• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newly built computer cpu issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bowdon

Registered
Hi all,

I'm quite noob about the management of cpu's and cooling etc. I recently built my first computer and have run in to stability problems.

Here is my stats of the new computer:

Code:
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
GPU: Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Green Internal Hard Drive
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750W PSU
RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Case: Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case

I mainly built the computer to play diablo 3, and I've also been playing some crusader kings 2 recently, not a specifically heavy game on resources, but after a while the PC would freeze and either the monitor would go blank and the pc would reboot or the pc would freeze whatever was on the screen.

I decided to do some diagnostic tests. First I used memtest86+ on the ram and all came back clear. I also used furmark on the gpu and that past the test well. Then I use prime95 and hit a problem.

I used it along side HWMonitor to measure my temps on the cpu cores. The temps idle have been around 35 C. When I did the blend test I noticed when one of the cores hit 60 C the pc would freeze. Mouse wouldnt move and I ended up having to hard shutdown/reboot.

I have ran the blend test twice and the second time I did it I purposely moved the mouse arrow around all the time until saw it freeze and again it was 60 C.

I havent done any overclocking. I didnt think the system would become unstable until 80 C. So I'm not sure why its freezing. I'm guessing this is the source of my problems. But what do I do now? Anyone have any ideas? Bare in mind I'm a noobie at this hardware stuff.

Thanks for any help guys.

Welcome...

Blend tests both RAM and CPU... run Small FFT.

60C should be fine for that system.

Try adding .05v and see if it doesnt freeze.

Welcome...

Blend tests both RAM and CPU... run Small FFT.

60C should be fine for that system.

Try adding .05v and see if it doesnt freeze.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply :)

When you say 'Try adding .05v' where do you mean me to add it to?

Sorry I'm such a noob at this :confused:

Sorry... Vcore.. the voltage for the CPU. This would be found somewhere in your bios.

I looked on the asus bios program at the settings and i cant find vcore anywhere.. only place I see vcore mentioned is on the hwmonitor program.

I ran the Small FFT test in prime95 and it seemed to work ok. I did 10 tests and it seemed to settle in the lower 70s C.

Also, while looking around in the bios I did notice that the ram memory timings were 11-11-11-28 in one column marked JEDEC while in the 2nd column marked XMP 1, I presume my other ram stick, lists 9-9-9-24. The listed timings for the Ram is 9-9-9-24. Not sure if thats significant? Would these 2 different set of timings cause memory problems and make the blend test fail?

CPU voltage is what it is called in your bios (Under Ai Suite). If small ran OK, then its likely a ram issue.

Please post screenshots of CPUz... first tab, Memory tab, and SPD tab please. Attach it to the forum instead of 3rd party host.

CPU voltage is what it is called in your bios (Under Ai Suite). If small ran OK, then its likely a ram issue.

Please post screenshots of CPUz... first tab, Memory tab, and SPD tab please. Attach it to the forum instead of 3rd party host.

Here is the images.. CPU, Memory and SPD - Slot 2 and 4 are what I have my ram in.

Attachments

• CPUZ1-CPU.JPG
    CPUZ1-CPU.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 54
  • CPUZ1-MEMORY.JPG
    CPUZ1-MEMORY.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 50
  • CPUZ1-SPD-SLOT2.JPG
    CPUZ1-SPD-SLOT2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 50
  • CPUZ1-SPD-SLOT4.JPG
    CPUZ1-SPD-SLOT4.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 50
To get your memory to its proper timings, you can do two things:

1. Set the memory to the XMP1 profile.
2. Manually set it.

As far as it frezzing, enable LLC as you may have vdroop, or raise the voltage of the CPU .05 and see if that helps.

To get your memory to its proper timings, you can do two things:

1. Set the memory to the XMP1 profile.
2. Manually set it.

As far as it frezzing, enable LLC as you may have vdroop, or raise the voltage of the CPU .05 and see if that helps.

I haven't changed things yet but I looked around and noticed a few things.

I'm going to set the memory manually. I assume I have to go in to the DRAM Timng Control section, currently its 11-11-11-28 . Also I assume that DRAM voltage is where I have to type in the voltage of the RAM? The reason I ask is because my ram is listed at 1.5v but in this setting in the bios its set to 1.659v.

I noticed the CPU voltage at 1.128v .. it seems to change slightly too.. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned for me to drop .05 ?

As for the LLC, I cant find that option on there :confused:

Update: I've found the option for LLC in the bios. Its actually listed in sections
The P8Z68-V Pro has five levels of load-line calibration: 0% (Regular), 25% (Medium), 50% (High), 75% (Ultra High), and 100% (Extreme).
I found that on a website here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...o-z68-sandy-bridge-motherboard-review-19.html . I'm assuming it'll be on regular. If so shall I boost it up to medium?

Last edited:
Like ED suggested, just set Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP matching the DDR3-1600 profile for your RAM. Then open CPU-Z to the Memory tab and re-check the timings; they should be set to 9-9-9-25-2T w/ XMP enabled.

Hi redduc900,

Well I decided to manually alter the settings for the DRAM timings control and changed it from auto to 9-9-9-24 (on auto it was 11-11-11-28) and dropped the dropped the DRAM voltage from 1.659v to the advertised voltage which is 1.5v and I did a short blend test in prime95 to see if it would freeze after 60C and it didnt! :)

Here's the updated CPU memory tab. I noticed the only setting I didnt change was the 1T to 2T. I'll do that when I next boot in.

Hoping this solved my problems. When I was altering the voltage of the ram down it was actually in a raised state.. so I could see how it might become unstable for the system when pushed, unless other settings werent changed to compensate.

Attachments

• CPUZ1-MEMORY2.JPG
    CPUZ1-MEMORY2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 45
Back