• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g0dM@n's IHS Removal Tutorial 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
princeofdarknes said:
good to know god ;) cuz i was worried that the stock HSF wouldnt apply enough pressure, if/when i do i'm gonna cut off some pads off an old Athlon 1200 (dead) that i have to use on it to help spread pressure so i dont crack the gainormous core (since its 130nm) but tonight starts the burn-in process, yay, i'm gonna see if it gives me any results, mainly i want a lower vcore, cya
Well, if your temps weren't already high, you may not gain any lower vcore by this... it's merely dropping temps as a guarantee... the rest is not so much luck of the draw, but just a better potential.

the only thing you are doing is scaring by talking about crushing core and breaking the chip

zoobler said:
the only thing you are doing is scaring by talking about crushing core and breaking the chip
I'm sorry, but I do NOT want to promote removing IHS for people who never dared to think about it.

Many people have done this UNsuccessfully, and I definitely don't want to be the blame of it. The warnings are there to be known to those who are iffy. To me it's worth the risk. To others it may not be.

I can afford to lose a CPU... many people can't.

How can one know if their heatsink will apply enough pressure after removing the IHS? Does anyone have any experience with a Swiftech Apogee and a cpu without the IHS?

Prodromo said:
How can one know if their heatsink will apply enough pressure after removing the IHS? Does anyone have any experience with a Swiftech Apogee and a cpu without the IHS?
If it's anything like the Swiftech Storm... it's VERY easy... just remove the mobo bracket, and SLOWLY tighten down each screw on your block. You can bolt it down snug, but don't do it too snug. Turn on your PC after and go into bios... if temp starts going up high really fast, turn the PC off and tighten a bit more... do that until temps are okay, but be sure to not tighten too hard.

My Swiftech Storm uses the mobo bracket in the instructions, which I used to use, but after IHS removal of my 148 a few months ago, I just took away the mobo bracket, and it worked out nicely.

Take your time...

*EDIT*
Forgot... to answer your ques about if a heatsink will put enough pressure is that they all will... you will either have shave down the mobo bracket to accomodate the change, or remove the mobo bracket, depending on the method of cooling.

Keep in mind that your modification will control how much pressure is put on the chip... it's up to the user.

*EDIT2*
I just remembered... yes, if your cooler is using the clips that clasp onto the socket, there will be less pressure iirc. You will still have to shave down the bracket, but there will be less pressure... even though there's less pressure, it still does better with the IHS off. That's how it was with my thermaltake smartboost.

MAKE SURE YOUR HEATSINK DOES NOT REST ON THE HUMP OF THE SOCKET. I feel like some heatsinks will. The hump of the socket is the side that the socket clip is connected to (not the side it's on, but the side it's latched to).

Last edited:
Thanks g0dM@n, I thought it would be easy but just wanted to make sure. I will get around to it sometime soon...

g0dM@n said:
Well, if your temps weren't already high, you may not gain any lower vcore by this... it's merely dropping temps as a guarantee... the rest is not so much luck of the draw, but just a better potential.

nah, i'm sorry, i was talking about hopefully after i burn-in it will allow lower vcore

Prodromo said:
Thanks g0dM@n, I thought it would be easy but just wanted to make sure. I will get around to it sometime soon...
Hopefully I'll have some time to make the thread prettier within a week or so.

I was thinking about removing the IHS on my current 165, but I have another 165 on the way... after testing the new one, I'll decide which to keep and then the lid comes off!! :)

Dental floss sounds interesting...

How strong is the black "caulk"? I wonder if you could leave the cpu on the mobo (or a spare mobo), get floss or fishing line under a corner, and just pop the ihs off. Go ahead, tell me it's a stupid idea, because I really don't know.

DrZDO said:
Dental floss sounds interesting...

How strong is the black "caulk"? I wonder if you could leave the cpu on the mobo (or a spare mobo), get floss or fishing line under a corner, and just pop the ihs off. Go ahead, tell me it's a stupid idea, because I really don't know.

That's a good idea actually.

nice tip g0dM@n, took me 20mins to finally remove the ihs, i was unable to fit razor blade deep enough because the blade got thicker the more i cut in, so i had to use a screw driver carefully to lift up the corner of the ihs so i can fit the whole blade in. once i was in it was easy to cut around the whole thing although i did bump into a couple of transistors but lucky no harm was done.

overall i'm glad i did it before my cpu (3700+ SD) would idle at 32C and around 44-46C load watercooled, but now it idles at 25C and as i'm typing this, im running prime95 and load temps hovers around 31 to 33C so great improvement.

will post back if i can get higher that 2.8Ghz (current o/c).

Last edited:
Nice guide :thup:

Been there, done that. I had 0/zero/zilch gains from removing the IHS on my old 4400+. Add to that it made mounting the Mach II a pita, and now that the CPU magically died i'm out of being able to RMA it. Live and learn eh...

Sucka said:
Nice guide :thup:

Been there, done that. I had 0/zero/zilch gains from removing the IHS on my old 4400+. Add to that it made mounting the Mach II a pita, and now that the CPU magically died i'm out of being able to RMA it. Live and learn eh...
Awwww... can't say if it's helpful with phase.

It's proven helpful for water and aircooling in my case... :( sry, bud.

It's not a matter of what sort of cooling it is, its more a matter of luck. Some of them happen to come with awful IHS mounts, in which case popping it would help on any level of cooling. Some procs have been known to gain around 100MHz on dry ice, etc.

Somehow Sucka always gets all the luck though, so its doubtful he'll ever need to pop an IHS. :p

this is a great post. i came across this post last nite and the first thing i got up this "afternoon" is to follow up on it. it's so tempting to put my cpu on the operation table :_), but not yet ...

hi g0dM@n and everyone .. one question for you is according to the picture, the die surface isn't flat like the ihs, will moutning heating sit awkardly on the die? i mean before, the ihs surface is flat and so is the heatsink surface. Now you get the die surface "isn't flat" (my judgement on the pic, not actually see the die yet) and small. I am afraid my clip-on heat sink won't sit well on the die.

Is the die surface flat or am i being deceived by the picture? any feedback pls?

once again, great stuff you have here ... thank you!

The die surface is flat for the most part... :D

And thx. :)

One question, is it safe to do this with an XP-90C? I really don't want to ruin my Opty (I don't have another $300) and I don't have any of those old AXP pads (whatever they're called). I'd definitely be able to get the IHS off with no problem, but I don't want the HSF crushing the core.

Back