• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Hi, I was planning on getting a 6350 but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a 8350 so I got it. I put it in my EVO for now to see how it ran. I have a problem with it & it's certainly something I'm missing in the setup. It booted fine & temps look real good. I ran CUP-Z & CUP temp & both show (4-cores, 4-threads) see ss below. I also ran Win 7 WEI & it gave me a lower score than my 4170. I also noticed that CPU-Z was reporting L2 cache as 2x2048 HELP please :confused::bang head

Attachments

• 8350.PNG
    8350.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 157
  • core t.PNG
    core t.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Try this papadan, go to the search/run bar on the start menu. Type in msconfig and hit enter. Once the window opens select the boot tab. Then click on advanced options. check the #of processors box then select 8 and hit OK Reboot and it should be fixed. These kind of things happen when using dirty windows.

So did you try it anyway?? If that's the same board as before did you do a bios clear before setup. It may be stuck at 4 cores from memory>

So did you try it anyway?? If that's the same board as before did you do a bios clear before setup. It may be stuck at 4 cores from memory>
Yes I did try it & no joy. I went out on the internet but can't seem to find anything useful. I didn't try a bios clear, but I will. Thanks

I did try it but no joy! I searched on the internet but didn't find much that was useful. I didn't think to clear bios but I will. thanks

I did try it but no joy. I searched out on the internet but didn't find much that would help. I didn't think to clear bios but I will. Thanks

Yes and no. I have changed boards and processors and never personally had the problem you're having. I swap CPU's constanly in the same board. But sometimes windows just doesn't like it. Did you check the bios in the CPU section to make sure that the extra 2 modules have been enabled??
Thanks I thought it was awsome too!

Yes and no. I have changed boards and processors and never personally had the problem you're having. I swap CPU's constanly in the same board. But sometimes windows just doesn't like it. Did you check the bios in the CPU section to make sure that the extra 2 modules have been enabled??
Thanks I thought it was awsome too!
Yes, bios is showing all 4 are enabled. I'm going to make reinstalling windows the last resort. It is no fun.

Last edited:
What does task manager show you?? I was thinking you may need to re-install CPUz and core temp but I doubt it. I think windows is missing the boat. I'm going to do some reading, usually that first solution fixes it. I would check msconfig again to see if there was a change after the bios clear.

Here's something I found that might be worth a shot. Looks pretty simple. Device Manager > Processors tab > Right click CPU and click scan for hardware changes

Here's something I found that might be worth a shot. Looks pretty simple. Device Manager > Processors tab > Right click CPU and click scan for hardware changes
Good find but it didn't do anything. I'll try anything, so I'll reinstall CPU-Z. I'm researching it also. Thanks

Well I reinstalled CPU-Z & no go. I think it is windows also. I ran msinfo32 & it shows the processor as a 8350 but 2-cores, 4-logical processors.

Ya I'm pretty much out of ideas. Hopefully a new windows will work. What version of BIOS are you running?? The reason I ask is you don't have any profiles set up yet for the 8350 so a bios flash wouldn't be erasing anything at this point. I would just hate to see you go through a re-install and not fix the problem. Follow me ? I know from experience that an old bios can do weird things when swapping parts around. I f you do decide to flash it make sure to clear the CMOS after. Gives it a good fresh start and is necessary.

The REinstall I was speaking about is windows itself. Seems probably the only cure at this moment.

I see a lot newer users coming into the forum with their bios showing some form of manual for cores set that way and not AUTO. When you install windows that way it can choose the correct HAL for the current cpu and not the next cpu and cause the necessary REinstall of windows.

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Computer > I think it is right click computer and view what is there. If it is uniprocessor that is likely the issue. You might be able to tell it to scan for changes and update driver, but you may not be able to boot afterwards.

I would do what is necessary to safeguard your data and REisntall windows so you can ensure there is not a cpu issue.
RGone...

Go into the BIOs itself.

Find where it gives options for CPU control.

See if CPU cores are disabled in the bios.

Back