• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 bios update lost OC settings need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blozz

Registered
Hello guys, after a long 8 months without having an OC'ing Drama's i decided to be stupid and upgrade BIOS and from Windows 7 -8.1 ultimately deleting my OC settings from my BIOS...
i was at 4.7GHZ @ 1.4425 stable on my FX-8350 after P95 blend test. but now i cant even get 4.6ghz stable @ 1.46v
im not sure what could possibly be the problem.... will upload some photos of bios screens in a minute! Would greatly appreciate if someone could dedicate some time talking to me over voice on skype to help me sort it out, if not the forum shall suffice.
please help guys! i just want a stable OC @ 4.7 again.

Specs listed below
cheers brendan

Double check that the RAM speed/timings/voltage is set correctly.

SO you updated the bios to the most recent are you using Win 8.1? Did you update to most recent chipset drivers? Is there anyreason you can't flash back to previous bios( assuming you know which one it is) then your settings would work again.

SO you updated the bios to the most recent are you using Win 8.1? Did you update to most recent chipset drivers? Is there anyreason you can't flash back to previous bios( assuming you know which one it is) then your settings would work again.

hello, i dont know which bios i was using in the first place :(
im pretty sure when i first updated bios and installed windows 8.1 it automatically downloaded latest chipset drivers....
and yes i am on windows 8.1
will be attaching 8 photos in the next few minutes.

Blozz don't think I'm trying to brush you off but instead of reinventing the wheel why don't you go back to your original post and try going from there. Things should be very similar since there were no hardware changes. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739741

One suggestion as well is to clear the CMOS before you start. It's always a good idea to do that after a bios flash.

i have tried everything from the previous forum! also, i have no idea what a CMOS is....

Have seen a couple of users in the AMD mobo section respond that flashing the bios to later version made them have to RE-tweak their system completely. In such case they either do it or flash back to their previous bios and then they were able to use their previous settings. Bioses are after all a change of the firmware of the mobo. No assurance that there will not have to be changes made to the overall settings after changing the firmware. Such has always been the situation and why it has been said not to flash a bios unless it is said to FIX an issue the user has.
RGone...

okay RGone! so if i re-flash back to the previous bios i will have the settings saved still or will i have to re-enter them?

It's a jumper on your board for clearing the BIOS memory. Gives it a clean slate.
As ATM said let's have a look at the ram. I see it's on auto for voltage How abot timings. This is something I said in that post I linked for your previous OC
Okay the XMP just doesn't list a setting for 1866. Just looked it up and it says 9-10-9-28 for timings and set the volts to 1.55v minimum even 1.57 see if that helps.

okay RGone! so if i re-flash back to the previous bios i will have the settings saved still or will i have to re-enter them?

IF you still have that profile saved in your OC Profiles you can use it with the bios it was made under.

It's a jumper on your board for clearing the BIOS memory. Gives it a clean slate.
As ATM said let's have a look at the ram. I see it's on auto for voltage How abot timings. This is something I said in that post I linked for your previous OC

okay just set all the timings up according to what you quoted and am now running a prime 95 blend to see what happens
cheers

You can take pictures of bios screen settings with a camera or use a Usb stick formatted FAT 32 to use F12 key in bios to save pics of bios setup to Usb stick as a .bmp format image. You must scroll and take more than one F12 save to Usb stick on those LONG pages. Often when I flash a bios on newer UEFI bios, it seems to erase my saved profiles so I KEEP pics of bios setup.
RGone...

thanks for the help guys! worked out the problem was my ram wasn't getting enough voltage... upped it to 1.6v from 1.5v and is now 100% stable on 4.7ghz @ 1.4425v

Glad that worked!
That's the first thing I do to any new (or CMOS reset, or BIOS flashed) system.

Good news Blozz ! Glad it all worked out for you.

i have tried everything from the previous forum! also, i have no idea what a CMOS is....

CMOS=Complementary Metallic Oxide Semiconductor, i.e., a programmable chip where the bios lives. "Clearing" it means resetting it to it's original state to remove any changes that the operator may have made to it, visible or hidden. Clearing the CMOS is usually accomplished via a jumper on the motherboard but can also be done by removing the battery for a period of time.

Last edited:
Also just for peoples future knowledge, a bios flash will delete ALL profiles that you saved. There is no getting them back. You have to manually re-enter them.

Yes but I was referring to a thumb drive save. Pretty sure the Sabo lets you save them off board as well been a while since I've had mine out.

Back