• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G. Skill Reliability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TexasOC

Just picked up a 2GB (2x1GB) DDR kit of G. Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231032

I did a quick test with memtest86 and all looked well. PC ran for a few hours and Prime95 bombed out. Went back and ran memtest again and sure enough, one of the two modules has a hard failure -- even at 133MHz. Fails test 2 almost immediately. They are rated 2-3-2-5 @ 200MHz.

I now get to go through the Newegg return hassle (no cross shipping) :mad: . Should I have them replace it, or should I look elsewhere? Pretty hard to beat for $200.

TIA
-Mike

I have had good luck with them thus far and I know a few others that have also personally, these issues can happen with any ram you buy.

Maybe you got a bad batch? I've ran MemTest86 on my modules and they are yet to show an error. Replace once and if those are bad then dump them and search for another set.

TexasOC said:
Just picked up a 2GB (2x1GB) DDR kit of G. Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231032

I did a quick test with memtest86 and all looked well. PC ran for a few hours and Prime95 bombed out. Went back and ran memtest again and sure enough, one of the two modules has a hard failure -- even at 133MHz. Fails test 2 almost immediately. They are rated 2-3-2-5 @ 200MHz.

I now get to go through the Newegg return hassle (no cross shipping) :mad: . Should I have them replace it, or should I look elsewhere? Pretty hard to beat for $200.

TIA
-Mike
if not too late for RMA, you could get Gskill 2x1g DDR500 for the same price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

Gskill is up there with Mushkin and OCZ for customer support and building reliable products

Also I cant remember but I think the tests to be worried about are 5, 6 and 7 for memory but i cant remember that I think would be a system problem but try memtest in windows to help figure that out.

I just ordered the same ZX kit from the Egg yesterday, should be here by Thursday or Friday. I hope mine are O.K. I'll report on how they turn out. I went with the ZX DDR400 over the HZ DDR 500 because I want the tight 2-3-2-5 timings at 200MHz guarenteed (I usually run my overclock on a divider anyway). I hope the mysery involved on which chips this RAM usex aren't because they switch around on what GSkill gets a good deal on. I got screwed on my last pair of Corsair XMS with them sending out good stuff to get good reviews, then pulling the ol' swithcheroo and throwing some value RAM grade chips on them. That's the thing I'm worried about, I like when the company tells you outright what chips they are using not some kind of secret. But the price was great so I figured I'd take a gamble. :shrug:

I just ordered some G.Skill as well, I'm curious to know how their customer support is, maybe they will cross ship to you?

Killaapp said:
I just ordered some G.Skill as well, I'm curious to know how their customer support is, maybe they will cross ship to you?

They have a tech answering questions over at http://xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=185, which is good. But this is where I've found the dodging of the question, "What chips do these use?" :rolleyes: Why is it that big of a deal unless there's something to hide?

i just ordered the ddr500s tonight.........and plan to sell my cosairs. dont scare me =)

kiljaden5 said:
I just got those today, won't even load windows at 200mhz.. But then again I'm not sure if its the memory or my processor's memory controller (it had issues with the previous ram I used too, but at least that one was able to do 220)
I read somewhere that opteron hate lower multi than stock. Also dont need that much of vcore.
It could be your mobo or bios not compatible w/ opteron.
use the stock multi and see if works @ DDR500.
Edit:Also you might want to try 3-3-3-7
Someone here said that's what auto'ed to.

ochungry said:
if not too late for RMA, you could get Gskill 2x1g DDR500 for the same price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

Its not too late, I got them yesterday. I'm running them with a P4 506 @4GHZ, so that means a FSB of 200MHz -- no real need for DDR500 and I want the low latency 2-3-2-5 the other product offers.

Looks like by the opinions here that I should have newegg replace the set I have.

BTW, it's not the MB or bios, I was able to isolate it down to the offending stick. My older Patriot 256MB sticks work just fine. The failing G. Skill stick fails at stock, SPD timings at 166MHz, let alone 200MHz.

I'm impressed, I posted this question last night about 10PM, an 6AM this morning there are several responses.

Thanks much!
-Mike

JonEapples said:
They have a tech answering questions over at http://xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=185, which is good. But this is where I've found the dodging of the question, "What chips do these use?" :rolleyes: Why is it that big of a deal unless there's something to hide?

Because they are under contract not to say what chips they are using.. else it may or may not steer people from buying their product. If everyone suddenly wants BH-5 and they are using something else and they make it known, then no one wants their memory and they lose money. You cannot fault them for that.

I have one of their 2GB kits and I beat the crap out of it and it runs like a champ.

I just brought the DDR 500 GSkill Kit i would say they are great, the only thing i didnt like is mine are only running at 210 3-3-3-7

Please, All you people ordering those G.skills "ZX" and the PC4000 report back your maximum overclocks. I'm sure there is a line of people waiting to know how they do. Im the first in line wanting to know. Personally, I'm looking at the "HX" series first but I've only seen 1 really good report on them hitting 250.

The egg got a new batch of these sticks, I have seen some people with the previous batch get over 300!!! I am wanting to know if the new batch is overclocking as good as the previous batch. I will be watching you..lol :beer:

kiljaden5 said:
so they don't run stock at 250 3-4-4-8??
they defaulted to 3-3-3-7 and 210, if i can figure out how to change them to 3-4-4-8 im pretty sure they will do the 250. I'm not very familiar with my bios and im having a hard time finding were to tweak my settings for my memory.

Imay have to upgrade my bios, hope theres a windows based upgrader for that so i can get these babys running the way id like them to.

..edit.. my motherboard might not be the best for OCing so 250 will probaby be the max i get out of these.

Back