• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 32GB RAM Kit Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How do you think that 8GB kit would perform with the i5 3750K?
G.Skill says it's designed to run with the 3770K, and some of the new egg reviewers seem to have issues hitting 2400 speeds with these and i5s.

Tis true, I've seen more i5's with weaker IMCs than i7's for sure. what are the timings on your current RipjawsX kit? That'll help determine whether it's worth the upgrade.

The most they can do is 2000 (1000MHz x 2) with 9-10-9-26 timings. They absolutely will not do more no matter how much timing tweaking, voltage tinkering, etc.
I got them for $69.99 from NewEgg, and with these Tridents being the same price with the promo code, I'm tempted just to RAM them, bite the $5 whatever restocking fee and $5 in shipping. $10 to upgrade to these Tridents doesn't seem bad at all, but then again, effort. lol

Haha, yes indeed...then effort. It wouldn't be a bad upgrade IMO; if they were the older 2133 / 9-11-9-28 kit, I'd say the upgrade wouldn't be worth it, but with it being a newer RipjawsX kit, you'd do well going for the TridentX for only $10. Even if your IMC can't run 2400 frequency, you can always run them at lower speed and tighten the timings. :)

hokiealumnus said:
Woomack over at OCF has a set of these and found out that they like some funky timings. At their rated DDR3-2400 and 1.65V, these are perfectly happy operating with timings of 10-10-13-26.

Can you explain why 10-10-13-26 is a weird timing? Kinda new to this RAM stuff!

It's just different for newer memory. Many newer (Hynix, PSC and some BBSE) kits we've gotten used to have to have a higher tRCD to remain stable. Especially with the faster 2666 G.Skill kits, you have to keep higher tRCD or things will get unstable quickly. I was surprised it could be tightened that much. :)

2400 10-10-12-26 1T 1.65V but 2600 10-10-13-26 1T 1.85V ;) ( at least for 2x4GB kit )

26001010.jpg

Just plugged them into my computer.

At first my computer started going nuts. It went on a reboot loop and all these error messages I had never seen kept popping up. Like... it kept saying some stuff about my SDD and all this crap and I was thinking, "Oh my god, my hard drive failed. I knew I shouldn't have bought OCZ!"

But then I realized that I still had the same timings and stuff from my old RAM set in the BIOS. Quickly changed it all back to Auto and it booted to Windows no problem.
Loaded the XMP profile and it wouldn't load despite voltage.
Loosened timings to 10-12-12-30 @2400 and it booted no problems. Ran Prime and Super Pi with no problems.

So now my task is to get the timings down and as good as possible before trying 2600.

Just plugged them into my computer.
Quickly changed it all back to Auto and it booted to Windows no problem.
Loaded the XMP profile and it wouldn't load despite voltage.
Loosened timings to 10-12-12-30 @2400 and it booted no problems. Ran Prime and Super Pi with no problems.

So now my task is to get the timings down and as good as possible before trying 2600.

Is your kit single or double sided?

I dunno? I bought the ones from the newegg link at the top of the page.

I'm at 2400 10-10-12-26 1T 1.65V with them now. No issues. Good RAM this.

How much of bump to vccio, vccsa to run default speed/timings?

I'm running my 2x4GB kits @2600 using up to 1.20V VCCSA and 1.15V VCCIO but all depends from IMC. That's for both Hynix and Samsung IC on 3770K/M5G.

TridentX 2400 10-10-12-26 1T 1.65V doesn't need much above stock VCCSA/VCCIO so count that 1.15V for both should be enough ( maybe lower but I never checked TridentX on stock clocks for lowest stable VCCIO/SA ).

Back