• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX and Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

Comparing the FX 8350,20 and 6300's is not a big difference, and I'm not trying to make an argument, which is better Intel vs Amd, but rather, sticking with amd for my next gaming build.These cpu's shine better overclocked, but most people know that, so it's almost a mute point.. I game 60% of the time, and multi-task the other 40%.Check out the first you tube video.I found it very interesting.

Credit given to Shady from AnandTech Forums for all reference below.

If there is a point to this, it's that the FX-8350 can in fact compete and even beat (in some cases, demolish with a +40% margin) much more expensive Intel chips like the i7-3770k. It's able to do so in quite a wide range of different scenarios too.

But one thing that is indisputable, is that Intel chips have superior performance per core. How much varies by task, ranging anywhere from 10% to as much as 40% faster per core.

Most of what people read in forums are based on Intel being better at these benchmarks, run at low resolution on a rig with a GTX 690 GPU (to... isolate the CPU) :

Skyrim
Crysis 2
Metro 2033
Arkham City
DIRT 2
HAWX

Generally gaming is an Intel strong point - but not in all games.

Here's one set of reasons :

If you take a look at the below link (TweakTown), you'll see that these benchmarks don't show all that much difference. The reason? Because TweakTown uses a GTX 580. In other words, gaming stalls on the GPU on anything other than a top of the line GPU anyway :

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/43...ew/index9.html

Last edited:
Both FX's and i5's/i7's are good CPU's, and as you say, most games rely on the GPU.

And even for the CPU dependant games, the FX's are already good enough.

I did a few benchmarks last year in April, as I had at the same time a 2600k (@4.8GHz), a 8120 (@4.8GHz) and a PhII 955BE (@4.1GHz). Together with a GTX580 and a 5830CF.

Used Dirt2/3, Crysis WH and WitcherII. The difference between the 3 CPU's, with both the 580 and the 5830CF was very low. I can't remember the precise figures, but it was something like 5 to 10% FPS@1080p, maybe less, in favor of the 2600k. 8120 and 955 were roughly equal.

So, yes, agreed: they're all good!

Last edited:
I wouldn't give mine up. Been rockin FarCry3, that game will give everything a workout when it's maxed out.

I wouldn't give mine up. Been rockin FarCry3, that game will give everything a workout when it's maxed out.

I'm playing FC3 atm, and I can relate.AMD are the underdogs, but I love my 6300.If I jump up to a 8 core I will need...

1.Better motherboard for higher overclocks.

2.Water cooling....I'm a fish out of water, so I need suggestions or a starting point.

3.Glad to here that comment :p

4.I have i5 in my sig, but canceled the order, so I need mobo, water cooling, and cpu.

Last edited:
Ya they are very demanding CPU's. The AIO that I'm using keeps it below 50° at the posted clock and 1.47 V_core

Wipeout, I saw that you wanted to remove your duplicate thread, so I've done that for you. If you need anything from it, let me know.

Thank-you Thideras.

Here is were I'm still confused.Intel is faster in single thread applications, but on a gaming stand point, what advantage is there if your getting the max fps on the monitor.If a fx cpu can do that, why would a single threaded speed make a difference?

Gaming should be equal using a 60hz monitor at 1080p.Both will max out fps with a good gpu.I do encoding, extracting large files, multi-tasking and other basic stuff.My FX6300 handles that very well, but what are some everyday single thread applications, that make Intel so appealing ? I always went the amd route, so I really cant relate.

A little voice in my head keeps telling me i5 3570k, i5 3570k........:chair:I think that little voice is every thread I read comparing the FX series to the i5 series,but logically, I only use one monitor @ 1080p / 60Hz.The best fps based on my setup is 60fps, which is fine, I'm happy there, so Intel is not as appealing, and fx cpu's have no problems in that senero, so why bother.Most gamers can't tell the difference between 120hz and 60hz.Personally, after around 45fps I can't see the difference myself.The only advantage Intel has in my case is better power consumption.I know it wins in single core performance too, but not sure how that benefits my situation.Is the bottom line GPU performance.

I particularly dont like his guy that does these pc reviews.A good smack upside the head is in order :eh?: but relevant for my reasoning.I'm not trying to be mean.Ok. I'm lying.

Last edited:
That's totally up to you wipeout.
My experience with the FX8350 has been a challenge which I enjoy. Made a judgment error and picked up the wrong board initially. That actually worked out good for my x4 965 cause that's where it ended up. These things really are a handful but optimized properly are also quite rewarding.
Intel has the better performance in a lot of applications and hands down when you compare it on a per core level. But this chip is no slug either and as far as gaming I'm quite content. When it comes to processing my Bluray's it's a real beast. Before I upgraded I put serious thought into getting an i7, research/ price comparisons and so on but in the end I'm still an AMD fan at heart. But in no way do I regret my decision.:attn:
If you decide to go with an FX or an Ivy either way you're looking at a full upgrade. So if you choose the FX don't cheap out on the Mobo or cooling.
In the end I don't know what kind of clocks you're pushing with the 6300 but I don't think you'd see much of an improvement in gaming.
Maybe a beefier board id all you need to rock your current chip. :confused:

If you're looking for applications where the ivy's prevail just check the reviews they're full of them

Those are some relevant points.Thanks.That gives me a better perspective.One reason I considered a 8350 was an excuse to give water cooling a shot, and get rid of my bulky heatsink.With a good motherboard vs the 970 I have now, will give me a nicer set-up, but more importantly, the ability to achieve higher overclocks.I guess I'm bored with the budget board and air cooling.

Back