings. On my CHV board I find it overshoots my set Cpu V too much for my liking. I really only use it there when I trying to push above 5.3. If it was set at Extreme when you ran prime for two hours I would drop it down and then re run prime. You may find that you need to re-adjust your Cpu V a bit higher in order to pass, but the board may not kick the V core up as high as 1.5 and you may get some lower temps out of it.

Q:In CPUID HWMonitor, which of the "TMPIN" temperatures apply to what?

A:TMPIN0 = System (motherboard PCB) temperature; TMPIN1 = CPU (socket) temperature; TMPIN2 = Motherboard (chipset) temp

Back