• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6100 Stock cooled OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tezz311

Hi guys very recently I delved into the world of building a computer and I'm glad I did it however Im looking to get a bit more punch out of what I currently have

Coolermaster scout Case +1 additional 120mm fan
ASUS MA587LM USB3 Motherboard
AMD FX-6100 3.30ghz proccessor with stock cooler

I want to know how far I can push the fx6100 on the stock cooler and what are the key things I should be changing in my BIOS I've seen a few guides on the internet but I just get confused can I change one setting and the others would adjust accordingly or do I change multiple settings together?

Bulldozer OC Guide!
Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly.

How far you can push an FX-6100 on stock cooling is not something we normally keep a record of since it is not very far depending on other factors, such as how much Vcore the cpu has to have to reach a certain speed and how well a certain case can remove the heat that the cpu cooler removes from the CPU itself.

I think if you read the guide as linked above it does not speak to anything being done 'automatically' but tells you what to change.

That CPU has an unlocked multiplier so it's really quite simple to overclock. You don't want to do it with the auto overclocking genie in bios, however. Disable that and chose the manual overclock option. The only two things you will really need to adjust are the CPU multiplier (may be called something with "ratio" in it) and the CPU voltage which maybe called CPU "VID" or something like that. Increase the CPU multiplier until you encounter instability and then add some CPU voltage to support the higher speed. If you want, take pics of the overclocking section of your bios and attach them with a post. There's a built in forum tool for attaching pics with a post. Click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post and when the advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip tool at the top.

When you begin to add CPU voltage to keep the overclock stable you should stress test with 20 minutes of Prime95 blend test. Before you start the stress test, have HWMonitor open on the desktop. These are two free programs you can download. You want to watch the "core" temps and the "CPU" temps in HWMonitor. If either exceed 65c you may experience temp-related instability and you want to consider cutting the multiplier back .5x and maybe the CPU voltage a little as well.

Back