• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 core boost....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skribble

Registered
i was wondering... i dont think core boost is working. i have it enabled via bios but when i torture test prime95 the multipliers start going crazy fluctuating between x17 and x20.5 back and forth and it goes from like 3800 to 4150, never seen any core go up to 4200 but isn't that how the boost is supposed to work? isn't it supposed to get to 4200 under load?

motherboard: gigabyte ga-970a-ud3
gpu's: radeon 7850's crossfired
cpu: amd 8350
750w power supply
corsair h60 liquid cooling

Have you checked your temps at load to make sure it's not throttling from heat, and have you turned off APM in your BIOS to get rid of APM throttling?

never seen any core go up to 4200 but isn't that how the boost is supposed to work? isn't it supposed to get to 4200 under load?

Nope Turbo Core does not work like that. You might want to see this post I put up earlier today and within it is a link that explains Turbo Core as well or parts of better than I have seen previously.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7382061&postcount=3

Most of us that overclock in here on the AMD boards disable Turbo Core anyway so we know what to expect from the cpu and keep the speed of the overclock up on each core at all times.

Oh ok, guess that makes sense. Ill probably disable it then. What exactly is apm and apm throttling? Also, I used to have a 4170 that I overclocked to 4.8 stable using easy tune 6. I wanted to do the same with the 8350 but when I go into easy tune it shows 4200 as the max overclock it can do, why is that? I really don't want to jump into the bios because of breaking something. Or can I just increase the multiplier and be done with it.?

IF you can get to voltage settings in Easy Tune 6, then the chances of breaking something with it are just as great as with bios settings. Most of the newer UEFI type bioses display choices not much different than a windows overclocking tool does.

I personally have no real time in the saddle with a Gigabyte mobo and never use overclocking software at all on any brand of mobo. So I have no idea why EasyTune6 shows max limit as 4.2Ghz. IF user "Anonaru" or "ssjwizard" gets time and looks in this thread they use Gigabyte UD3 boards and may have used EasyTune6.

I disable the APM setting in bios so that the various up-throttle/down-throttle functions in the cpu and VRM circuits do not throttle cpu under load. Doing so requires very good cooling when the cpu is then pushed hard since temps rise fast when pushed and the circuits are not allowed to drop off speed to reduce heat.

should i disable coon n quiet, turbo core boost, c6, C1E and APM before i start overclocking? these settings are for saving power then i assume?

should i disable coon n quiet, turbo core boost, c6, C1E and APM before i start overclocking? these settings are for saving power then i assume?

Generally all of that is disabled in bios by the majority of us. Plus in Win 7 we set the power management mode to "High Performance Mode" so that Winders does no throttling.
EDIT: When all those internal or non-user adjustable savers are in use, it shows odd cpu speeds and odd voltages when you make captures in HWMonitor and the like. The circuits have throttled this or upped that and the images cannot transmit to us by a picture what is happening. So turn it all off until you learn your rig. That part we cannot tell you easily. I do a lot things, that I seldom ever mention in the forums since it only can make it more confusing. I tweak things that do not show up well in a graphic capture when trying to show what is happening. If you stay with it and learn your rig...you can adjust for a system more in line with your own thinking/needs. END EDIT.

How to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Last edited:
alright, made the sig, thanks:D also, you mean High performance mode? i don't see a power mode.

Your motherboard power phase components are not heavy duty and the FX 8350 may overwhelm it.

oh, i didnt even think about that... :(. so the motherboard may bottleneck the cpu?

oh, i didnt even think about that... :(. so the motherboard may bottleneck the cpu?

The phrase would not be bottleneck as we normally think of a bottleneck that 'trent's is talking about. What he is talking about is the VRM voltage circuit to the cpu is not exceptionally heavy duty to supply power without possible problem from overheat etc.

Back