• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8370 High Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re-install. If it continues we can troubleshoot further, maybe drivers, maybe Windows itself, maybe something running in the background when you're playing, heard about some malware that does Bitcoin mining while WoW is on (will search threads). It's pointless to waste money on water cooling when the problem is that one game no ?

Not really wasting my plan it to O/C it everywhere was out of all the AiO liquid coolers when I put the system together so I opted for the NiC C5 (only decent cooler that won't block 2/4 dimms on this board)

- - - Updated - - -

Overthinking it.
It's obviously the game, not the cooling. As I said before, if you're not crashing, let it go.

That's pretty much where I am at, move to liquid for o/c but yeah pretty much ignore it for now.

Update -- Issue Resolved (Sorta)

So I found the cause of the excess heat. The MSI 990FXA-GAMING allows you to run the RAM at up to 2133MHz. Which was the memory I picked up for the build. But apparently it generates some enormous heat when doing that. I dropped the RAM to 1600MHz and it won't budge over 48c now in WoW.

So I found the cause of the excess heat. The MSI 990FXA-GAMING allows you to run the RAM at up to 2133MHz. Which was the memory I picked up for the build. But apparently it generates some enormous heat when doing that. I dropped the RAM to 1600MHz and it won't budge over 48c now in WoW.

You could try and see if it is stable at 1866. The FX CPUs are rated for it technically.

It was never unstable just too hot and I didn't want to cook it :) Plan to move to a liquid cooling setup and put it back to the 2133MHz soon as I get my next paycheck.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the FX cpu's only had dividers up to 1866. 2133 requires HTT reference clock overclocking which could've caused your extra heat generation.

This is interesting, I wonder if with the ram at 2133 the motherboard was giving the Cpu Nb voltage a huge boost and therefore increasing the heat. Thanks for posting this coldfire. You may and I stress may be able to resolve this, by taking the Cpu Nb voltage off auto. Then seeing what voltage you need manually on the Cpu Nb v to run the ram at 2133.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the FX cpu's only had dividers up to 1866. 2133 requires HTT reference clock overclocking which could've caused your extra heat generation.
It may depend on the board BF but my CHV has dividers up to 2400 Mhz.

This is interesting, I wonder if with the ram at 2133 the motherboard was giving the Cpu Nb voltage a huge boost and therefore increasing the heat. Thanks for posting this coldfire. You may and I stress may be able to resolve this, by taking the Cpu Nb voltage off auto. Then seeing what voltage you need manually on the Cpu Nb v to run the ram at 2133.

It may depend on the board BF but my CHV has dividers up to 2400 Mhz.

My understanding was that the dividers are built into the memory controller (aka CPU in this case) and the motherboards that offer higher memory speeds were utilizing HTT ref. Clk to accomplish those higher multipliers. Now I could be totally wrong, and the motherboards could have the dividers built in, but I thought the memory hangs directly off the memory controller. Older boards with FSB had the memory connected to the NB, but with the newer architecture of CPUs the mother boards just provide the electrical pathways to connect the ram slots to the right CPU pins. Again, I may not have a proper understanding of how the memory connects, or the available multipliers/dividers for the ram.

I would say the problem is your cpu-nb voltage if it is on auto. The board will attempt to maintain stability of the cpunb by upping the voltage to it if it is getting overclocked.

Just to settle this here's a shot I dug up of my CHVz at 2400 memory and 200 HTT
The dividers are part of the boards architecture.

2002 b.jpg

I am very curious about that too. I plan to take a look at the voltages today with it at 1600 and 2133 I have a feeling that it does ramp it up to get the 2133 and heats up.

Ok so it does ramp up the NB Voltage
DDR3-1600MHz 1.192v
DDR3-2133MHz 1.255v

Which I am betting was the cause of seeing the temps rise like it was.

Unfortunately I think the motherboard may have suffered damage from all the heat. 2 SATA ports failed (1 & 3). Think when I order the Liquid Cooler I might replace the board with the ASUS Crosshair Formula-Z.

I'd be surprised if the Sata ports failed because of 60c temps though stranger things have happened before. As far as the Cpu Nb voltage a lot of times a motherboard will give more voltage then is needed to run at X Mhz. In this case Cpu Nb voltage, it will take some trial and error to see exactly how much voltage your setup will need to run the Dram at 2133. You may also try running the sticks at 1866 Mhz, you may not need as much voltage to run them there and the performance difference is negligible at best.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the Vrm section on those Msi boards tend to run hot. You may want to consider putting a spot fan on the Vrm heatsink if you keep it and go to water.

I'd be surprised if the Sata ports failed because of 60c temps though stranger things have happened before. As far as the Cpu Nb voltage a lot of times a motherboard will give more voltage then is needed to run at X Mhz. In this case Cpu Nb voltage, it will take some trial and error to see exactly how much voltage your setup will need to run the Dram at 2133. You may also try running the sticks at 1866 Mhz, you may not need as much voltage to run them there and the performance difference is negligible at best.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the Vrm section on those Msi boards tend to run hot. You may want to consider putting a spot fan on the Vrm heatsink if you keep it and go to water.

It hit 73c the other day which was when the SATA ports failed along with a nice BSOD

Just to settle this here's a shot I dug up of my CHVz at 2400 memory and 200 HTT
The dividers are part of the boards architecture.

Cheers, I will use that as a baseline for my setup as I am troubleshooting a memory issue.

Good info in this thread, good to see you guys got to the bottom of it

:)

It hit 73c the other day which was when the SATA ports failed along with a nice BSOD
is it possible the heat caused it, yes but not likely. It may just be a coincidence. That said if you need another board maybe get a Sabertooth if you want to save some money. The CHV is a great board don't get me wrong, just overkill for most peoples needs.

You guys are outta your minds.
That ram speed thing has nothing to do with the heat problem in that game.
If it did, there would be a heat problem in everything..... unless he was only clocking the ram to 2133 in WoW, and clocking it slower for everything else.

If it did, there would be a heat problem in everything..... unless he was only clocking the ram to 2133 in WoW, and clocking it slower for everything else.

If wow, like most MMOs is consuming gobs of ram, his CPU-NB could be creating lots of heat. Especially if it was overvolted by auto settings. Not all that far fetched it seems to me... o_O

If wow, like most MMOs is consuming gobs of ram, his CPU-NB could be creating lots of heat. Especially if it was overvolted by auto settings. Not all that far fetched it seems to me... o_O

Amount of ram used will not add voltage or heat to CPU/NB.

Run memtest and tell me if your CPU/NB voltage increases when on auto......or your temp for that matter.

Last edited:
is it possible the heat caused it, yes but not likely. It may just be a coincidence. That said if you need another board maybe get a Sabertooth if you want to save some money. The CHV is a great board don't get me wrong, just overkill for most peoples needs.

Money isn't the issue :) I just don't like Intel, their business practices make me not want to support them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's an easily repeatable test. I set the XMP to Profile 1 2133MHz. Run WoW temps will hover around 69, other games about 53. Set to 1600, Wow won't budge over 50 the other wont go over about 42.

WoW seems for some reason to be incredibly CPU intensive.

My only issue is if you ran Prime Blend and your temps never exceeded 43-45c as you said, how Wow could possibly put more stress on the Cpu then Prime. When you mentioned dropping the Dram divider to 1600Mhz it made me think the board was overboosting the Cpu Nb voltage. Due to the game. Though, I have never seen the Cpu temps raise 20c from Cpu Nb voltage it was the only thing I could think would be causing it.

My only issue is if you ran Prime Blend and your temps never exceeded 43-45c as you said, how Wow could possibly put more stress on the Cpu then Prime. When you mentioned dropping the Dram divider to 1600Mhz it made me think the board was overboosting the Cpu Nb voltage. Due to the game. Though, I have never seen the Cpu temps raise 20c from Cpu Nb voltage it was the only thing I could think would be causing it.

And it seems to be. I can recreate it easy and have a couple times. Could also be since 2 SATA ports failed the board could have manufacturing defects it's self. So could be a combination of things. However I did find I was not the only person noticing WoW threw temps though the roof. So I just am not sure. Plan is to order a Crosshair Formula-Z tomorrow, and a liquid cooler, still not decided on which. Looking at Swiftech 220-X, Corsair H100i GTX right now.

Once I swap out the board I will see what I can find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully the Crosshair Formula-Z will have more room between the CPU and RAM, this was a little close.

P_20151227_151125.jpg

Back