• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill Flare X Overclocking for Newbies :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f4k3

Registered
Hello there!

First of all i have to say that i am absolutely new to this stuff. The last PC i built was 15 years ago and after this computer i only bought laptops. I finally started building my own System again after month of research and after gettiing into the whole PC-Building thingy again :) So please forgive me if my questions are very newbie like, but i really dont wanna break my system :)

Before i describe the Problem here are the relevant Specs for this Problem:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Memory: F4-3200C14D-16GFX

As you see i have the F4-3200C14D-16GFX Memory(Flare X). I realized after installing Windows 10 and CPU-Z that the Memory only ran on around 900 MHZ, means DDR4-1800. I went to the Bios and changed the memory to 3200 Mhz, which worked fine! Now CPU-Z shows me a speed of 1600 Mhz. But i see that the CAS latencies are totally off. The Memory is supposed to have timings of 14-14-14-34, but CPU-Z shows me this latency

cpu-z.jpg

My first questions is, was it correct of my just to change the Memory speed to 3200Mhz or can this have any consequences regarding the Stability or the Temperature?

My second question is, what do i generally have to do to get the speed and the CAS Latencies right? I really dont wanna break anything and i am really cautious since this is a new system.

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you very much in advance! :)

Go in the BIOS and enter the values manually. Thaiphoon burner will give you a pretty comprehensive list of the relevant timings for the XMP profile. http://www.softnology.biz/files.html Let the motherboard select the rest and fire it up. If that doesn't do it (and it should), come back for help. The Samsung B dies should run at 3200 MHz on almost any board.

Simply enable XMP/DOCP profile in BIOS and it should use correct timings and voltages. I guess that only memory clock was changed and everything else was at auto.

Thank you both for your fast answers! After i checked the BIOS i found the DOCP option that Woomack mentioned and after activating it everything runs perfectly fine :) I looked up the temps and they are at around 37 degrees which should be fine also. Thank you very much :)

Okay now i just produced another Problem. I realized that my memory is running in single channel and then i plugged one of the Memory Sticks into another socket. After that i always get an error when DOCP is activated on the bootscreen which looks like this:

17106.jpg

When turn DOCP off everything is back to normal but of course the speed and the CAS timings do not fit anymore. But now the memory runs in dual channel as i wanted it to. What is this error and what can i do? Thank you very much!

The ram sticks should be in the 2nd and 4th slot away from the cpu socket. If they are not in these slots try them there and see what happens. If you are still having problems try resetting the bios and then re-enable DOCP and see if it works.

The ram sticks should be in the 2nd and 4th slot away from the cpu socket. If they are not in these slots try them there and see what happens. If you are still having problems try resetting the bios and then re-enable DOCP and see if it works.

This^^

@Lochekey That worked!!! I am absolutely confused right now :D Why did this work? What is the difference between slot 1,3 and 2,4? Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it! :)

That's the way it's designed, it tells you in the manual where to put the sticks for all combinations

Hey guys,

I know this post is a few months old but I came across it as I was searching for answers on Google. I recently have just finished my first build with a Ryzen 2700x on an ROG Strix X470 F mobo and a set of this RAM. My question was is that with the RAM settings in BIOS set to 3200 I am seeing in CPU-Z a similar number as far as the MHz on each stick is concerned as the above picture. Instead of showing 1600mhz for each stick I see the exact same number of 1596.2 MHz. Now my timings are fine and what they should be etc I am still noob to all this so my question being that is that number correct? Or should it be at exactly 1600mhz in CPU-Z? Again, sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance! :salute:

Its's fine. A few MHz is well within the tolerances of RAM speeds/timings. Mine runs between 1864 MHz and 1867 MHz. It's just what the motherboard is happy with. It's certainly close enough to claim 3200 MHz RAM speed. Every RAM stick/set has it's own "personality" along with every motherboard/RAM combo being unique. :thup:

Its's fine. A few MHz is well within the tolerances of RAM speeds/timings. Mine runs between 1864 MHz and 1867 MHz. It's just what the motherboard is happy with. It's certainly close enough to claim 3200 MHz RAM speed. Every RAM stick/set has it's own "personality" along with every motherboard/RAM combo being unique. :thup:

Ok great! Glad to hear it and equally glad I found this post and forum 😀 Will stick that in the onboard knowledge bank for next time! Thanks very much for taking the time to respond and so quickly, it is much appreciated :thup: 🍻🍻🍻

Thanks again and take care!

Technical reasons for 'happy' and 'personality' are as follows...

it is has to do with the reference clock naturally fluctuating to minimize EMI. It's called spread spectrum and is supposed to be there. It's not about being happy or having a personality. :)

Last edited:
There's also another reason this is so prevalent on AM4 motherboards. You'll notice the BCLK very seldom sits at 100. Unlike the new Intel boards (Z170 and up) Ryzen doesn't have a built-in counter to measure the BCLK speed instead it relies on algorithms to do this. This is the root of the RTC issue in Win8 and above and why for many benchmarks (without timer verification like 3D/PCMark) only Win7 is allowed as it has a timer for the BCLK.

Last edited:
Technical reasons for 'happy' and 'personality' are as follows...

it is has to do with the reference clock naturally fluctuating to minimize EMI. It's called spread spectrum and is supposed to be there. It's not about being happy or having a personality. :)

I was kinda hoping everyone got the whole metaphor thing. LOL

Back