• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE G.Skill Announces MD2 Mid-Tower Chassis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Capture-Cropped-5.jpg
Popular memory maker GSkill is dipping its toes in the PC case market and announced the MD2 mid-tower chassis. Available in black or white, the MD2 features a tempered side panel, front panel ARGB lighting, and plenty of cooling options. GSkill didn't mention a price or when these would be on the market. Stay tuned for future information from G.Skill. For more details, please see G.Skill's official press release below.
Click here to read more!

Same here. The only concern I have with this case (without physically reviewing it) is airflow. That solid front panel only has intake mesh on the right side. In my experience, this is enough for idle operation, but once you apply a heavy load the chassis will begin starving for cool air.

Note: I have not reviewed this case so my above comment is simply an observational opinion.

Somehow I doubt it. Their PC cases don't sell well and don't have good reviews, and they are not really pushing to release many new products other than RAM. The main problem that people mention is the airflow.
Knowing G.Skill, they will work to improve it so we can count on something new and better in some time, but mATX isn't really popular. Most users pick compact ATX cases for mATX motherboards as they are nearly as large as mATX cases.

I get that it's ugly to some people, but mesh / vented front panels or side intakes are the way to go, especially for air cooling. In my experience those small gaps are not enough to do anything, and pulling air through the PSU shroud and the inevitable tangle of wires (even with modular) is not ideal.

I get that it's ugly to some people, but mesh / vented front panels or side intakes are the way to go, especially for air cooling. In my experience those small gaps are not enough to do anything, and pulling air through the PSU shroud and the inevitable tangle of wires (even with modular) is not ideal.
Jonsbo, Lian-Li (at least in some products), and some other brands solved it in another way, and their cases look much better. They simply used bottom-to-top airflow, and even with solid front and glass side panels, these cases are recommended for passive CPU cooling by Noctua.
With so many failed designs from most available brands, I just don't get they are testing these products in the first place. Popular brands like Phanteks or NZXT are redesigning their old products adding front mesh or other things. It took them 3 years+ of users' complaints to react. The list of brands is much longer.

I agree. Alot of the cases I've seen over time has had subtle changes (upgrades) yet the airflow of these cases are horrible, not to mention down right fugly. There are some cases that are just gorgeous and airflow design is top notch.

I can't believe someone is asking $170 for this hunk of steel. I still have one with a side vent hacked into the panel and the van grilles snipped out and replaced with wire ones. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325384276304

But I remember when that was a "good case." When did case designers decide that a solid vented front panel was ugly. I definitely get the appeal of the "aquarium case" with a glass front panel, in exchange for blocking the airflow you get to see inside the PC. On the other hand, I have no idea why people think a solid piece of plastic is aesthetically superior to mesh or vents.

Last edited:
My Haswell system (in sig) is in the beige version of that Antec case. :) Four 80mm 3 wire fans - state-of-the-art baby!

what's funny is he claims it is aluminum but dude that is clearly steel. the look of the metal is completely different, that dude is high for the price.

I'm pretty sure they never made an aluminum chieftech dragon. I can confirm that the one sitting in my garage is heavy steel.

Back