• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx6300 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chaosjello, what is the setup used for and if you live near a microcenter, you can get a heck of a deal on a mobo/cpu combo at micro if you really want to go to Intel. With that said, I own the rig in my signature, an I7 4770k @4.5, I5 2500k @ 4.5 and a 955be @ 4.1. Don't be so quick to give up on the 6300, they are really good cpu's. Yes in single threaded benchmarks the Intels will put up better numbers and in gaming you'll get a few fps more, when playing with 1 gpu. I use these rigs on a daily basis and in normal day to day tasks I feel no tangible difference between the Intels and the Amd Fx. In some cases I feel the Fx may be a tad quicker. If you really want to push that Cpu get a better motherboard sell the G46 and call it a day. Just don't tell the wife. :chair:

don't get me wrong, i think the fx6300 is an outstanding chip and with the proper setup, it has a ridiculous cost to performance ratio. i'm going to stick it out with the msi board for now. also, the closest microcenter is over 130 miles from me :bang head otherwise i'd be there all the time

Chaos, I've been watching this thread since you first posted and I have to agree with Mandrake. You're not alone with your issues on this motherboard. We have had several posts pertaining to heat with this combo. I'll try and link a few so you might get some insight, but the end results were almost always the same. Either add additional fans to keep her cool or swap the mobo for one more up to the task.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733680

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733852

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737990

before i bought the board i did do some research and read about the issues. i also read a (very) few success stories. with the budget i had i went with it. knowing what i know now, i wouldn't have taken the gamble that clearly isn't paying off. live and learn :shrug:

in regards to switching to intel, at the absolute earliest it wouldn't be until next march (reason will be explained). i like the challenge of making a good amd chip work on a crap board. hopefully the fan will help with the temps.

also at the moment, i'm trying to get my brother in law to switch from console to our glorious master race. i would be giving him the chip (returned to stock settings) and board (maybe my psu... there might be a graphics upgrade late next year as well) for his birthday in march. he's wanted a gaming computer for a while but has an extremely tight budget (this is about the cheapest (cheaper still if i give him my psu) i can get without sacrificing things he wants). he's the brother i never had and i would like to help him out. so my wanting to go intel after i iron out the kinks with the fx isn't as selfish as it looks at first glance :thup:

read about the issues MSI 970A-G46. i also read a (very) few success stories.

I would suggest that every motherboard company has a board or more than one board that works very well. The chipset maybe part of the problem or the pricepoint the company was trying to meet makes for less than very good. Okay; but not stellar all the time. I worked for a motherboard company for 6.5 years and used everyone of their many motherboards. Had to setup to be able to asssist customers with the companies varied offerings. But you can bet and win that there were boards that stayed in my rigs all the time. The widgets were in the bios or the board was costly enough to hold-up under my style of computering.

In the company sponsored forum, I naturally pushed the super boards. Heck it made sense to me because they were tough and more inspiring to use. When I read that about you seeing very few success stories but decided to go ahead with the MSI 970A-G46, I could see problems in your future and there were and are.

I am good at tweaking a mobo. Really good in fact and the reason I was able to obtain a job with a mobo company until they went out of the DIY mobo industry. Long story but the thing I wanted to say is the aveage user never comes out well in buying into very few success stories. Almost, absolutely never.

I would have to be working for MSI and them wanting me to report on the MSI 970A-G46 as part of my job for me to use that motherboard. I feel pretty strongly that way.

It is an awesome and generous undertaking for you to want to help the brother you never had to come into gaming computers from consoles. But I see a flaw in his upcoming experience. You are here now in an overclocking forum and so to will he be as soon as he sees all the hype about O/Cing and wants to get his feet or even up to his knees wet. Hehehe. And he too will be snagged by that less than stellar performing motherboard.

Guess who the overclocking questions and good/bad experiences are going to come back to? You got it. YOU. You, the one, who got the brother I never had into gaming computers and away from consoles.

I have friends into computering. When they ask me for a suggestion on something new for them...I never suggest something I would not use myself. Never. If they are damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead with a purchase I am suspect about, they know it. But hey it is their money. But a present? Well make it a good one. Your 'brother' will be very impressed and have a feeling that will be forever lasting is my guess.

Don't know how I got off on this track, but maybe being older, I have a better look at the future.

Good luck with the fan.
RGone...

that is an interesting (and appreciated) perspective rgone.

the fan did arrive a couple days ago (damn you holiday shipping!) and helped a bit with the temps. it's on the order of 3-ish degrees, but honestly that might have more to do with ambient. i knew it was going to be a bandaid but i was hoping that it would've been a better one :shrug:

i talked about going intel earlier but i have decided against that. i really do like my chip and (based on a lightning quick look around here and the internet) intel is far and away represented in the enthusiast community. maybe i'll spend the money for the cpu on a new gpu haha (r9 prices need to come down big time)

so then my extraordinarily helpful compatriots, what is a good replacement board? something with a 990fx chipset and (preferably) under $175. i read good and bad things about all of them and would like to hear opinions

I run my 6300 over 5.0 on a sabertooth, the m5a97 is a little weak for that chip.
trents is useing the m5a99x evo and seems happy with it.

1. Asus 990Fx sabertooth (non-Gen3)

2. ASROCK 990FX Extreme9

3. GIGABYTE 990FX UD7

4. " -UD5

Edit: edited boards

Last edited:
they're all sold out on newegg :( before anyone tells me i can get it elsewhere (and cheaper), i know. i buy all my stuff from newegg because i have a line of credit through them.

the asrock and ud7 say out of stock, so they will probably be restocked (neat, huh?) but the sabertooth just says sold out... hopefully not forever. boy would that make me sad. also wouldn't make much sense not to restock a popular board.

i could always spend a bunch more money and get a crosshair v. is it worth the extra money?

Look into the New ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty. Very much like the Extreme9 but newer. Not sure on pricing or availability, but looks great on paper.

Edit: Xmas did just pass so it's not completely surprising they're sold out. If it's not urgent I would just hang tight for a bit if you prefer Newegg.

Last edited:
blaylock is leading in the right direction.
I buy at places for MY reasons you buy where you like.

chv, I don't think it's woth the money for a 6300.
the asrock fattality is a sweet board.

it's been a long time coming but i finally got a new board. after several setbacks and some wire routing, the rig is up and running again. i got a sabertooth rev 2.0

first question to start with, is this a normal temp reading for "tmpin2"? it appears to be maxed out, but to my knowledge, my computer is still fairly cold (just booted it up in the middle of winter :p). the cpu fan rpm appears low as well. never noticed the "powers" section under the processor before. 12v reading isn't 12v which concerns me a tiny bit considering i just put a new psu in :eh?:

also, the uefi is a bit different than my previous msi board (far more in depth control it seems). any helpful hints of what exactly to turn off, raise up, etc, would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• hwmonitorasus.jpg
    hwmonitorasus.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 74
sorry for double post. cpu temp just went nuts for some reason. no idea why

Attachments

• hwmonitorasus2.jpg
    hwmonitorasus2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 74
TMPIN2 is a completely spurious temp. Not to be paid attention to.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

all disabled. this is after 30 minutes in p95. is "mainboard" temp the northbridge or the vrm? or something else? new board = simple questions :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cpuzcpustock.jpg
    cpuzcpustock.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 70
  • cpuzmemstock.jpg
    cpuzmemstock.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 70
  • cpuzspdstock.jpg
    cpuzspdstock.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 68
  • hwmonitorstock.jpg
    hwmonitorstock.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 68
main board is the board and will rarely rise much.

the cpu line is the cpu socket temp, here we limit that to 72c and consider it the vrm.
the 12v line can read all over the place as long as it within 10% of 12 ignore it.

package temp is the processor we limit it to 62c here.

Chaos that 212 EVO is doing a fantastic job keeping that FX6300 nice and cool. Looks like your stock run is giving you tons of headroom which is great news. The first 2 things I would iron out before you start your overclock is...

1. It looks like you still have Cool and Quiet enabled. Note the Multi in CPU-Z = 17.5(7-20.5). Cool and Quiet should be disabled.

2. I would tighten up the timings on your ram to match the SPD tab = 8-8-8-24-34-2T. This will help eliminate potential ram instability.

Will you be overclocking with the Multi only or with the FSB + Multi?

main board is the board and will rarely rise much.

the cpu line is the cpu socket temp, here we limit that to 72c and consider it the vrm.
the 12v line can read all over the place as long as it within 10% of 12 ignore it.

package temp is the processor we limit it to 62c here.

good info to have, thanks

Chaos that 212 EVO is doing a fantastic job keeping that FX6300 nice and cool. Looks like your stock run is giving you tons of headroom which is great news. The first 2 things I would iron out before you start your overclock is...

1. It looks like you still have Cool and Quiet enabled. Note the Multi in CPU-Z = 17.5(7-20.5). Cool and Quiet should be disabled.

2. I would tighten up the timings on your ram to match the SPD tab = 8-8-8-24-34-2T. This will help eliminate potential ram instability.

Will you be overclocking with the Multi only or with the FSB + Multi?

looking at the online mb manual (at work :(), i think i missed a power saving feature. i will correct that when i get home. adjusting the ram will take a second, no problem there. correct me if i'm wrong, but is the only reason of doing fsb and multi together is so you don't run out of multiplier?

correct me if i'm wrong, but is the only reason of doing fsb and multi together is so you don't run out of multiplier?

Not so sure it still does with Vishera cpus but the earlier Bulldozer cpus seemed to be able to reach the "same" cpu speed with a "red hair" less Vcore by using a combination of FSB and Multiplier to reach the same speed. Not a lot of Vcore less but some it was seemed. I have not checked to see if such still holds true or not, but I usually run at 235x19.5, so that I can use the FSB to push the ram into overclocked mode. I always run my G Skill good AMD stuff overclocked. FSB does it for me.
RGone...

Not so sure it still does with Vishera cpus but the earlier Bulldozer cpus seemed to be able to reach the "same" cpu speed with a "red hair" less Vcore by using a combination of FSB and Multiplier to reach the same speed. Not a lot of Vcore less but some it was seemed. I have not checked to see if such still holds true or not, but I usually run at 235x19.5, so that I can use the FSB to push the ram into overclocked mode. I always run my G Skill good AMD stuff overclocked. FSB does it for me.
RGone...

huh... learning all kinds of neat stuff here. retimed the ram and i think i got all the power save features. i didn't touch anything else but my ht link speed has dropped by (what seems like) a large amount

Attachments

• cpuzcpustocknopowersave.jpg
    cpuzcpustocknopowersave.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 48
  • cpuzmemtight.jpg
    cpuzmemtight.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 48
Back