• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga-z87x-oc (force) fans spin for 1 second then off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voked

I bought ga-z87x-oc and a 4790k. 1 stick of ram, all the CPU power cables in, fans would turn on for one second then the whole system would turn off (psu and all). Troubleshooted for a whole day, then gave up and bought a z97 sabertooth (this was not my PC).

I also had a ga-z87x-oc Force to do a build with, which, since then, I had dreaded that day. The day has came, and, of course, I have the exact same issue. PSU this time is a Coolermaster v1000 with all correct cables plugged in, a 4790k and 1 stick off 8gb dominator RAM.

What is also interesting is that on the z87x-oc and this z87x-oc force boards, the issue would be the exact same with no CPU power cables plugged in. Just tested with no CPU - same thing. Tried it on the other Asus z87 board and the board fully starts despite no CPU or CPU power cables...

Aware I need a BIOS update for haswell refresh CPUs to work, I took an i5 4670 from a nearby PC and put it in. Exact same issue (though that also says it requires F7 BIOS). Not sure what BIOS the board has at the moment. All the switches are either on 'off' or '1'. The buttons are un-depressed (ignition particularly).

I have tried with just the orange RAM slots filled, and tried with just one stick in each slot.

Do I need the correct BIOS to just get to the BIOS? I didn't think so, since other build logs have no issues with either CPU I've mentioned. But I am out of ideas, so any assistance would be very appreciated...

Just tried the 4790k in the other z87 PC. Started fine. WHY DOES THIS SERIES OF BOARDS HATE ME

10814091_792273317500908_244817843_n.jpg

Last edited:
Outside of the curiosity of only running stick as opposed to two in dual channel, is it in the right slot for single stick operation?

Some boards may not work with DC unless that bios is updated... Not sure if that is it, but, it and the memory is the first place I would look.

I tried each slot with 1 stick. Just tried with the two orange slots filled. Same thing.

That is a good idea, though the person I bought the first board off is also in Australia and he said he thinks he remembers having the same issue, but does not remember how he resolved it.

Back