• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED GA-890FXA-UD5 Reboot Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This may sound stupid, but did you try resetting the CMOS? My brand new board (the one in my sig) wouldn't read the RAM speed correctly until I reset the CMOS. Also I found out I had a failing hard drive which was causing issues similar to what you are having. New hard drive fixed it. :thup:

Hi Vanibanez,
Thanks for joining in the discussion. I guess you didn't read the OP:

...It also doesn't matter what hard drive I have in place (or one at all for that matter) the problem still occurs on reboot...

I have reset the CMOS several times. Especially after I flashed the BIOS from F5 to F6.

Its not a problem with reading SPD information for memory speed / timings because I've even set it manually to the JEDEC specifications and even underclocked it just to see if problem would resolve. I've done so much testing on this board with various configurations thinking it was the memory / devices, that it has boiled down to either CPU, PSU, or mobo.

Even Gigabyte doesn't have answer for this issue, but I just know if I RMA it that its going to get returned with them saying its fine...

I'm looking in the BIOS at this moment (typing from my laptop instead), and it says Normal CPU Vcore is set at 1.3750 V and I cannot adjust it. Right above it, it says CPU Voltage Control [NORMAL] so when adjust it, it basically does -0.025V and a blue number to right comes up to 1.3500 V. However from my understanding thats basically under volting the CPU in comparison to what is set on CPU-Z.

I have attached an image of the BIOS so you can see what I'm talking about.

Suggestions?

The Vcore control reminds me of my old school Soyo board. (SY-K7VTA-B) (Wow, that was in 2001!)
With that board, you adjust the Vcore in 0.025 V steps. For 1.425 V, select "+0.050V".

Have you tried to go back to a previous BIOS say F3 or F4? Im running v 2.1 with F3 and have not updated since i go by the mantra if it aint broke dont fix it. I would be inclined to believe that you have a physical problem on your mobo of a weak/slow leaking capacitor which is why Gigabyte is saying RMA the mobo.

High possibility of RAM problem.

The UD5 don't take the Crucial times as default. Try with 8-8-8-21-1T and 1.65V for 1600MHZ mine has run without problems after those change in settings.

High possibility of RAM problem.

The UD5 don't take the Crucial times as default. Try with 8-8-8-21-1T and 1.65V for 1600MHZ mine has run without problems after those change in settings.

Sorry for not responding earlier. I haven't abandoned this thread, I've just been busy with life unfortunately.

I have not tried those specific settings yet, but I really don't think there is a problem with RAM timings / speed. I have tried down clocking the ram and loosening the timings and the same result occurs.

I don't want to dismiss helpful suggestions, I just really don't think it will make a difference playing with timings at this point.

One thing that I did discover recently is that on the front of my case, is a long strip of Blue LEDs encased in clear plastic (Thermaltake SopranoDX case). This long strip of LEDs appears to be flickering recently / not lighting fully. Which from my experience would indicate a power supply issue. If there is a power supply problem it would go hand and hand with the problems that I'm experiencing (turning off the power to the entire system to get it to POST and operate at full speeds).

The next thing I'm going to try is a new power supply, once I get enough funds to be a decent supply. (Tax refund is coming in soon!) Although I have tested my supply with a power supply testor, but I've found that doesn't always indicate whether there is a problem with the supply or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent power supply? I'd ideally like to get a supply with one +12 V rail so I don't have to worry about any wattage split on the rails as I hear that is better for overclocking and more power hungry components. I am aware of the problem that single rail supplies have (less protection from frying power supplies and more risk on frying components.

Try with the new PSU and let us know the results, I suggested the timings settings because we have the same mobo and same RAM manufacturer. The RAM never works fine with the defaults settings, but as soon as I changed that timings the rig runs like a charm

Try with the new PSU and let us know the results, I suggested the timings settings because we have the same mobo and same RAM manufacturer. The RAM never works fine with the defaults settings, but as soon as I changed that timings the rig runs like a charm

It seems to run fine even if the RAM is set to the the default on the label (or even SPD) or your settings (which I did try). The same result occurs on reboot either way. Thanks for the tip regardless.

Wow. First post was in March. LOL.

Anyways. I got a new power supply. Corsair HX750W. Its supposed to be a single RAIL modular power supply. It actually looks pretty good. (BTW. I LOVE the smell of new computer parts in the morning :D ).

I'll throw it in within a day or two and see how everything goes.

Wow. First post was in March. LOL.

Anyways. I got a new power supply. Corsair HX750W. Its supposed to be a single RAIL modular power supply. It actually looks pretty good. (BTW. I LOVE the smell of new computer parts in the morning :D ).

I'll throw it in within a day or two and see how everything goes.

Update:

System is acting even weirder now. The system won't even boot into windows now, even if its a cold boot. The system just stays super slow ALL the time now. I'm going to RMA the motherboard and see what happens.

Update:

System is acting even weirder now. The system won't even boot into windows now, even if its a cold boot. The system just stays super slow ALL the time now. I'm going to RMA the motherboard and see what happens.

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that my man. It is very strange indeed, but not impossible. Even great manufacturers like Gigabyte will sometimes let a "bad apple" slip through the quality control points they have... I say RMA that board and see if the replacement board fixes your issues. I've had my 890FXA-UD5 for a few months now and have never had a problem with it.

Update: Bought a new motherboard for testing purposes which I planned on using in other build anyways. ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3. Nice motherboard. All sorts of LED indicators for POST troubleshooting.

In any case. System won't boot. I got it to boot once and shortly thereafter it sad fatal error. When it tries to boot there are not POST beeps...... none. I'm confused.

I've narrowed it down to either the CPU or RAM though in this case, because thats all thats left from the previous build LOL.

I'm beginning to question whether or not my CPU is the culprit. Suggestions anyone? I'm tired of spending money on this rig.

I don't have another DDR3 system at home to test it with. I may be able to test on a another rig in the office though...

Do it, we need test all components to find out what is the problematic component in your rig.

OKAY! FINALLY SOLVED. I have replaced EVERY Major component regarding this setup. To Summarize:

-NEW PSU did nothing but create further weirder issues (elaboration can be found in earlier posts)
-NEW CPU resulted in exact same results as original post (ie: power cycle required for reboot)
-NEW Memory did absolutely nothing. All memory was tested in another system to ensure proper functionality including the original ballistix memory from crucial. Everything passed OK.
-NEW MOTHERBOARD: Original first uses had minor issues like not booting but was able to get around it by trying to boot several times. Once inside the BIOS I did a firmware update to fresh the data just in case. FLAWLESS PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY AFTERWARDS.

THEREFORE!!!!! THIS IS FINALLY SOLVED. END RESULT WAS INDEED THE MOTHERBOARD. Now if I can only make Gigabyte see this issue as well. Waiting on results of RMA.

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO POSTED FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE! :)

Back