• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-770TA-UD3 overclock without mosfet/vrm heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pnrxtx

Registered
So i bought this GA-770TA-UD3 since i needed a mobo with only one pciex16 slot and didn't want to pay like 30% more for higher end mobos with crossfire support which i will never use. What bothers me is that all gigabyte mobos without crossfire come with naked mosfets.
I have now phenomII x4 945(95w version) overclocked to @3750 1.44v with cool&quite active( didnt touch cpu multi when ocing). Since C&Q is active when system is idling or just browsing web, mosfets are barely warm, but on full load they are ofcourse hurt to touch.
So would it be safe for mobo to leave cpu at 1.44v considering that cpu is 98w at full load and mobo supports up to 140w. At idle cpu drops to 26w 1.04v being 25c temp, on full load cpu is 48c cooled by Zalman CNPS10X-Performa.

Last edited:
Why not just go on Newegg and spend $10 for some Enzotech copper mosfet coolers? But nice OC on the 945. Voltages look good. Investing in those heatsinks can prolong the life of the board.

Why not just go on Newegg and spend $10 for some Enzotech copper mosfet coolers? But nice OC on the 945. Voltages look good. Investing in those heatsinks can prolong the life of the board.

sadly i live in country where there is no Enzotech products for sell. Only way to get mosfet heatsink is to cut it by self.

:welcome: to OCF!

How about the other voltages on your system? Is your cpuNB running 1.175v, RAM at 1.50v, etc.? If so you can maybe get by without the MOSFET coolers since the CPU is the only thing you're pushing. I would still cool them, though, if possible. If nothing else can you add a small fan to blow across the MOSFETs ...?

Northbridge oced to 2500mhs with default NB voltage(1.1v) and +0.025v(1.2250v) on CPU NB Vid to stabilize those NB frequencies. RAM also on def volts 1.5v.
What i noticed on Gigabyte website that they write "* Please apply sufficient cooling to CPU VRM zone when ACC function is enabled." for all mobos with "4+1 phase VRM". While mobos with "8+2 phase VRM" like my doesn't have this warning.

Personally, I don't like any of my chips running too hot to touch. I guess if you never run your system at full load then it doesn't matter. :shrug:

The NB (chipset) voltage isn't related to the cpuNB. They are connected through the HT Link but that's the only connection they have ...

Last edited:
Well i do use my system for gaming, other wise would be no point in ocing. Gaming maybe max 2 hours straight. But i guess ill have to cut a basic heatsink for mosfets myself, since there is none in shops here in my country.

I've made my own heatsinks out of old aluminum CPU coolers, it's not too bad. Aluminum cuts pretty easy with a hacksaw. The hardest part is getting them attached. I think I bought some thermal pads with adhesive on it when I did it. Now you can sometimes find TIM that's also an adhesive ...

Why would i want to use adhesive. It will glue heatsink permanently and break warranty, since mosfets will get damaged if i will ever want to remove heatsink for warranty purposes. I'm thinking to just use plastic screws, since motherboard has screw holes.

fsadadaf.png

Can this piece of aluminum be called heatsink :D ?
del

Made from old hdd radiator. Its height was kinda small, so don't how its gonna work out.

Last edited:
Back