• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 Black and Asrock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0 Overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New development.

I have just set up my Pi with a temp sensor and have it running and logging in the room with my PC's. According to both HWInfo64 and CPUID HWMonitor my CPU package temps are about 4-5 degrees below ambient..... Must be that Grizzly Kryonaught thermal grease overclocking my little wraith cooler :shock: :D :confused:

Is this likely to be the ****ty mobo causing bad readings? or should I be using the motherboards CPU temps?
The other machines in the room read idle temps above what the Pi says room temp is.

Fx 6300 gives false readings when below 40c after 40 it starts to give more correct values. I had same issue they would jump everywhere from 35 to 45 mostly and then just calm down on low 40-s.
I also had same issue with boot up system would also refuse to shut down properly or restart. It was vcore it was set too low when I increased it by one + and set LCC back to auto everything got to normal

New development.

I have just set up my Pi with a temp sensor and have it running and logging in the room with my PC's. According to both HWInfo64 and CPUID HWMonitor my CPU package temps are about 4-5 degrees below ambient..... Must be that Grizzly Kryonaught thermal grease overclocking my little wraith cooler :shock: :D :confused:

Is this likely to be the ****ty mobo causing bad readings? or should I be using the motherboards CPU temps?
The other machines in the room read idle temps above what the Pi says room temp is.

Fx 6300 gives false readings when below 40c after 40 it starts to give more correct values. I had same issue they would jump everywhere from 35 to 45 mostly and then just calm down on low 40-s.
I also had same issue with boot up system would also refuse to shut down properly or restart. It was vcore it was set too low when I increased it by one + and set LCC back to auto everything got to normal
demien is correct, the Fx processors temp sensors are not accurate until they are under load and above 40c. Logically, if using ambient cooling you cannot be under ambient temperatures. The best case scenario would be if it were at ambient temps.

Thank You

- - - Updated - - -

demien is correct, the Fx processors temp sensors are not accurate until they are under load and above 40c. Logically, if using ambient cooling you cannot be under ambient temperatures. The best case scenario would be if it were at ambient temps.

Yeah I knew about air cooler and standard water cooling not dropping the temps below ambient. I was more worried it was the crappy motherboard.

Is it a percentage or more of an exponential inaccuracy? I would guess it would be more exponential type due to it gradually getting accurate. What's the best way to estimate idle temps with an FX processor?

Literally the same ****.....tried a few cpus nothing....and can nottt find that other bios chip I had that was left alone and not messed with in anyway to rule that out or there's some more in depth stuff wrong lol...fail...that board blowss though lol
killer is being superrrrr though still man, the 8320 is not though....hugeeee hit to allll rendering benches and just about everything...idk try another chip drop in one of those 9590s see what it does....

Idle temperatures are not relevant only if they go above said 40c at least for fx 6300 then you know something is wrong.

I wouldn't suggest going for 9000 series you need good board only to run it at stock plus power draw is monsterus

Idle temperatures are not relevant only if they go above said 40c at least for fx 6300 then you know something is wrong.

the killer will run it man that one fully supports like everythingggg like yours I believe too .and probably what shouldddd of went in it long time ago. more into Bin lotto chips there, just keeping it in check with the kinda ****ter aio pump not bad but not great either and the 240. not much better than what the d14 can do...4.7 should be a breeze to start around. Then I don't know just run it and something to run then consider maybe what the hell modern to actually get..notttt running prime trying to blow it up it up or went through a few psus like on this chip...Glacier ok to muchhh more robust unit it's been and all looks well.

Do not even try to run anything above a 6300 on this board: weak VRM section, no heatsink... If you are lucky, you can maybe get 4.5 on your FX, if it's a golden chip. I'd count more on 4.2 max.

No way to know about temps unless you use a laser prob, and aim well at the CPU, between sockect and heatsink. In an,y case, it doesn't mind at all. Temps that count are load temp.

Edit: if I may, sell your CPU/Mobo/DDR combo and grab an entry level Ryzen. Even a r3 1200 would trounce your current setup for $250 (r3 1200, B350 mobo and 8GB ddr4). With 50 extra, you get a r5 1400 that will serve you well for a few years. Do not throw more money in this platform:the FX serie was already underperforming at launch 4 years ago (Piledriver).

Thank You

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I knew about air cooler and standard water cooling not dropping the temps below ambient. I was more worried it was the crappy motherboard.

Is it a percentage or more of an exponential inaccuracy? I would guess it would be more exponential type due to it gradually getting accurate. What's the best way to estimate idle temps with an FX processor?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about idle temps. Heck my 8350 idles at 6c on my H2O setup. :p You can try using AMD overdrive to get a temp reading it may do a better job.

Do not even try to run anything above a 6300 on this board: weak VRM section, no heatsink... If you are lucky, you can maybe get 4.5 on your FX, if it's a golden chip. I'd count more on 4.2 max.

No way to know about temps unless you use a laser prob, and aim well at the CPU, between sockect and heatsink. In an,y case, it doesn't mind at all. Temps that count are load temp.

Edit: if I may, sell your CPU/Mobo/DDR combo and grab an entry level Ryzen. Even a r3 1200 would trounce your current setup for $250 (r3 1200, B350 mobo and 8GB ddr4). With 50 extra, you get a r5 1400 that will serve you well for a few years. Do not throw more money in this platform:the FX serie was already underperforming at launch 4 years ago (Piledriver).

That's what she said lol...that's it mannn gonna try another chip for the hell of it and that's itttt no more dad builds they must be destroyed lol....still kinda what i'm leaning towards and interested in whatever 350 370 mobo and the 1700 still kinda undecided though, get the am4 mounting for couple of coolers and just transfer over.

That's what she said lol...that's it mannn gonna try another chip for the hell of it and that's itttt no more dad builds they must be destroyed lol....still kinda what i'm leaning towards and interested in whatever 350 370 mobo and the 1700 still kinda undecided though, get the am4 mounting for couple of coolers and just transfer over.

Lol, I could not read the whole thread :D

Lol, I could not read the whole thread :D

Really really don't want to either but whats still working only at the moment lol, and it's this continued autism again of who you want to support and run with or something lol, and the autism intel is doing agian back to back cpu releases and new mobo needed stuff lol, oh it's autism lol. sure some are pisssed lol

An update on my system.

I have managed to get my hands on an Asus Sabertooth 990fx Rev 2.0, 4x 4GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz RAM sticks and a Coolermaster Seidon 120V AIO CPU Cooler.

On the old board I had managed to get all 6 cores on my FX6300 to ~4.2GHz with the Ram at 1600Mhz and it wasn't prime95 stable, dropped a core after about 5 mins but ran with 5 for a while, however it was quite happy to game.

Now I get to start the OC journey all over again. I will start a new thread to chronicle the adventure if it's interesting or if I run into problems, need to ask questions :D

An update on my system.

I have managed to get my hands on an Asus Sabertooth 990fx Rev 2.0, 4x 4GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz RAM sticks and a Coolermaster Seidon 120V AIO CPU Cooler.

On the old board I had managed to get all 6 cores on my FX6300 to ~4.2GHz with the Ram at 1600Mhz and it wasn't prime95 stable, dropped a core after about 5 mins but ran with 5 for a while, however it was quite happy to game.

Now I get to start the OC journey all over again. I will start a new thread to chronicle the adventure if it's interesting or if I run into problems, need to ask questions :D
Much better board to Oc on, just do not try plugging in the numbers from the old board thinking it will be stable on the saberkitty. I'd bet you should be able to do around 4.4 with that cooler.

the seidon is a more than decent AIO.

you can start with 4.6GHz/1.4v and either increase vcore by a notch or two if it crashes, or multi if you are stable.

the cooler should handle the wattage.

a last tip: use a fan blowing fresh air on the vrm section heatsink, and one at the back of the mob, blowing on the socket.

those systems are very sensitive to vrm and socket temp.

Much better board to Oc on, just do not try plugging in the numbers from the old board thinking it will be stable on the saberkitty. I'd bet you should be able to do around 4.4 with that cooler.

Lol, that's basically what I did. I thought I would start at where I knew the cpu would run and see how it behaves. It was happy at 4.2Ghz, 17.5x 240Mhz @ 1.2875V started the RAM at 1600Mhz then bumped it up to 1926Mhz, timings on auto for now. The options in the UEFI bios on the Sabretooth are very different from the old Asrock Bios. Ran Prime blend for over an hour at both ram settings and no probs, max package temp was about 25 Degrees Celsius above ambient.

I think I will start a fresh thread, just to chronicle the steps to see what I can push.

Back