• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7N400 Pro2 will not boot to WinXP OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CBWAR

The System:
MB: GA-7N400 Pro2 Version 1.0
Bios: Award version F11
Memory: (X2) Corsair 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Processor: AMD Athlon XP3000+ CPU Barton Core 333FSB
Cooling: Aero Cool Deep Impact 102
AGP Video: XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
Power supply: Antec 430 True Power and Antec 350 W True Blue

The 430True Power supply would shut off between 0-120 seconds (Randomly). I checked all the connections including; Clk_SW, Clk_Ratio, the ATX_12V connection, thermal paste on the processor die, removed all non-essential powered devices. I replaced the power supply with the 350 True Blue and the system power no longer shut down. When in the bios the CPU temp showed 48C. At this point the MB seems OK, however when selected the FSB at 200 the system would not post. Selected 166 and the system posted.

I installed a WD ATA-100 HD with Windows XP (SP-2) and tried the boot, the screen quickly flashed blue and the system rebooted. I used a spare WD ATA66 HD and proceeded to reload Windows XP (SP-1) and the following occurred: The OS loaded all drivers and proceed to setup for installation after it was finished the system rebooted and MB would would not boot to the HD. The Bios recognizes as active and it is in the boot table, however the screen will continue to boot from CD (even if the CD option is removed from the boot table), when the OS CD is in the drive it will run the setup process again and then reboots, this will continue to happen.

The question is, why won’t the OS boot after a clean install? Any help or tools would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CB

Back