• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8370 High Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coldfiredragon

Registered
System Setup:
Case - NZXT H440
Fans: 3x Coolermaster JetFlo 120 (front) with the silent adapters, 3x Coolermaster JetFlo 120 (top) with the silent adapters, 1x Corsair AF140 (back)
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA GAMING
CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Not Overclocked)
Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5
VideoCard: MSI 390X GAMING 8G

When I stress test with OCCT or Prime95 temps hover 43c-45c, idle is 21c-22c. Would normally say that all seems fine, however when in World of Warcraft in a raid my temps spike and sit at 60-62c.

No other games do this Fallout 4, SWTOR, etc. Tried several benchmarks, 3D Mark, Unengine, nothing else spikes the temps.

I don't see how it can be getting so hot in that game.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Last edited:
System Setup:
Case - NZXT H440
Fans: 3x Coolermaster JetFlo 120 (front) with the silent adapters, 3x Coolermaster JetFlo 120 (top) with the silent adapters, 1x Corsair AF140 (back)
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA GAMING
CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Not Overclocked)
Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5
VideoCard: MSI 390X GAMING 8G

When I stress test with OCCT or Prime95 temps hover 43c-45c, idle is 21c-22c. Would normally say that all seems fine, however when in World of Warcraft in a raid my temps spike and sit at 60-62c.

No other games do this Fallout 4, SWTOR, etc. Tried several benchmarks, 3D Mark, Unengine, nothing else spikes the temps.

I don't see how it can be getting so hot in that game.

Anyone have some suggestions?

On the CPU cooler, is 1 fan pulling air into the cooler and the other blowing air out? I say this because I've seen where both fans on dual fan coolers have both been set to blow in or out. It's easy to get the fans switched when installing it. Only other thing I can think of is not enough thermal paste or cooler not seated.

Being that it's only that one game, I would ignore it as long as you're stable and it's not crashing.
The NiC 5 is a pretty good cooler.

It's likely that GFX card that's heating things up. I know they run hot and IF the air isn't being pulled through that case fast enough your CPU is going to run on preheated air. How do you have the case fans set up ? In from the front and out from the top and back?

I'm with Johan turn up those case fans a bit get the front sucking in and top and back blowing out. Work on your case air flow and your temps will drop.

I agree with the guys above, the Gpu is likely kicking a lot of heat into the case and suspect the reason why you're getting enough airflow to get it out of the case is the "Silent adapters" on your fans. You need to get the hot air out of the case and I bet your temps will drop.

World of Warcraft is a CPU intensive game, especially if you're spending a lot of time in the garrison/ashran/pvp and have your settings on Ultra. Even then it should not spike that hard unless you have some crazy/outdated addon. Other then being the game (which is unlikely since it only happens with it) stick with Johan45.

World of Warcraft is a CPU intensive game, especially if you're spending a lot of time in the garrison/ashran/pvp and have your settings on Ultra. Even then it should not spike that hard unless you have some crazy/outdated addon. Other then being the game (which is unlikely since it only happens with it) stick with Johan45.
More intensive then Prime by 20c?

If OP has an outdated addon (not working correctly) hell yes. I remember a couple years back a dps meter called Recount was causing havoc with temps and bandwidth. It's suspicious that it only happens with WoW. But what do i know :confused:

So taking everyone's suggestions here is what I have done.

Set the 6 JetFlo fans to run at full speed, took some readings across the board, below. Notice it didn't affect it. But since it's only in WoW and I am not crashing or freezing I think I am going to let it pass. It's strange Fallout 4 doesn't do this and it's far more graphics intensive. Unless anyone else has some insight into something I am missing.

System Build - Here is the system its self with the side panel off so you can get a look at it.
system.jpg

Here is Idle Temps
idle.png

Here is Prime95 (Taken after 30 mins of running)
prime95.png

This is WoW taken after about 20 mins of a dungeon run
wow.png

Here are the GPU Temps from that Dungeon run (right inlie with what I would expect)
390x.png

See that CPU/GPU usage ? Not regular WoW usage, i hit maybe 40% GPU at 1080p ultra settings, CPU does get hotter then newer dx11 games, but nowhere near that... when did it start, what changed did you do the the system, added anything ? drivers ? addons ? are you using fullscreen or windowed ?

Last edited:
The GPU Usage is during the run in WOW, as is the CPU usage under the section titled "his is WoW taken after about 20 mins of a dungeon run"

Addons are Master Planner, Atlas Loot Enhanced, DBM, Z-Peral, OmniCC

GPU Usage at idle looks like this:
390x-idle.png

It's running at 1440p Ultra settings not 1080p don't know if that's part of it maybe?

System is a brand new build. So there was not anything changed. Did the build let Prime95 run overnight as a burn in test. Then ran OCCT for 2 hours for an additional burn in, then started installing.

Started with Fallout 4, it was no problem, temps were in the 40-43 range. Installed WoW and it does this wierd mid 60's temp. Tried a few other games, Witcher 3, Alien Isolation, CIV, Star Craft 2, Diablo 3, none of them do this with the temps. It's really just boggling to me that it is just one game. And it should not be, if you look it doesn't even load all the cores. It's not gaming in general as nothing else does that. Makes me want to pull out my hair!

Last edited:
Just as a test can you run P95 and Unigine Heaven in a loop? This is how I test a full system having heavy use on CPU and GPU at the smae time and you'll quickly see how well you are getting rid of the heat. If it doesn't cause the same problem then it must be WOW related

Just as a test can you run P95 and Unigine Heaven in a loop? This is how I test a full system having heavy use on CPU and GPU at the smae time and you'll quickly see how well you are getting rid of the heat. If it doesn't cause the same problem then it must be WOW related

Yep will go loop them and post results. I like that idea for testing running both at once. Update in a bit.

Another simple & fast test you could do is run WoW without add-ons :) Compare results, if not the issue re-install.

Last edited:

Okay so ran with p95 and Have, snagged the CPUID HWMonitor you spoke quite highly of in the links in your sig and ran it for a while. Temps peaked at 50c with them running together.

combined.png

So this has to just be something strange with WoW for some reason. So will probably have to switch to Liquid Cooling (since I play a lot of WoW).

Any thoughts on the Swiftech 220-X?

For the love of Pete, disable addons and run the game, if it isn't the problem, re-install. ITS NOT THE COOLING :)

For the love of Pete, disable addons and run the game, if it isn't the problem, re-install. ITS NOT THE COOLING :)

WoW No Addons
wow-2.png

Cooler has been reinstalled twice (one of the first things I tried)

So if its not the cooling, explain how WoW spiked the temps, but Fallout 4, Witcher 3, or Prime95 + Haven running at the same time don't? Something WoW and WoW alone is doing is driving the CPU though the roof. So solution is better cooling to bring that down as far as I can tell. If the Cooler was not installed right or well those other tests would have spiked the temps too. So other than the cooler what else could be done to bring down temps.

* Reinstall of Cooler - No Change
* Increasing Case Fan Speed - No Change

Other ideas? Because other then moving to liquid cooling I have no other idea what could be done to drop the temps.

Overthinking it.
It's obviously the game, not the cooling. As I said before, if you're not crashing, let it go.

Re-install. If it continues we can troubleshoot further, maybe drivers, maybe Windows itself, maybe something running in the background when you're playing, heard about some malware that does Bitcoin mining while WoW is on (will search threads). It's pointless to waste money on water cooling when the problem is that one game no ?

Back