• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-MA74GM-S2H SB Overheating.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancerguy

Registered
Hey guys, first poster here. Thanks for having me.

I've got 2 Sempron 140 I was tweaking and testing yesterday. The 2nd core on one is no good, so I was working with one core. Got it to 3.5Ghz, ran prime95 overnight. Southbridge temp in the morning was 75C. Same as an untweaked one.

The second Sempron had a good second core so I kept it unlocked. I was running it with the following settings: HT Link Freq: down to 800, CPU Multi: down to x12, NB Freq: down to x8, CPU Frequency: up from 200 to 275, RAM Divider down to 2.66 (=732Mhz for 800Mhz RAM). Only 1 voltage adjusted: CPU Voltage: +0.075. I was running prime95 overnight on it as well. When I came in this morning, it was still running good, but the Southbridge temp in HWMonitor was 92C! I turned off and now the board doesn't POST - dead. Tested with new MB OK. Anyway, my question is about the SB temp. Why is it so high?

Thanks for the insight! I just don't want to consistently fry boards.

:welcome: to OCF!

I guess my first questions would have to be,
How do you know it was the SB temp?
What program are you using to monitor your board temps?

My next questions are,
What CPU cooler are you using?
What video card do you have?

I don't know of any program off-hand that monitors SB temps on an AMD board because, generally, there isn't a sensor there. I'm not saying yours doesn't have one - it's been awhile since I bought a Gigabyte board, but it could be you're seeing another temp, or maybe even what I call a "ghost temp" in HWMonitor or whatever program you're using.

If it's a ghost temp then there's nothing to worry about but it could be a different temp on your board, like the CPU or MOSFETs, in which case your CPU cooler and video card could be effecting things.

Just something to start down the trouble-shooting road ... :)

As QuietIce indicated, it is common for the hardware environment monitoring programs to give some real off the wall high "mystery reading" that causes you to worry even though everything seems to function correctly. Let me assure you, on an AMD system if you were actually getting temps as high as you are reporting your system would not be stable or it would have died by now. It's simply some kind reporting error that you are seeing.

Well guys, thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, I'm using HWMonitor to monitor my temps. It Has 0,1,2 temps. I've read that 0 and 1 are for gauging your CPU temp. From what I can tell by feeling with my hand, temps seem to be accurate. Temp 2 is what I'm assuming is the SB, because when I put my hand on the heatsink, it's frikkin hot, and the temp reading is normally between 74C (on the low end) and 80something (on the high end). I'm using the stock CPU cooler, and onboard video. After messing with it today for quite a long time, I found out that my CPU is actually fried. The Mobo came back to life after sitting overnight and getting a CMOS reset...The CPU does not POST. I'm not too concerned about the loss of the CPU, but I don't really understand why it died? My OPINION was that the added .075 to CPU voltage wasn't really that much. I also thought it was really strange that the system was FUNCTIONAL, CPU was not hot, and everything shut down OK before it died.

Any insight would be appreciated, I enjoy learning things I do not know, I'm just learning about this stuff, and I'm trying to read everything I can.

Thanks!

Which one are you meaning 0,1,2? I see the core section for 0,1,2,3 (which makes sense since mine is a quad core) then I see cpu for the socket temp. then I see mainboard temp which is a ghost temp on mine since I can put my finger on the South Bridge/North Bridge and Mosfet and it is luke warm at most.

HWTemp.jpg

Well, in your pic HWMonitor shows CPU, Mainboard, and TMPIN2. Mine shows TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2.

I have this same motherboard with a Sempron 140 overclocked to 3.5 also. I use Speedfan and the Temp1 registers as high as 83C for what I assume is the SB. I've given up trying to figure this phantom temperature. I've been running this mobo/CPU combo since February of this year and have had nary a problem. I have no idea what the heck that temp is coming from.

Got to say the GA-MA74GM-S2H is a sweet, cheap motherboard. And with the Sempron 140 CPU, it is extremely fast and stable.

Well, in your pic HWMonitor shows CPU, Mainboard, and TMPIN2. Mine shows TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2.

That's normal depending on what HWMonitor can read from the sensors' encoded info. TMPIN0 is usually the CPU socket temp.

Back