• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g0dM@n's IHS Removal Tutorial 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Soichiro said:
One question, is it safe to do this with an XP-90C? I really don't want to ruin my Opty (I don't have another $300) and I don't have any of those old AXP pads (whatever they're called). I'd definitely be able to get the IHS off with no problem, but I don't want the HSF crushing the core.

If you don't have another $300, then don't remove the IHS. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

tranceaddict said:
If you don't have another $300, then don't remove the IHS. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.
I would take this advice, Soichiro, only b/c you don't have enough money in case you were to screw yourself. Yes, it would work with an XP90C, though... as long as you grinded down your mobo bracket before mounting.

If you are WILLING to take the risks, go look in the MISC section in the classifieds. I'm giving out free pads if you pay shipping.

But to be completely honest, if you can't afford the loss in the case it happened, don't bother.

Last edited:
Good work!!! :)

I had that same stepping too... it's GREAT!

Just wanted to jump in and add I've popped my top. On my 146 opty, that is. ;)

Forgot the exact result before after but it dropped a few degrees.

My tool of choice was a disposable razor that I hacked apart and took one of the blades. Have to be extremely careful to not cut yourself, but it works amazing at getting under the IHS and not cutting the PCB.

srtdodge05 said:
is there anyway to remove the IHS off a pentium D 805?
Sorry, bud... never saw your post. I honestly don't know a thing about INTEL IHS. Supposedly they are SOLDERED, so you may be at a huge risk.

Ask around in the INTEL section... you may get some help there.

By the way, guys, I made a video clip 2 weeks ago of me cutting off the IHS on my 165... anyone know how I can edit the video? I recorded with my Fuji Finepix F10 6.3mp, and wanted to cut it down a lot.

@g0dM@n.. he asked in the 805D results thread to, we got it answered :)

btw.. ever since you posted this I had the urge to act confused and tell you that your method wasnt working on this pressy over here ROFL :p

does your finepix output .avg's? (my S5500 does)

Just Popped my Opty 148 using the tutorial and I can't talk about OC gain yet since I'm just begining to play with but here are the results I see on the spot.

Before on cured AS5 (idle/load) with my rad fans at 7v: 28/41
After on uncured AS5 (idle/load) with my rad at 7v: 25/31
After on uncured AS5 (idle/load) with my rad at 12v: 23/29
*all temp are 24h average

The IHS was slightly convexe and the TIM on the die was not excessive. I'm currently working on my new OC, I'll keep you all posted (old OC was 3.0ghz CPU x11 272htt)

Edit: First temp is with the IHS on and the 2 other reading are with a naked CPU. Sorry if I confused you g0dM@n, should have said "Before IHS removal" and "After IHS removal".

Last edited:
23c idle, 29 load with ihs in tact? christ, even at stock voltages with ihs off on my swiftech storm, i've never been even close to that low.

can't see how much less your temps can go since your load is already below 30! haha

what vcore were you running with the temps you just stated?

Ok one thing I forgot to mention is that ambiant is at 19c (+/- 0.5C) and that I have the little river G4/Storm. Vcore is currently at 1.425v. Aslo remember I have a neo2 plat mobo which is a POS so I would just compare thoses temp with the other temp comming from that mobo, It might be off but I know that error(what ever it might be) is constant.

Updated section:
Mounting a Cooler that Uses the Motherboard Bracket

>HyperlogiK< said:
nice guide, going for the record number of stickies?
If only you guys knew how many questions I ask people... I feel like I owe so much more!!! :D

Update: couldn't get a single Mhz more out of that CPU (tried up to 1.6V) but I was able to lower myVcore by 0.025 which means I'm not 3.0Ghz on stock voltage...

What do you mean not 3.0ghz on stock voltage... was that your aim? I have yet to see a chip do 3.0ghz on stock volts fully stable, lol. :D

But your temps definitely dropped a lot, right? :)

Silmatharien said:
great guide. I'd be interested to see some pictures of the shaved down mobo bracket.

I seriously have no clue what he was talking about with shaving the motherboard bracket. On my motherboard brackets I just removed the four circular nubs that the HS normally sits on. That gives it the perfect fit and there is no way to screw up. Maybe there are different stock bracket designs? I have only seen one on all my boards though.

Back