• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE G.Skill TridentX 8GB DDR3-2933 Memory Kit Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
woulda been nice to see an 1866 in there for comparison... afaik everything over 1866 is pretty much pointless

woulda been nice to see an 1600 in there for comparison... afaik everything over 1600 is pretty much pointless

Fixed.

But yeah, why is high MHZ RAM like this so pointless?

What makes it that way, that increasing system memory clocks yields such low performance gains?

It takes much more time to compute things than it takes to get the data to compute from RAM.
Hence, RAM is not the bottleneck.
Hence, Widening the RAM pathway doesn't do much.

It takes much more time to compute things than it takes to get the data to compute from RAM.
Hence, RAM is not the bottleneck.
Hence, Widening the RAM pathway doesn't do much.

So CPUs are the bottleneck, gotcha.

Why is memory tech so far ahead of everything else? Like those tiny 64GB micro SD cards... Stuff is amazing.

So CPUs are the bottleneck, gotcha.

Why is memory tech so far ahead of everything else? Like those tiny 64GB micro SD cards... Stuff is amazing.

It's a matter of complexity. Storing data on a chip is a much easier problem to solve as opposed to making a fully functioning processing unit

It's a matter of complexity. Storing data on a chip is a much easier problem to solve as opposed to making a fully functioning processing unit

To an extent, the bigger the CPU cache the less memory speed matters.
We have quite large caches now, so memory doesn't matter much.
If you could disable the L3 cache suddenly memory would matter a lot more.
This could actually be tested to an extent, Athlon II quad core vs PhII quad core, especially an early AthII that was simply a PhII with disabled L3.
Sadly, I don't have one.

To see full performance of most 2600+ kits on haswell you need 5GHz+ CPU if not higher and even then real daily performance won't change much. More important seem good timing balance than tightening everything at all cost.
You can actually set 2400 kit with well programmed SPD/XMP as fast as most these 2800-2933.
I had no chance to play with 2933 MFR kits but TridentX looks like one of the best available around for high clocks.

btw. nice review :thup:

Nice review as usual Hokie :thup:

I was kind of curious: did you try this kit with lower frequency like 2133 or 1866MHz and tighten the timings as far as possible?
From my own experience, high frequency dedicated kits are not necessarly the best if you're looking for tight timings (as I do) with "moderate" frequency :)

Better Hynix MFR kits can usually make 1866 9-10-10 , 2133 9-11-11, 2400 10-12-12 on ~1.60-1.65V but all depends from IC. Since these TridentX are one of the best available then I think it can probably run at slightly tighter timings.
On the other hand I doubt that anyone will buy 2933 kit in this price to run it at 1866/2133 ;)

Thx for the info!

On the other hand I doubt that anyone will buy 2933 kit in this price to run it at 1866/2133 ;)

Well, it is already unbelievable to me spending 300+$ for 8GB DDR3, whatever frequency or timings :rofl:

Btw, could you guys explain me why so much focus is put on reducing tCAS whatever it takes (ie. increasing sometimes drastically other timings)?

From what I understand:
The average read latency should be somewhere between tCAS if the page is active and tCAS+tRP+tRCD (worst case) if I need to close the page before opening an other.
So, if I want to optimize my latency and get the maximum page-hit, I would try to minimize tRCD/tRP, is this right? :bang head

The point is: if I want to see difference in overall read latency between two sticks of RAM, it would be when all the RAM is used, where page-miss occurs more often, increasing the latency.
So if I am more in the case where the latency is tCAS+tRP+tRCD instead of tCAS, what is the point of reducing tCAS by one cycle (from 10 to 9 for instance) and increasing by one cycle tRP AND tRCD?
Aren't we increasing the latency then? :confused:

Sorry if it is confused and unclear, I don't see how to put this simply :chair:

I think you may be over-complicating it, at least from a practical standpoint. Any reduction in timings, in theory, reduces latency, regardless of which one. One problem is that RAM now-a-days, generally speaking, hates tighter tRP. You can usually take tCL down at least one and tRCD can usually be reduced one to three'ish. On the other hand, tRP on most modern Hynix & Samsung chips strongly dislikes being reduced. So that's pretty much why the focus on the other two....because tRP is often incapable of tightening. At least from a user adjustment standpoint.

If you're referring to why manufacturers focus mostly on tCL, that's easy. They're binning to make the chips do the best timings they can with stability to make them look good. When looking at RAM, most people (rightly) consider tCL to be the most important timing. It does have the most impact on performance. Tightening the others and giving up some on tCL generally hurts more than it helps, so that's why you see most kits with a tighter tCL and slightly looser tRP & tRCD.

Sorry but, i think that raw MHz is no use to the daily user of real stuff such as games and not only synthetic benches. Best RAM is usualy the one with best balance between timing and MHz. In the budget range, a 1600/9 9 9 24 kit (8 GB DIMM available) is unbeatable. If someone isnt happy using standart specs and is willing to pay more, then a 2400/ 9 11 11 31 kit (4 GB DIMM only) would be awesome too and overall surely better performing but i truly see no use for MHz (above 2400) or even timing (below CL 9) beyond that level as long as either timing or MHz is unable to achieve a good balance.

So, from the common sense view, that kind cant be recommended (sorry, yes even if we are a overclocker community) but of course just for benching or raw enthusiasm purpose... why not. But definitely there is no practical use for "daily "programs and tasks.

On top of that, i have to say, that a volt number of 1.65 isnt the best bet on a CPU controller (designed for 1.5 V) for 24/7 use and may definitely decrease lifetime. I usualy go with 1.5 V memory, more safe to the CPU controller and i wont even notice the difference in RAM peformance for almost any of my tasks. In term someone want to be stick with 1.5 V, then the best bet would be a 1866/ 8 9 9 24 kit (4 GB DIMM only) but more expensive than a 1600 kit.

Another issue is the size of the sink, when i build small factor PCs, i usualy have coolers with very problematic size around the CPU and sink higher than 40 mm are usualy a issue to me. So, i dont necessarely need low profile but highest possible is "medium profile" such as the one from Ripjaws Z-Series. Most "super high peformance RAMs", either got to huge sinks, bad balance between timing and MHz, bad price/performance ratio and minor performance improvement for daily use or even multiple issues at once. So all in all... just rarely and barely worth it.

Last edited:
I...didn't recommend them. :shrug:

From the review:

For a subset of a subset of overclockers that really enjoy memory overclocking (of which yours truly is one), this kit is tailor made for you. If you find yourself in that subset that is willing to spend a good sum of money purely for the fun of overclocking your memory to DDR3-3000 and beyond – well beyond – this kit has your name written all over it. Believe me it is A. Lot. Of. Fun. Fun in spades. This is a memory geek’s dream at half the price of those DDR3-3000 kits.

For the rest of you, those that value performance over frequency numbers, have a look at the frequencies this kit can achieve. Then say “Ooohh” and “Aaaahhh”. Then go buy a cheaper kit.

As far as the heatsinks, as noted in the review, that top red fin is removable so your comment there is moot.

03.jpg

Ok yes true, i just say in general. But Overclockers wasnt recommending it thats indeed true.

About the sink, in term its able to achieve medium size (when head is removed) then its usualy fine (medium = 40 mm/1.58 inch module height or less). Then i would accept that my comment is moot, but just for that review and not for "general". "Small" size is basically almost same size such as the PCB where the chips are stored (up to 10 mm lesser than medium size) but not a requirement for most high end coolers. Most of them are tuned in order to allow 40 mm, as far as i can see.

Anyway, yes in term its not above 40 mm when head removed its fine regarding that matter. As far as i can see on the picture, using my "sense of proportion" the removal of the head will cut the difference to the top of the PCB by a bit more than half. The total size is 54 mm, the difference to the PCB is about 24 mm, when head removed we may have around 40 mm (54-14 mm), so it may fit the medium range.

Last edited:
Back