• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx6300 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaosjello

Registered
4.2 on air, 1.4v. all power adjusting settings (quiet n cool, turbo, etc) have been disabled. ran p95 for half hour and it was stable. do the voltages and temps look good? anything too high, need readjusted? or should i just call it a day?

thanks
-alex

MOBO > MSI 970A-G46
CPU & Cooler > FX 6300/Coolermaster 212 EVO
MEMORY > Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
POWER SUPPLY > OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
VIDEO CARD > XFX FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850
HDD > Samsung 840 120GB (OS)/WD Blue 1TB (storage)
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard (Realtek ALC892)
O/S > W7 Ultimate SP1 (SSD)/Ubuntu 12.04 (WD Blue)
CASE > Fractal Design Core 3000
FANS > exhaust: 3 stock Fractal Design (2x140, 1x120)/intake: 3 Coolermaster (1x140, 2x120)

Attachments

• cpuzcpu.jpg
    cpuzcpu.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 396
  • cpuzmem.jpg
    cpuzmem.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 376
  • hwmonitor.jpg
    hwmonitor.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 401
In this forum section we generally consider 2 hours of P95 Blend run with no errors/issues as stable.

The temps look okay and you are at least out to 30 mins, would run the two hours and see if temps stay good and if they do I likely would call it job done. However you might add 0.5 to the cpu multiplier and see if you can get up a little faster. If not then you know where you are that the volts are good and temps look good so have fun.

By the way as far as volts go...each cpu is at least some different from another. Key is passing P95 and temps staying good as they are now.
RGone...ster.

+1 Rgone, tmpin1 limit I keep to 70 so that is pretty close, 39 on the package leaves loads of headroom.

sorry for taking so long to reply. been working doubles and swing shifts the past few days. i did a 6 hour p95 test a few days ago with a 21.5 multiplier and the temps still looked good. will post screenshots when i get home from work

Going to need some more airflow over the socket and VRM of the motherboard, then you'll have some more headroom.

MSI 970A-G46
Usually don't see a 28c difference in temps between the socket and package. Looks like the 4+1 power phase is screaming to try and supply voltage.
Capture.PNG

there is a fan on the side acting as an intake but i think it's positioned too low to blow on the vrm. i also realize now (along with other parts choices i made) that i got a bit of a crap board

You can mount fans directly on the VRM/NB heatsinks, it will help. 50-80mm fans would work.

Yeah, MSI would be near the bottom of our lists for overclocking capable motherboards.

this is what things looked like running p95 for a little over six hours (forgot it was running, oops). i think it would be in my (board's) best interest to back off the overclock some and try lowering the voltage as much as i can. i'm not too pleased with those temps and i don't feel like burning anything up and having to justify buying a new mobo to the wife-type

Attachments

• cpuzcpu43.jpg
    cpuzcpu43.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 330
  • hwmonitor43.jpg
    hwmonitor43.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 336
That TMPIN2 temp is likely the Mosfets or the North Bridge. You could mount a fan blowing dead on the mosfets with spillover air on the NB and likely drop that 75c temp. If it dropped...heck you would be golden and have NO need to downclock at all.
RGone...ster.

Are you looking at the 75c max for TMPIN1? Does it stay that hot under load or is that just a blip spike that needs to be ignored? The reason I ask is because the current temp is only 57c and the package temp is about the same. Those are not dangerous at all.

Are you looking at the 75c max for TMPIN1? Does it stay that hot under load or is that just a blip spike that needs to be ignored? The reason I ask is because the current temp is only 57c and the package temp is about the same. Those are not dangerous at all.

Its been backed down from Prime already, see how far the CPU is from its max temp as well?

this is what things looked like running p95 for a little over six hours (forgot it was running, oops). i think it would be in my (board's) best interest to back off the overclock some and try lowering the voltage as much as i can. i'm not too pleased with those temps and i don't feel like burning anything up and having to justify buying a new mobo to the wife-type
chaosjello, I had two Msi 970a G45 motherboards go pop on me overclocking my 955 be on it. Yes yours is a never board and hopefully they replaced the mosfets and capacitors with better components on the newer board, but I would tread lightly with those temps. Especially if you don't want to explain to the wife what that burning smell is.

That TMPIN2 temp is likely the Mosfets or the North Bridge. You could mount a fan blowing dead on the mosfets with spillover air on the NB and likely drop that 75c temp. If it dropped...heck you would be golden and have NO need to downclock at all.
RGone...ster.

that's going to be the next step

Its been backed down from Prime already, see how far the CPU is from its max temp as well?

under load tmpin1 goes between 68-73, high point was 75. it's just too close to the edge for my taste

chaosjello, I had two Msi 970a G45 motherboards go pop on me overclocking my 955 be on it. Yes yours is a never board and hopefully they replaced the mosfets and capacitors with better components on the newer board, but I would tread lightly with those temps. Especially if you don't want to explain to the wife what that burning smell is.

for the short term i'll be backing down slightly and putting a fan on the mosfets and checking temps again. long term i might just buy a better board. my friend has the same board as myself and he's running the 8320. his (stock settings) temps idle are in the mid 40's and he keeps telling me how much he's going to overclock... sure thing buddy

80mm fan is in the mail (maybe it'll be here before christmas :p) but, as stated earlier, i'm going to reduce the clock and voltage in the meantime

he keeps telling me how much he's going to overclock... sure thing buddy

80mm fan is in the mail (maybe it'll be here before christmas :p) but, as stated earlier, i'm going to reduce the clock and voltage in the meantime

Classic has not tried to overclock an 8 core FX on entry level or mid level motherboard with AiO for cooling or less.

It is just a near fact of life that there will be limits to 8 core FX overclocking. First limit is the motherboard. Second limit is the cooling of the processor. Third limit is cooling for the VRM/NB. And I will throw this one out as it has bit a few. The power supply and internal design for +12V rail power and thus the connector for the CPU can limit one as speed REALLY goes up.
RGone...ster.

reduced clock to 4.0 and voltage to 1.28-ish. prime for an hour, temps are looking better overall but still over a 25 degree difference between package and tmpin1. i was bored earlier and priced some things out and made myself a bit mad. i can switch to an i5 and board for ~$350. maybe next year. who knows. i think i'll get this setup working first ;)

Attachments

• cpuzcpu40.jpg
    cpuzcpu40.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 312
  • hwmonitor40.jpg
    hwmonitor40.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Chaosjello, what is the setup used for and if you live near a microcenter, you can get a heck of a deal on a mobo/cpu combo at micro if you really want to go to Intel. With that said, I own the rig in my signature, an I7 4770k @4.5, I5 2500k @ 4.5 and a 955be @ 4.1. Don't be so quick to give up on the 6300, they are really good cpu's. Yes in single threaded benchmarks the Intels will put up better numbers and in gaming you'll get a few fps more, when playing with 1 gpu. I use these rigs on a daily basis and in normal day to day tasks I feel no tangible difference between the Intels and the Amd Fx. In some cases I feel the Fx may be a tad quicker. If you really want to push that Cpu get a better motherboard sell the G46 and call it a day. Just don't tell the wife. :chair:

Chaos, I've been watching this thread since you first posted and I have to agree with Mandrake. You're not alone with your issues on this motherboard. We have had several posts pertaining to heat with this combo. I'll try and link a few so you might get some insight, but the end results were almost always the same. Either add additional fans to keep her cool or swap the mobo for one more up to the task.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733680

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733852

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737990

Back