• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8370 High Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If wow, like most MMOs is consuming gobs of ram, his CPU-NB could be creating lots of heat. Especially if it was overvolted by auto settings.

WoW with all the expansions in a 40m raid + 10 odd addons (ultra settings 1080p) usually sits around 1.5gb-2gb and never used more then 3gb RAM for me. If its doing more then that there's something wrong. 3gb does not warrant those kind of temperatures.

is it possible the heat caused it, yes but not likely. It may just be a coincidence.

+1

WoW seems for some reason to be incredibly CPU intensive.

It is CPU intensive but nowhere near the amount your copy is putting out (mine heats CPU more then Crysis 3). It's an 11 year old engine, tweaked, revised but never rebuilt for modern day standards. It has to be a flaw in the code or installation or something running in the background like i said before. Short of malware, folding or stress testing nothing to my knowledge (let alone a game) kicks out that amount of heat. Have you ever ran a anti-virus or anti-malware program ? do you have fps drops in certain parts (excluding ashran/garrison) or constantly low for example ?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity why the CHV? Absolutely nothing wrong with it. IThe CHV is the best board on the market for overclocking these Fx 8xxx chips. Though, for most people total overkill, unless one is looking to go extreme and overclock using sub ambient cooling. The Sabertooth 990fx is as good as a board it just doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the CHV. I'm just mentioning this to save you a few bucks, if money is no object then get the CHV you wont be sorry.

It is CPU intensive but nowhere near the amount your copy is putting out (mine heats CPU more then Crysis 3). It's an 11 year old engine, tweaked, revised but never rebuilt for modern day standards. It has to be a flaw in the code or installation or something running in the background like i said before. Short of malware, folding or stress testing nothing to my knowledge (let alone a game) kicks out that amount of heat. Have you ever ran a anti-virus or anti-malware program ? do you have fps drops in certain parts (excluding ashran/garrison) or constantly low for example ?

So I tested that, I did a reformat and clean install of Windows 10 Pro (Even though my old install was less then two weeks old) just so I was starting an absolute zero point. Yes I run both anti0virus and anti-malware, I use Webroot and Malwarebytes.

So Fresh install of Windows, Install WoW, no addons, run it, same thing if the Ram is at 2133MHz I will hover around 65, spike as high as 72. Put ram to 1600MHz won't go over 50. Seems to me pretty clear the issue is the extra voltage (see earlier post of mine for the exact numbers) it pumps out on that setting.

FPS Never drops below about 80 (in some large RAID seconds), usually around 120.

Also there was a rewrite of the main engine by them with WoD that multi threads the CPU aspect pretty well across 4 cores, it hits each core at about 40-60%

See here just idling in my garrison
cpu.png

And here is actually doing a Dungeon
cpu.png

- - - Updated - - -

Just out of curiosity why the CHV? Absolutely nothing wrong with it. IThe CHV is the best board on the market for overclocking these Fx 8xxx chips. Though, for most people total overkill, unless one is looking to go extreme and overclock using sub ambient cooling. The Sabertooth 990fx is as good as a board it just doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the CHV. I'm just mentioning this to save you a few bucks, if money is no object then get the CHV you wont be sorry.

Color. Have to keep Black/Red matches all my LEDs cables etc. I hate ASRock so won't use theirs and the ASUS is the only other Black/Red. I refuse to have mismatched colors in my case, it kills my OCD and I end up tearing apart the computer and rebuilding it to match the color theme.

Last edited:
So I tested that, I did a reformat and clean install of Windows 10 Pro (Even though my old install was less then two weeks old) just so I was starting an absolute zero point. Yes I run both anti0virus and anti-malware, I use Webroot and Malwarebytes.

So Fresh install of Windows, Install WoW, no addons, run it, same thing if the Ram is at 2133MHz I will hover around 65, spike as high as 72. Put ram to 1600MHz won't go over 50. Seems to me pretty clear the issue is the extra voltage (see earlier post of mine for the exact numbers) it pumps out on that setting.

FPS Never drops below about 80 (in some large RAID seconds), usually around 120.

Also there was a rewrite of the main engine by them with WoD that multi threads the CPU aspect pretty well, it hits each core at about 40-60%

The issue here is the fact that it only does that with YOUR copy of WoW on YOUR computer. I had my running at ram/2200mhz cpu/4.8ghz (so much more heat output) and never passed 50c. This is why i leaned toward some sort of software glitch or malware. I personally never heard of anything happening to this degree outside of dodgy/out-of-date addons.

WoW always accepted multi-core CPU's, it had a tweaking to its code to sort out just how many automatically (started out at 2 max). We used to have to add lines below to "World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf" to fully utilize all 8 cores :

SET coresDetected "8"
SET processAffinityMask "255"

The issue here is the fact that it only does that with YOUR copy of WoW on YOUR computer. I had my running at ram/2200mhz cpu/4.8ghz (so much more heat output) and never passed 50c. This is why i leaned toward some sort of software glitch or malware. I personally never heard of anything happening to this degree outside of dodgy/out-of-date addons.

WoW always accepted multi-core CPU's, it had a tweaking to its code to sort out just how many automatically (started out at 2 max). We used to have to add lines below to "World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf" to fully utilize all 8 cores :

SET coresDetected "8"
SET processAffinityMask "255"

I'm well aware I have played since Vanilla ^.^ I also am well aware of what changes have been made to the engine over the last 11 years.

You are running on an ASUS board which at its core I think is a lot better quality then this MSI one. I think given the fact I have had 2 SATA sockets go, the issue is the board not something else. Like I said clean install of Windows and WoW and I can make it do it on command.

Anyway ordered the new Crosshair Formula-Z will swap it out when it gets here, see how that does and go from there. I'll post some updates when it gets here but I have a feeling it will all be good.

Color. Have to keep Black/Red matches all my LEDs cables etc. I hate ASRock so won't use theirs and the ASUS is the only other Black/Red. I refuse to have mismatched colors in my case, it kills my OCD and I end up tearing apart the computer and rebuilding it to match the color theme.
Gotya, as I said was just looking to save you some money. I also understand wanting to stick with a color theme. The CHV is a great board for these chips, let us know what the results are with the new board.

It's the game bro.....or something attributed to the game. It's not got anything to do with your ram speed. Raising your ram speed does not increase any voltage left on auto. Period. Board does not matter. You're gonna find that your new expensive board will make 0 difference.

Aaaannnnnd......I'm wasting my breath.
Have fun.

It's the game bro.....or something attributed to the game. It's not got anything to do with your ram speed. Raising your ram speed does not increase any voltage left on auto. Period. Board does not matter. You're gonna find that your new expensive board will make 0 difference.

Aaaannnnnd......I'm wasting my breath.
Have fun.

See my previous post on it it does raise the voltage, I looked at what BIOS set it to on auto.

Also as I noted it dropped temps across the board on all other things by about 7-10c when moving to 1600.

Then your board is the only board in the world that does it.
Pics or it didn't happen.

It was never unstable just too hot and I didn't want to cook it :) Plan to move to a liquid cooling setup and put it back to the 2133MHz soon as I get my next paycheck.

Don't expect miracles or an AIO solving anything. Except lightening your bank account.

- - - Updated - - -

See my previous post on it it does raise the voltage, I looked at what BIOS set it to on auto.

Also as I noted it dropped temps across the board on all other things by about 7-10c when moving to 1600.

Ok, stock voltage is 1.5 volts. What was it set at? Having 32 gigs of ram could be a BIG problem. That has to stress the IMC like crazy.

Point there, best AIO in the market does what, ~5c difference from the best air cooler at full load ? Noisier as well.

Have you tried custom runs of Prime95 with different amounts of RAM used? The blend test doesn't use all that much.

Also note that the amount of RAM sticks and their type affects the speed the CPU is rated for:

AMD_proc_memory-table.png

I am about to get 16gb of memory I will test this to compared to my 8gb which never ran hot. I wander if I will have the same problem as him with heat. I guess I will see.

IDK anything about voltages changing on their own. But I can definitely attest to ram speed and amount affecting temps and required voltage. For me, 4.9 with 1600ram requires 1.5v while 4.9 with 1920ram requires 1.524v. Dropping my ram down to 1333 allows me to hit 5.0 @ 1.524v while temps drop ~5c. I have 16 gigs of ram and always custom p95 blend with 10,000mb ram usage. Dropping it to 2000mb will reduce temps 5-10c more depending on what I'm doing with the CPU.

Yes but as Mr.Scott said that will affect your rig as a whole, every app/game will produce increased temps which is not the case in OP's setup. Only that specific game does this and as said before only for the OP. More troubling (to me at least) is the sheer amount of heat its kicking out, nothing should top Prime95 by a whole 20c making it go outside safety margins. If it isnt fixed its going to burn something else in the near future.

By the way, i thought speed wise FX RAM sweet-spot was 1866mhz ?

Last edited:
Yes but as Mr.Scott said that will affect your rig as a whole, every app/game will produce increased temps which is not the case in OP's setup. Only that specific game does this and as said before only for the OP. More troubling (to me at least) is the sheer amount of heat its kicking out, nothing should top Prime95 by a whole 20c making it go outside safety margins. If for some stupid reason the ram really is increasing voltage during the raid its going to burn something (if it hasn't already) in the near future.

Exactly. Glad somebody understands. :)

By the way, i thought speed wise FX RAM sweet-spot was 1866mhz ?

Depends on what you mean by sweet-spot. If the motherboard has more than two available memory slots, it's an OC speed. Might not be an issue in practice, though.

Back