• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) OC Report

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm now that you mention it, take a look at these shots and maybe someone can help explain them
ram.JPG

does the SPD page tell me what my ram is suppose to run at and the memory page tell me what it is running at. right now i have it set to manual in the bios from when i had it running it unsynced at 333mhz, and i just changed it back to 400mhz and the timeings are still set to 3-4-4-8 manualy. i guess i will try to set it to auto and see what happens. And these shots were taken at 333mhz, hence why the memory is running at 225 and CPU at 275

UPDATE: ok i tried Automatic ram settings and it put the ram divider to 266mhz, so then instead i tried 250x9 at 400 divider with timeings 3-5-5-10 and it blue screened just after entering windows, which is what happens every other time i try to boot up at 250 with synced ram.

Last edited:
SPD is showing the details of the ram you have and its rated speed at stock (1:1).

The memory tab is showing what your ram is actually running at.

Dominick, ive got a few questions for you if you dont mind. Id like to start by asking what settings you are using for your ram in the bios. Im pretty new with DFI and am not sure what most of them mean or do. So id love any help you could give me. I set my twcl to 1 like you and put my Trc at 15. By doing that I was able to pass Memtest86 test #5 5 times with no errors. I tried for 275 at the same settings but no luck.(only had 2 errors) Im sure with a little more tweaking I might be able to do it. One thing I find wierd is that even though Memtest passes I still cannot boot into Windows at 270x9. I set my HTT multi to 2.5x so im definatly not going over there. (ive been using 2.6v since thats where people seem to have the most luck)

The highest ive tried to boot into Windows is 265, here is a screen shot:
untitled7dk.jpg

Ink,
What is your Drive Strength, Data Drive Strength (DS/DDS) set at? Weak or Normal? Take a look at my screenshot of A64Tweaker. It has all of my current settings. My settings are ultra conservative and for stability, nothing more. Like I said in my initial post, with automatic settings and manually setting 3-4-4-8 in the bios I was able to boot up into Windows with full stability @ 282mhz. Another thing to remember, I am using a Toledo core x2 4800+ processor with a great memory controller that has no problems handling my ram at high mhz. There is always a chance that your actual memory controller is having problems with it.

gskill282.JPG

For the users questioning the SPD tables in CPU-Z, dont worry about the numbers. You need to manually set your timings to 3-4-4-8 in the bios. Its no wonder some of you were getting problems booting into Windows. :p

Another thing, for the two guys having issues: What is the production number on your modules? 0603? To find this number, look at the first four digits of your serial number either on the sticks or on the packaging.

Cow Hunter, download A64Tweaker and post up a screenie of your current ram timings. I want to see how your numbers look. You are definitely doing something wrong. If your sticks will not even boot at 250 mhz, rated timings and voltage I would definitely RMA them. But after reading your post it looks like you are simply doing something wrong. Maybe a small setting in the bios is incorrect.

Dom

Last edited:
Cow Hunter said:
A65tweaker.JPG

again this is at 275mhz with divider set to 333

Cow hunter,
Try running your ram at 200 mhz 1:1 (no divider) and clocking your FSB/HTT to 280 mhz using a 6X or 7X multiplier on your CPU. Get your CPU out of the equation and see if your ram is capable of 280 mhz. If this does not work, try using my "extremely relaxed" A64Tweaker settings in your bios and let me know what happens. I think you should have 280+ mhz out of your sticks. Keep working at it bro.

Dom

Does A64 Tweaker automatically pick up the RAM timings and stuff from the computer when you run it? I tried it last night and it was spitting out some crazy settings... I'll take a screenshot tonight. I wasn't able to do much last night.

Luftwaffle said:
Does A64 Tweaker automatically pick up the RAM timings and stuff from the computer when you run it? I tried it last night and it was spitting out some crazy settings... I'll take a screenshot tonight. I wasn't able to do much last night.

Yes,
A64 Tweaker should automatically take all of your bios settings and display them fluidly on the windows xp desktop.

Dom

DS and DDS are probably both set to normal. Maybe this s754 just can't handle those speeds. I suppose ill have to wait till I get my new rig before I can see what this memory can really do. Thanks for you help.

So-So reults...

So.... i finally got these... the UPS man just left my babies on the front porch :rolleyes:

anyway... after testing them out a bit... i think i've hit a wall on my MB... the reason i say this is... i can run stock timings and voltage from 250mhz up to 269mhz... and everything runs peachy... i can run all my games... (super pi 32m running now) ...

but as soon as i cross 270mhz... the comp freezes something nasty in memtest... no errors... just freezes... and usually 2-3% into the 1st test... increasing voltage doesnt help... (i know this stuff likes low volts) 2.7 and 2.8 dont help the stuation any... i was already stuck at 275mhz @ 5:4... and now it seems at 269mhz @ 1:1...

since i have a i875p i don't have the mem options u (a64) guys have... but with the bit of tweaking i can do (i875p tweaker) i got some nice results out of it...

i have another MB i could test it on... but i don't think it'd matter.. as the MB is a Shuttle with limited vcore (limited vdimm doesnt matter now that i got these bad boys :cool: ) and i don't think i could get up to 270mhz fsb anyway ... so i guess i've just gotta sit on these sticks till i go a64...

(btw... do have an 80mm fan over these... even @ 2.6v they get toasty without a fan)

Edit : even if i cant get 275 1:1 on this old board... the jump from 1gb to 2gb makes this worth it also...

Edit2 : Super Pi32m Stable @ 269 3-4-4-8 2.6v w00t

Last edited:
I'm recently picked up those GSkills for my new build, I am just starting to OC them. I got mine from Newegg just like you Dom..they also have the 603 serial.
So far I have gotten to 260 stable. working on 265 right now. I booted into windows at 265, but PI showed errors, and I also got memtest errors. I just found this post, so tonight I will check those timings you posted, Dom, and see what I can do.

CPU: AMD OPTERON 170 (currently clocked at 265x8 1.375V)
MB: DFI NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT
RAM: GSkill PC4000 HZ 2.6v (3-4-4-8)
GRAPHICS: EVGA 7900GT CO (newegg)
Swiftech WaterCooling on cpu, gpu, chipset

i tried setting my timings and everything similar to yours Dom with A64 tweaker and choosing the option apply settings at startup, but it didnt seem to work, and unless i am not looking hard enough the asus board doesnt have much more than the basic timing settings found mostly on the left half of A64 tweaker. i lowered my HT to 3x and CPU multiplier to 6x and i still failed Memtest at 250mhz

also whats up with the Refresh Rate (Tref) being 100mhz, thats one of the settings i couldnt get to stick properly. incase you havent noticed this is my first time using A64 Tweaker, and i never really went far past adjusting the 4 main timings before

ramtiming.JPG

inkfx said:
DS and DDS are probably both set to normal. Maybe this s754 just can't handle those speeds. I suppose ill have to wait till I get my new rig before I can see what this memory can really do. Thanks for you help.

Ink,
I am banking on the s754 having a lot to do with your OC'ing issues. I am almost certain that these new 0603's are clocking 270 to 280+. Keep me posted and send me a PM when you get your new rig up and running. I am curious to see what a motherboard/cpu swap will do.

Eric003,
265 is a great start. Sometimes these motherboards are just very finicky with ram settings. Just a quick example on another set of sticks that I tested. With my Ultra-D and the Team Apollo 2X512 TCCD: The difference between a DS/DDS of 5/3 and 7/3 was complete superpi32m and memtest stability vs. an almost immediate failure of superpi and over a thousand errors. That is just one example of how finicky motherboards and ram can be sometimes. Simply changing my Drive Strength to 7 vs. 5 made a huge difference. With highly tweaked settings I was able to clock those TCCD sticks to 315mhz and boot into windows with spi32m and dual prime stability :p but thats another story. Keep working and make sure you continue to post your results in here.

Cow Hunter,
It seems as though you may have a bad set of sticks. This stuff happens every once in a while. First I would give GSkill Tech Support a call and see what they have to say. If nothing pans out then I would send the sticks back under RMA and make sure to state "They will not run at the rated speed, timings, and voltage: DDR500, 3-4-4-8, 2.6v" Based on that last quote, you should be able to get a replacement quick from any of the vendors or the manufacturer. I would prefer going through the retailer because chances are they will expedite a replacement much faster than a manufacturer.

Regards,
Dom

yeah i will just have to RMA it through newegg this weekend when i can get my hands on my old ram to use in the meantime.

Edit: it turned out to be my motherboard, not the ram, so dont let my posts stop you from buying this ram :p

Last edited:
ok, i got 270 :D (took quite a bit of work though...lol, for giggles, check this post's time stamp, with my last post's time stamp)

Anyway, stable in memtest...trying PI right now... will prime over night i think..
*One thing I noticed, is that even at 2.6V, ram gets hot to touch... So I put a 72mm(?) maybe its an 80mm :shrug: idk blowing over ram, now its only warm to touch :cool:

Attachments

• 270_stable.JPG
    270_stable.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 502
Here is a link that I found over at DFI Street. THIS LINK IS GREAT! :D

it explains all the crazy memory settings for DFI NF4 mBoards! This link really helped me to understand the what i was doing when tweaking the settings..knowing which was a tighter timing, and which one is a looser timing and better for increased Freq headroom. It very much led to my succesful 270 posted above :D

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203179&postcount=4

OK.... got mine in the mail today...... time to test these out and see if I can have the same kind of luck as Dom. :D

HousERaT said:
OK.... got mine in the mail today...... time to test these out and see if I can have the same kind of luck as Dom. :D

Awesome. Results?
I sure hope you got in this deal before the price increase. Keep us posted and go get that 280+ mhz.. :)

Dom

Back