• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gainward FX5600 PowerPack! Ultra/760 VsTI4200 64 meg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randy

Hi, I'm not a gamer and I am not up on Vid cards other that to know what owns on the Orb, I have 2 cards sitting here to choose from to put a low buck system together for my friends kids to play on. These are my choices so please don't suggest any other cards, this is all I have to work wth :eek:
One is an ASUS TI 4200 V8420 64 meg. 250/513 and the other is a new Gainward FX5600 PowerPack! Ultra/760 128meg that is supposed to be 400/800 but I have not installed it yet to see if that is in fact what it's default core and mem clocks are.
Here is a link to a review on the card I have, http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/Gainward5600U/5600U.htm

This should be a no brainer but I have'nt heard much in the way of good things about the FX5600 cards but one would think that it would be better than the older TI 4200 . As I understand it dx9 games are playable as long as you leave AA/AF off with the 5600 series cards. I figured I would come in here and ask what do you experts think? As I only want to put this thing together once and I'll hopefully not have to mess with it again as it's going to be a freebee from me to my buddy for his kids. The total system specs are:
Epox 8RDA non plus rev 2.0 with vantec iceberg HSF on NB 2X256 Geil PC2700 CL 2.5 Ram
XP 1700 with thermaltake Xaser edition HSF Western Digital 20 gig 7200 rpm HD Liteon DVD/CDR drive and 54x lite on CD drive, Enermax EG365P PSU and a modded generic case with good cooling. Please help me make a well informed choice between which of these cards would be the best choice for this system.
TIA,
Randy

The 5600, I think, will be better for most games, and it will also be able to run some nice AA settings in older titles.

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have a Gainward FX5600 PowerPack! Ultra/760 or other comparable FX5600 card that has had a GF4TI4200 that can comment on the speed difference between the two?

I just bought a Asylum FX 5600 Ultra to replace my Asylum TI4200 and they both come with 128MB. I am some what disappointed as I expected the FX 5600 Ultra to run smoother in Halo but it proves to be the opposite.

There maybe some advantage in the future for the FX as they fine-tune the nVidia driver and more DirectX 9 games.

Last edited:
you are probably running on outdated drivers. most FX 5600 owners are reporting Halo running smooth as silk with the new 5x.xx.
t30t28t16t12 said:
I just bought a Asylum FX 5600 Ultra to replace my Asylum TI4200 and they both come with 128MB. I am some what disappointed as I expected the FX 5600 Ultra to run smoother in Halo but it proves to be the opposite.
There maybe some advantage in the future for the FX as they fine-tune the nVidia driver and more DirectX 9 games.

keep the Ti 4200 for yourself since you won't be gaming. :)

Back