• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3+ support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerix01

So I have a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 version 2.0. I see a 3.1 model was released with the same chipset and board layout but the 3.x supports AM3+ processors and mine does not have a BIOS upgrade for it. Anyone know the reason for this? Did the socket pin layout change from AM3 to AM3+?

The AM3 socket on the 890FX has only 940 holes. The Zambezi cpu has 942 pins. Plus needs higher current than many older mbs can provide. Older AMD cpus can fit the new AM3+ socket but the Zambezi can not fit the AMD3 socket unless you pull out a couple of pins;). Also the pins are larger diameter on the Zambezi.

The 890FXA-UD5 Rev 3.1 was released by GA in order to enable to them to support BD cpus on the 890FX chipset. If you look carefully at the two boards (Rev 2.0 vs Rev 3.1) you will notice that the newest one has the black socket (that is the new socket that takes the extra pins on BD).

Back